• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Two Canadians Get Angry At A Hockey Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:10 am Reply with quote
Recently,I saw a couple of YouTube videos by two Canadians and they're really steamed at the anime,"Pride of Orange." One was called Jojo Talks Too Much and the other was Glass Reflection. And,he also invited another Canadian YouTuber,Mother's Basement,to bash this anime some more. Now,it's reasonable to ask why they'd be so upset with a show about hockey.
Well,the show begins with Japan going up against Canada. They defeat the Canadians five to four. That kinda made them salty. What upset them even more is what happened after that. The girls basically do this idol act to celebrate the Canadian's defeat. Personally,I don't see why this was necessary. Something like this would seem like bad sportsmanship. To basically rub their defeat in their face like that by doing a rock song just seems so unseemly.

It would be like there was a show in which a Japanese female baseball team defeats an American female baseball team,then that same team does an idol act to basically rub the American's defeat in their face. Most Americans,including me,probably wouldn't like that. For the most part,the focus doesn't really seem to be about hockey. From what I saw,it almost seemed secondary. The anime seem more interested about the main girl's lives and such and not a whole lot on hockey.
What infuriated them was that these girls were in the embroidery club at school. They were basically amateurs that somehow got to a point where they defeated a world class hockey team like Canada. I know there are a lot of Canadians who after reading this are probably going to be fuming,not just here in America but also in Canada proper. I also imagine that something like this would make the owner of this site pretty miffed in and of himself.

Even in places in America where hockey's popular like Minnesota,a show like "Pride of Orange" would probably anger them. From what I heard,they show very little of the girls playing hockey itself and mostly showing them as idols and going about their lives and things like that. I imagine that sooner or later,this show's going to get an English dub. To be honest,it looks like "Pride of Orange" isn't going to be the hockey anime fans of the sport have been waiting for. If what I heard about it is correct,hockey fans are going to have to wait a lot longer for a proper show on this sport.
I don't know how many Japanese saw the movie "Miracle,"a film about the unexpected victory of the American hockey team over the Russian team at the 1980 Winter Olympics. You probably get the idea that the sport isn't as popular there as baseball is. Be that as it may. A hockey anime might be interesting. Unfortunately,"Pride of Orange" might not be that show.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
the idol performance was strange, but it hasn't really show up again. The show is about hockey. the girls are steadily learning how to play it and while coach has some wild fantasy about incorporating idols into the sport to make female hockey more popular, it hasn't gone anywhere beyond that. that could change later, but for now, its sports show, not an idol show.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

What infuriated them was that these girls were in the embroidery club at school. They were basically amateurs that somehow got to a point where they defeated a world class hockey team like Canada.

Then they are getting infuriated over something not in the show. The Japanese national team defeating the Canadian national team was a flashback. One of the players on that Japanese team was Yōko Matsunaga who is now coach of the Nikko Dream Monkeys and recruiting potential junior squad members (including the embroidery club girls). Really sloppy on the part of the YouTube reviewers to not get this right.

Snomaster1 wrote:
Even in places in America where hockey's popular like Minnesota,a show like "Pride of Orange" would probably anger them. From what I heard,they show very little of the girls playing hockey itself and mostly showing them as idols and going about their lives and things like that.

What you heard does not match what is in the first 5 episodes of the show. Sad that people do "reviews" without actually watching the show closely.

Snomaster1 wrote:

I imagine that sooner or later,this show's going to get an English dub. To be honest,it looks like "Pride of Orange" isn't going to be the hockey anime fans of the sport have been waiting for. If what I heard about it is correct,hockey fans are going to have to wait a lot longer for a proper show on this sport.

To repeat, what you have heard is not correct. So far Puraore! Pride of Orange is a better hockey show than Bakuon!! was a motorcycling show.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Well,getchman,Piglet the Grate,I think you guys make some very good points. The guys who did those videos probably got some things wrong. I think the anger over this show most likely clouded their minds and quite possibly made them sloppy. My guess is they got so mad that they didn't get their facts straight. I think what those like Jojo Talks Too Much,Glass Reflection,and to a lesser extent,Mother's Basement probably saw the first five minutes of the show,got mad and that anger got in the way of what they were supposed to be doing.
If you both are right,then you guys feel that these two reviewers are way off base and didn't really do their due diligence when it comes to this anime. I did do a little bit of research on this show and while they complained it doesn't have a Canadian character in it,on one of the teams the Dream Monkeys faces off against,does have a Canadian there,so yeah. You both have a pretty good case that they may have gotten this wrong. But,I hope other Canadians on this site,including the esteemed CEO of ANN,will give us their takes on this show. That'll be interesting to read.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:59 am Reply with quote
Huh, I did not realize that Pride of Orange was about hockey! I thought it was an idol show. As a proud Canadian, I HAVE to watch a show about hockey. And Canadian YTers getting upset about Canada losing a game is silly.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Huh, I did not realize that Pride of Orange was about hockey! I thought it was an idol show. As a proud Canadian, I HAVE to watch a show about hockey. And Canadian YTers getting upset about Canada losing a game is silly.

