• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Teased With 'The Lost Session' Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:26 am Reply with quote
Finally, a solid preview! They seem to be having fun with their roles, and they seem to have good chemistry together. I'm starting to get a little excited!
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:37 am Reply with quote
Looks rad! Smile
me_barron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
Looks fun but it also looks like something that Channel Awesome, Mega64, or one of those mid-2000s youtube channels would make/swede.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
OK, now I am getting excited. This teaser shows promise for great fun, I was worried about how this adaption would come off.

I wonder if a second season and the return of Edward and Ein is in the cards.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
I got to say, I am actually interested now. Why didn't they show this first? A few thoughts

1. The actors seem to get the characters. Cho isn't smiling, but when he talks, I don't know how to explain, but I could imagine Steve Blum saying those lines. The "noodles first" is very much something Spike would do.

2. I like that the aesthetic is still "garbage sci fi". The setting reminds me of 1970s New York, films like Taxi Driver and the warriors with how messed up everything is. The opening made it looks way too clean.

3. It is clear that they realized they could not do Bebop exactly like the anime. Personally I would just not adapt it then, but what can you do. I like the tone and feel of this, as the feel is Bebop. It genuinely looks pretty fun.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
Whoever did the editing and transition for this trailer deserves a raise because that was awesome
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
me_barron wrote:
Looks fun but it also looks like something that Channel Awesome, Mega64, or one of those mid-2000s youtube channels would make/swede.

If they had 10,000 times the budget, sure.
TsukimoriKyouki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
either the acting is really bad or this is supposed to be really cheesy?
Kerx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
Spike looks way too old and the dialogue is no better than your average uninspired Marvel flick. I suppose the standards were quite low to begin with since it's a Netflix production, which usually caters to the lowest common denominator.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
Kerx wrote:
Spike looks way too old and the dialogue is no better than your average uninspired Marvel flick.

Given the unnecessary comic-panel transitions, I think that was the intent. Even though Cowboy Bebop was an original anime and not based on a manga.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
TsukimoriKyouki wrote:

Wasn't it always a little cheesy when the tone wasn't serious?
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
TsukimoriKyouki wrote:

Wasn't it always a little cheesy when the tone wasn't serious?

I had the same thought. I heard some of the dialog from Faye and thought it was unfitting...until I watched a few clips and realized she has always been that crude. Faye tries to be Fujiko Mine, always beyond spike and Jet, but she really is yelling at them all the time.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Kerx wrote:
Spike looks way too old and the dialogue is no better than your average uninspired Marvel flick. I suppose the standards were quite low to begin with since it's a Netflix production, which usually caters to the lowest common denominator.

I mean, it looks like it was made with actual effort, but so was The Umbrella Academy, and that show is still pretty inferior to the comics it's based from, even with a 2nd season that improved on a lot of the season 1's flaws.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Looks like fun. The voices for the characters sound like what I remember from the dub.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:34 pm Reply with quote
The editing for this teaser is fantastic. Whoever did it deserves all the accolades. They definitely sold the idea of this being a fun watch.

My only issue is this teaser has our trio trying to out-quip each other, and so for me there is no contrast in their personalities. John Cho comes off the best as Spike, but Jet & Faye feel off to me because they are trying to match his energy and delivery.

Maybe I'm too much of a purist, but it's not like I'm not gonna watch this which is all NetFlix cares about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2