• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Thunderbolt Fantasy Puppet Show Gets New Sequel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
Great news to hear. I love TF and this means more Urobuchi and TMR. I do wish he'd return to Psycho-Pass though.
olgita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah, more of my puppets please Very Happy
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
Yes! The third season ended on uite the cliffhanger, so it's great news.
JojoJoeojou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:54 am Reply with quote
Hm, the wording implies it's S4, no new movie first? Or maybe it will get announced later, idk on what timing the previous movies were announced
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Season 3 was the best yet, so I expect the bar on Urobuchi's magnum opus to continued to be raised by the next season.

Of course, I also expect zero coverage of it as well by ANN.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Ya know, both season 1 and 2 were covered by streaming reviews. Many of the reviewers have also said how much they enjoy the show overall. It's indeed gotten coverage, so I don't know where your assumption is coming from.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
Zeino wrote:

Ya know, both season 1 and 2 were covered by streaming reviews. Many of the reviewers have also said how much they enjoy the show overall. It's indeed gotten coverage, so I don't know where your assumption is coming from.

Oh, you misunderstand. I'm well aware of the first two season being well-covered over here, I was talking about Season 3 and onward. In a post Zac Bertschy site, it seems like the interest for it has vanished. No streaming reviews or even a post-airing full season review happened for Thunderbolt Fantasy 3. And I have feeling that won't change for further seasons.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:03 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Oh, you misunderstand. I'm well aware of the first two season being well-covered over here, I was talking about Season 3 and onward. In a post Zac Bertschy site, it seems like the interest for it has vanished. No streaming reviews or even a post-airing full season review happened for Thunderbolt Fantasy 3. And I have feeling that won't change for further seasons.

I will be honest I think much of that was driven by Zac's coverage of Mr. Urobuchi's. Alas it would seem as if he took that to the grave with him... And I will be blunt, I'm really not sure I wanted anyone else picking up that ball immediately after his passing.
I'm hoping that will change in the near future but I also am very aware of how much that would be a problem for this site, because much of it was Zac's passion and anything else that picks up from where he left off is ultimately going to be compared with his converge.

Still I was looking forward to it episode-by-episode review of the third season and with a little disappointed by it not happening.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
TF is a pretty cool series that has a small, but very loyal fanbase.

Our decisions about what to review are generally based off of three things. First, how much do our readers want to see the reviews. We run a survey about this every season, and we also look back at the statistics to see how many people read the past reviews (if there are any) and also other articles about the series.

Second, if we have any staff or reviewers that are passionate about a series and either want it to be reviewed, or want to review it themselves, we let them make a case for it.

Finally, how passionate are the fans of the series. Does the series generate a lot of good discussion on ANN, etc.

In TF's case, it never did well statistically. It always scored under the cutoff for the surveys. News articles about TF never performed that well, although they did generate a decent amount of conversation in relation to the low number of pageviews. Last season we did a This Week in Anime about TF and other "unique" anime, and it really didn't generate a lot of pageviews or conversation.

TF was covered by ANN's editorial because one of our staff (Zac) was passionate about the show. Unfortunately none of our current staff have ever stepped up and said "I know it's a money loser, but I really want to write about TF." Maybe in the future another staff member will step up and say, "I really want to cover TF," but keep in mind we can only support so many money losing passion projects; not all of them get the go-ahead.

I do want to make it clear that nothing related to this changed with Zac's unfortunate passing. We still have the same philosophy, but in this case Zac was the specific staff member that loved the show and wanted to cover it himself.

Bringing things to our attention like this is a good way to let the team know that there are still passionate fans of TF among our readers and that you would like to read more coverage of TF in the future. I'm certain the editorial team will notice.

-Christopher Macdonald
chex mix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it matters, I was disappointed by the lack of coverage as well.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:57 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Well, if it matters, I was disappointed by the lack of coverage as well.

To quote what Tempest just said....

Tempest wrote:
First, how much do our readers want to see the reviews. We run a survey about this every season, and we also look back at the statistics to see how many people read the past reviews (if there are any) and also other articles about the series............

In TF's case, it never did well statistically. It always scored under the cutoff for the surveys. News articles about TF never performed that well, although they did generate a decent amount of conversation in relation to the low number of pageviews. Last season we did a This Week in Anime about TF and other "unique" anime, and it really didn't generate a lot of pageviews or conversation.

If the fans/members here don't vote for it first and foremost, then there's not much that is going to be done. It is disappointing there was no coverage, but if nobody votes for it in the streaming survey what do you expect? Especially when there's not even enough discussion on the show when it is covered.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I imagine its chances of getting voted for weren’t really helped by the lack of coverage in the Spring preview guide, though...
I did enjoy its mention in the TWiA article, but it wasn’t more than a mention that the third season had begun. Didn’t seem to me like the thread to start gushing about the latest plot twists in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1