• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Releases Ronin Warriors, Girly Air Force, Anime, Cutie Honey The Live Series on BD on

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Excited for that definitive release of Yoroiden Samurai Troopers aka Ronin Warriors with the entire TV series and OVA series in one shiny Blu-Ray package. Very Happy
merr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, why do these releases get separate articles while others get lumped in the “what’s new this week” posts?
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:44 pm Reply with quote
You can't keep making me double-dip on Ronin Warriors! You can't!
adds pre-order to cart
LightningCount

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:49 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do these releases get separate articles while others get lumped in the “what’s new this week” posts?

My guess? Ronin Warriors/Samurai Troopers is one of the defining crossover anime of the 90s. It wasn't as big as Sailor Moon or Dragon Ball Z, but it had its following and is recognizable by longtime US anime fans and generates fond memories.

While there were various anime I dabbled in or enjoyed, Ronin Warriors' 1999 Toonami run was something that contributed to me realizing I was a fan of anime. And it was followed by Gundam Wing premiering on Toonami about six months later, which had the same director involved, Masashi Ikeda. (Ronin Warriors had some fans before that, though, as it ran in syndication starting in 1995 before Toonami brought it front and center.)
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this means the subtitles were fixed for "Yoroiden Samurai Troopers". There were consistent name misspellings and subtitles that were often late or didn't show up at all in the original release.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:59 am Reply with quote
i'm starting to get sick of Discotek re-releasing shows on Blu-Ray or 4K-HDR and acting like they are rescuing some new property. More then once i'd watched there presentations and said, "Wait, I thought they already released that" and only to have my suspicions confirmed by ANN.

I love Discotek and are happy with the quality of there work, its just some of the ways they've been handling releases and news lately erks me.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
i'm starting to get sick of Discotek re-releasing shows on Blu-Ray or 4K-HDR and acting like they are rescuing some new property. More then once i'd watched there presentations and said, "Wait, I thought they already released that" and only to have my suspicions confirmed by ANN.

I love Discotek and are happy with the quality of there work, its just some of the ways they've been handling releases and news lately erks me.
Some of their DVD's are out of print or have limited availability. Another advantage of Blu-Ray is it's increase of data storage over DVD. What would take 10's of discs for say Fist of the North Star will only take 3 discs and since the costs of Blu-Rays is in line with DVDs now it's cheaper to make. Also a higher bit rate does wonders for audio and video.

As for the 4K discs it's the HDR that really makes a difference (mostly because 4K Blu-Rays are 2K/1440p video up-rezed to 4K) with colors and depth of field lighting.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
i'm starting to get sick of Discotek re-releasing shows on Blu-Ray or 4K-HDR and acting like they are rescuing some new property.

I don't really care for 4K Robot Carnival but in Ronin Warriors' case, it is a big deal because they didn't have access to the TV show's English dub until 4 years after they put out the DVD set and had to go through crazy means to get it.

Jose Argumedo posted a full thread about it on Twitter and more at the Blu-ray forums.

https://twitter.com/ArguingMeadows/status/1424177328389754882
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=19208860#post19208860

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=19209804
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the Ronin Warriors DVDs not too long ago, so I'm gonna wait for a sale before double dipping on the Blu-Rays. Been hooked on tokusatsu recently, so I'm looking forward to Cutie Honey The Live. Here's hoping Discotek gets more tokusatsu!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1