• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disgaea dub.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
A little bit ago, I saw a little of the Disgaea anime. However it was subbed. I wasn't too intrested then. So I found a copy of Disgaea dubbed. After watching the first four episodes, I loved it. I gotta say the dub's really good. Laharl's voice is my favorite out of all of them. Etna's is good too but I think Laharl's is better. Flonne's voice WOULD be better if she would stop talking about love all the time. I know that's how she's supposed to be but she's like Tea from Yu-GI-Oh! except her speeches are on love instead of friendship. The jokes are still there such as spoiler[ Laharl giving Vyers the name "Mid-Boss".]

So that's my opinion on the Disgaea dub. I'd like to hear opinions from those that have seen the anime. Is the sub good?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I've heard the dub from the game, and I think most of the voices were also used for the anime, which sounds okay. I've only seen the anime in Japanese, but have to say it's pretty good. I found Laharl's voice to be bratty, yet full of spunk, and I really like his laugh. All of the supporting characters have distinct voices as well, with my favorites being General Carter and Vyers/Mid-boss. The character chemistry is there, and overall I feel they do a good job making the series feel clichéd, but unique and fun at the same time. I'd give it a B or B+.

The problem I have with dubs in general, though, is that a lot of times they'll miscast characters with voices that try too hard to mimic the original seiyuu. When the dub voice can't hit the same range, you sometimes end up forcing yourself to strain your voice, and thus the role is already in peril. A good example would be Excel's dub actress (from Excel Saga) and how she had to be replaced because she blew out her vocal chords trying to be the US equivalent to Kotono Mitsuishi (which is pretty hard by the way, at least for that role in particular).

Then again, if you just ignore casting in the first place and concentrate soley on script instead, you shoot yourself in the foot and automatically cut out at least half of the original effectiveness. Give Zipang a listen for a great example of careless voice casting Rolling Eyes. Terrible, terrible. It's like they butchered it on purpose and are forcing you to listen to it in Japanese, which by the way has some pretty good seiyuu in the line up, but still. It's nice to be able to listen to anime in either language.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
On the topic of the voices, if I recall, Laharl's voice in the dub is the exact same as his voice in the game. I believe the same is true with Vyers/Mid-Boss. Etna's and Flonne's however I do believe were changed.

I also agree with you, Tony, about some voice actors trying to sound like the original seiryuu. I've only seen one dub where a character sounded like they do in the sub and that was Naruto. If you listen closely to english Naruto's voice, you can hear that it sounds just like his sub voice. Sounds like some voice actors have a case of Copycatitis.

Anyway what I like about Disgaea is that it doesn't take itself seriously. It's a silly, entertaining game/anime that is ..well just fun. I actually found myself liking all the chracters a lot. Even Flonne with all her love speeches. I especially like Laharl and the Prinnies. Laharl's voice suits him pretty well since he appears to be a kid(Is 1313 when demons become teenagers?) and his voice sounds like a kid's. I don't know what to say about the Prinnies though. I guess that I like how they always say "dood" since I usually say dude a lot too.

And one last thing I agree with you on, Tony is that it IS nice to listen to anime in different langueges. Dub(Unless it's 4kid's work) or sub. Or other.

BTW, what's Zipang?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
Zipang is a WWII anime with a great amount of drama and military/naval warfare where voice acting is especially important among the cast of characters. It's currently licensed by Geneon, but the credits were actually left in Japanese, and none of the English staff is credited.

Needless to say, an excellent Japanese voice cast is horribly recorded over by a jumble of stereotyped and stale "US army guy voices." If you're familiar with Yuuji Ueda, just try to imagine any one of his characters dubbed over by an old country bumpkin, senile southern redneck voice, and that's just how his character is treated itself. The rest of the cast is equally insulting.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:21 am Reply with quote
That's my problem with dubs in general, poor voice choices. That's always slayers' number one flaw.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
I heard a few minutes of the Disgaea dub on a trailer that was on one of the Tenj-ho Tenge discs; it sounded pretty fun, but I've never seen it in Japanese or played the game, so I don't have a basis for comparison. Thanks for the warning on the Zipang dub, Tony K.; I'll make sure to steer clear of it if I ever watch the series, in "iceberg dead ahead!" mode.
bennyb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:32 am Reply with quote
I saw a trailer for this and it looked funny. ^^^ Oh look its an add for disgaea dub Lolz. I figure I'll wait to play the game first.
gloworm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Zipang is a WWII anime with a great amount of drama and military/naval warfare where voice acting is especially important among the cast of characters. It's currently licensed by Geneon, but the credits were actually left in Japanese, and none of the English staff is credited.

