• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Embracer Group Enters Agreement to Acquire Dark Horse

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevruth
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:28 am Reply with quote
Embraced is also buying Asmodee, the largest publisher of board and card games. They are going after everything “geek”.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Everything I've seen and read about this deal suggests that Embracer is just looking for IPs to farm out into multi-media franchises.

I can't say with certainty how this is going to change the company (if it does so at all), but my gut tells me that no good can come from this. At best, nothing changes (which isn't a great thing because Dark Horse is in desperate need of a change in its licensing, publishing, and marketing strategies). At worst, it gets stripped for parts, sold off to others, or shut down because it doesn't make enough money.

Only time will tell if that gut feeling is correct.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Urgh, don't know what this means for the manga Dark Horse has licensed, I'm still holding out hope that I will get my Kurosagi omnibuses. I'm sure they will at least continue selling the Berserk hardcovers.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't hold out any hope for more Kurosagi. It has been over six years since they issued anything new from that franchise. Currently they seem to be getting out of manga. They mostly are issuing new versions of existing licenses.

Dark Horse used to do good business with their Star Wars license. Then Marvel bought Lucas films and took the license. I don't think they have had any big sellers since then.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I wouldn't hold out any hope for more Kurosagi. It has been over six years since they issued anything new from that franchise. Currently they seem to be getting out of manga. They mostly are issuing new versions of existing licenses.

Dark Horse used to do good business with their Star Wars license. Then Marvel bought Lucas films and took the license. I don't think they have had any big sellers since then.

I still have the preorder for the next volume pending on Amazon which they said is coming out in 2022. I have no idea if it will actually ship but I'll keep that preorder alive.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if their catalog was a bit cheaper.
dragonquiz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

With Kurosagi, I was really hopeful since I saw it as a preorder way back in fall 2019 for a march 2020 release, then a june 2020, then w/e the max year limit is on amazon before finally a july 2022 release. Now I'm just hopeful that they do keep that release date intact and maybe do a reprint and continue with mpd psycho

If they are getting out of the manga medium, then why are they continuing to hold onto ip's that have been oop for so long instead of like releasing the license hold so that another publisher can buy it. And they decided to get the mob psycho 100 license, but did crap shoot on it for so long that they shouldn't have gotten it so in the first place.
See the pitiful schedule, its not like it was ongoing or anything or have a limited number of releases at the time of english release. Which could've justified the schedule a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1