• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gantz Creator Hiroya Oku Sells 1998 Artwork As NFT

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I will never understand the appeal of that.
Having a real drawing displayed on your wall? Sure. That's pretty cool. NFT? Meh.
But I guess rich people can flex however they want.
Sarcataclysmal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:02 pm Reply with quote
>Oku also elaborated on Twitter that he has previously sold his physical artwork through charity auctions on Yahoo! Auctions. On those occasions, he was asked by overseas fans if there was a way to buy his work from outside Japan. His solution was to put his work onto the NFT marketplace.
>The minimum bid is one wrapped Ether (WETH) token, priced at US$3,088.25.

Good meme.
olgita

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Goddammit
pikabot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
LMAO, of course he did. Hiroya Oku's exactly the kind of schmuck who'd get into NFTs.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oku also elaborated on Twitter that he has previously sold his physical artwork through charity auctions on Yahoo! Auctions. On those occasions, he was asked by overseas fans if there was a way to buy his work from outside Japan. His solution was to put his work onto the NFT marketplace.

None of these people have heard of deputy services? They've been around for well over 15 years.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Just finished right-clicking and saving image.

Which, I would like to point out for anyone who has the blessed privilege of not knowing how NFTs work and keeping that idiocy out of their brain, is also still what the person who buys the NFT will have to do to have a copy of the image in their possession.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Buying one of these things should come with a complimentary "Dumbass" tattoo across one's forehead to warn the rest of us.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote
Kyo Hisagi wrote:
Having a real drawing displayed on your wall? Sure. That's pretty cool. NFT? Meh.

It's like those relatives who buy stars for a little kid. It's just a nice gesture, a flex, if you will. You're paying for the pride of saying you own something, even if you technically don't. I don't really consider that a scam, just one way people who have disposable income to flex that they can afford to do something like this. Personally, I feel people should be able to do whatever they want their with money, even if I don't have much desire for this kind of stuff myself.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:29 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

It's like those relatives who buy stars for a little kid. It's just a nice gesture, a flex, if you will. You're paying for the pride of saying you own something, even if you technically don't. I don't really consider that a scam, just one way people who have disposable income to flex that they can afford to do something like this. Personally, I feel people should be able to do whatever they want their with money, even if I don't have much desire for this kind of stuff myself.

Except buying a star doesn't use the electricity of a small country to do
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:55 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Kyo Hisagi wrote:

Well that's what I said. They can spend their money however they want but it's kinda dumb to me and they could have spent in on something else. Buying a real manga page, building a library with rare books or hanging on your wall some Renessaince painting is much, much cooler, instead of being "an owner" of a jpeg image. But hey. Looks like a lot of people think otherwise. Good for them. Good for them.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Just finished right-clicking and saving image.

Which, I would like to point out for anyone who has the blessed privilege of not knowing how NFTs work and keeping that idiocy out of their brain, is also still what the person who buys the NFT will have to do to have a copy of the image in their possession.

Well, for a couple of grand I would hope they would flash it up a bit. Email you an .exe which gives you a LQ image with a hideous watermark covering up the good bits and when you enter your purchase code saves a HQ uncensored version on your HDD and gives you the option to print it "if your printer is good enough to do justice to this art work." Yeah, I know that is five minutes of coding, but if you are buying NFTs, I think it would tell you that you are getting value for your money. Laughing
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
How weird to see HEN mentioned in context of a NFT. I don't think I've seen HEN seriously referenced for well around two decades now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1