I heard the dub was done in Singapore, like Bandai did with Fantastic Children.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
bennyb wrote:
I saw a trailer for this and it looked funny. ^^^ Oh look its an add for disgaea dub Lolz. I figure I'll wait to play the game first.

Yeah. I was surprised to see an ad for Disgaea. Pretty cool.

And bennyb, be sure to pick up Hour of Darkness. That's the Disgaea game the anime was based off on.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
Etna's is good too but I think Laharl's is better. Flonne's voice WOULD be better if she would stop talking about love all the time. I know that's how she's supposed to be but she's like Tea from Yu-GI-Oh! except her speeches are on love instead of friendship.
I thought the dub was good as well. I can't understand Japanese so I'm not sure how good the sub VAs are, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are as good as the dub VAs. It's just that the Disgaea anime is a kinda kiddie-ish show, and these tend to be more watchable and go over better when in your native language. The anime itself is not that good so it really helps to have it in English, that way it feels like a Saturday morning kiddy cartoon rather than a crappy anime you wasted your $10 to $30 on (hurray for Suncoast's current 50% off all Geneon sale).

I totally laughed at your analogy between Flonne and Tea though. LOL, those speeches! ;D~

And this is the perfect time for me to mention that the Anime News Network encyclopedia listing for Etna's dub VA is WRONG!! I already submitted a Error Report a week ago but nothing changed, plus I made a thread on these forums in the Encyclopedia section. I did a lot of checking and listening and I am 99% sure that Etna's dub VA in the anime (I've never played the games so I dunno about those) is Michelle Ruff. It is NOT Amanda Winn Lee (Mimiru from hacksign) nor Kim Mai Guest (Subaru from hacksign). But everyone else seems to be correct, and from what I hear those are carried over from the game as well.

Also in the Geneon dubbed trailer for the Disgaea anime, the 5:00 long version, Etna is voiced by Kate Higgins, not Michelle Ruff. My ears told me all this, the anime itself has no VA credits listed. I'm not the best voice identifier out there but I checked this one carefully so I'm quite sure I'm right about this.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I totally laughed at your analogy between Flonne and Tea though. LOL, those speeches! ;D~

Glad to see you found that funny. They just seem so alike to me. I like Flonne better though.

I've also picked up the first volume of the Disgaea manga. Yet I don't see it listed on the encyclopedia. I might add it however, the titles I submit don't get listed(Except for Tales of Symphonia(Manga)).

Anyway, I've really enjoyed the dub. I've found myself watching it tons and tons of times. I still say Laharl and Mid Boss have the best voices(Mid boss' french accent is so fake but so funny). Etna sounds more like a young adult in the Disgaea dub whereas in the game, she sounds like she's around 16 or 17. Flonne sounds kind of like a little kid.

And yes, hurray for Suncoast having a 50% off sale on Geneon merchandise.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Sandy Fox who did Flonne in the anime (supposedly in the games as well) always sounds like that. Like a little kid. It's probably a fake cartoon character voice but she does it really well.

Michelle Ruff who did Etna generally does adult women voices these days. Her voice is not so good for doing little kids. She doesn't really do fake cartoon character little-girl voices well, but her natural voice is excellent for adult or young adult women. With Etna I notice she is trying to talk higher than normal but still not that much. Her voice is best that way, some people can do the little kid fake thing well but some people can't.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Sandy Fox who did Flonne in the anime (supposedly in the games as well) always sounds like that. Like a little kid. It's probably a fake cartoon character voice but she does it really well.

This is the only anime I know Sandy Fox had anything to do with. I don't pay attention to who's voicing them.

Quote:
Michelle Ruff who did Etna generally does adult women voices these days. Her voice is not so good for doing little kids. She doesn't really do fake cartoon character little-girl voices well, but her natural voice is excellent for adult or young adult women. With Etna I notice she is trying to talk higher than normal but still not that much. Her voice is best that way, some people can do the little kid fake thing well but some people can't.

Now that you bring that up, I've noticed Etna's voice is a little different than her game voice. Did the same actress do her voice for the game?
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it. Re-read my first post in this thread. The game information is probably where the erroneous Anime News Network encyclopedia VA listing for Etna came from. They ought to remove it, I am kind of annoyed that they aren't responding to my Error submission on that piece of info.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, Porcupine, that IS a possibility. I think Etna had different voice actoresses do her voice.

Anyway, I'm anxiously waiting for the next Disgaea DVD to come out. But it won't be for two months yet. WHY do all the good things take forever? Well at least it's on DVD. And if any series of 2006 were to come overseas, I'm glad it's Disgaea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4