• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Dress-Up Darling Anime Reveals Staff at CloverWorks

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Marin's reflection in the mirror looks a little off, but maybe it's just me. I'm really hoping they don't screw this adaptation up!
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, Cloverworks have their production issues but when they're on their game they are on their game, and I think they should be a good fit for this.

That Key Visual already looks great.
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'm going to try and be positive on this one. The shows thy make always look beautiful, and I'm sure they'll do the manga's art justice...but they've really screwed the pouch more than a couple of times...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I am rather looking forward to this. I've been enjoying the manga volumes thus far, having read through volume 4.

My biggest concern is they might amp up the T&A factor. Some of the T&A in the manga is already the weak point for me as is, without an anime series ramping it up potentially. This isn't a rant on T&A itself as I happen to enjoy my trashy T&A titles. The problem with the this title is most of it is so out of place. Sure, some of the body measurement bits were to be expected given the topic of cosplay and the mixed genders between the MC's. Typical trope material there. I'm not saying there aren't other ways to properly get the girl's measurements, but given the comedy aspects of the story those parts at least make sense.

The handful of cleavage and pantie shots, and other lingering angles, or physical comedy gags, outside of those moments do not make sense however. Not compared to the general tone of the series, which takes the topic of cosplay rather seriously. With titles like say Highschool DxD or Testament of Sister New Devil you know right away they're equal parts T&A and action. You expect it. My Dress Up Darling is trying to tackle it's core topic in a more serious manner though, with some humor thrown in to lighten the mood. The T&A parts are not constant, and obviously not a core aspect of the story. So they stand out more for me already. My fear is the anime will amp those up to get more cheap laughs or views. As opposed to focusing on the core plot and characters, who are actually really likeable for the most part.
borisdrakoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:01 am Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
As opposed to focusing on the core plot and characters, who are actually really likeable for the most part.

Funnily enough, I've always thought that the plot and characters were some of the weakest elements of this series. Gojou and Marin aside, most of the other characters don't feel like they have any real purpose in the story other than to provide necessary exposition for the cosplaying hobby or to fill in background slots to keep the conversation moving. More memorable characters haven't made a second appearance since the arc of their initial introduction, and even Marin's existing circle of friends haven't had any real sort of development to make them stand out that much from the general crowd.

In terms of plot, each arc is more of an episodic one off where the setting only exists to provide circumstances for Marin to cosplay a specific character. Beyond that there's little sense of anything resembling an overarching story beyond some vague hints of Gojou's past insecurities and the budding romance between the two leads. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy this series quite a bit, but it's mainly just for the process of creating each cosplay and the interactions between Marin and Gojou as opposed to the overall story or other characters.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:12 am Reply with quote
Posts removed. Please also note that I've also removed the responses which quote the offending posts even if those responses were OK.

I'll make a couple of points.

1. Don't create alternative user names when you're on moderation.

2. There's nothing wrong with debating the ideas people put in their posts. But... whether you're new on the site or you've been here for years, avoid making in insinuations about the posters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1