The opening 3:15 or so that everyone is getting upset about is a combination dream/flashback sequence. It may be that the "victory over Canada" is just Coach Yōko Matsunaga's imagination. After that opening sequence, there is one warm-up drill that looks like a dance line and a couple of comments from Yōko to her assistant about how the idol aspect could help marketing, but then nothing idol related appears after that.
Lupica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Imagine how weird it would be if the US made shows about the US triumphing in unexpected fields, including scenes with them beating other nations with more of an emotional stake invested or taking credit for things that other countries might believe they actually worked harder on. I'm sure that would never happen in the entertainment industry.

It's an obvious angle that writers will use to demonstrate a great victory. Beating the national team of a country that doesn't care about hockey at all doesn't mean anything. Most Canadians would probably be happy to be remembered as an actual country and mentioned instead of being absorbed into the USA every time somebody mentions America. (Personally, I find it hilarious whenever my country is mocked in anime because it's punching up and my country can take it.)

I didn't really like the show because it wasn't to my taste but aside from it being goofy I don't think it was the offensive disaster that this thread implies. YouTubers benefit enormously from overreacting to stupid stuff because it increases engagement in their channel. It's best not to take a couple of YouTubers too seriously. Better to watch the show itself and form opinions of your own instead of assuming what hockey fans/Canadian viewers/Minnesotans/ANN staff are going to think to stir up controversy, eh?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:38 am Reply with quote
Well,Blood-. It's great to hear from you and I hope you see this series and tell us what you think of it. We'd love to know and I hope you tell us. Also,thanks again for telling us about what was going on,Piglet the Grate. I think that the two Canadian YouTubers might have gotten this wrong. Their anger might have clouded their judgement and they made these videos that might end up making them look foolish.
Thirdly,Lupica. You don't have to worry about that. A large swath of the media in this country,including Hollywood,seem to love to belittle this country a great deal these days. You're not going to see a lot of patriotic stuff in current year,so something like that's clearly not going to happen any time soon. But,Glass Reflection made a good point in his video of this show,he asked that what if,suddenly Canada started making shows about Canadians doing well in traditionally Japanese things.

I think he kinda echoed your point but in a different way. Right now,I think we have to wait to see how this show develops and eventually wait for Funimation to have this show dubbed into English. Who knows,we might get a second season of this show and they may end up going international. I'd be interested to see what the American team looks like. Hopefully,it'll be a mix of native-born Americans alongside Canadian expats and Russian immigrants. I'd like to see that,wouldn't you?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Lupica wrote:
Better to watch the show itself and form opinions of your own instead of assuming what hockey fans/Canadian viewers/Minnesotans/ANN staff are going to think to stir up controversy, eh?

Just had to laugh a bit at this remembering that ANN is actually a Canadian based company, not US. The CEO is Canadian himself. Though I am not sure if Tempest enjoys hockey or not. Rally cars I do believe, but not sure on hockey.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,Blood-. It's great to hear from you and I hope you see this series and tell us what you think of it. We'd love to know and I hope you tell us. Also,thanks again for telling us about what was going on,Piglet the Grate. I think that the two Canadian YouTubers might have gotten this wrong. Their anger might have clouded their judgement and they made these videos that might end up making them look foolish.

To be fair:
- The beginning of Episode 1 is very confusing as to what is flashback, current, future, or merely imagined future;
- The show pre-publicity emphasized the idol aspect, while the actual show (five episodes in) has the idol aspect being tertiary to the girls bonding with each other and learning to play hockey (actually those two cannot be separated).

Redbeard 101 wrote:
Just had to laugh a bit at this remembering that ANN is actually a Canadian based company, not US. The CEO is Canadian himself. Though I am not sure if Tempest enjoys hockey or not. Rally cars I do believe, but not sure on hockey.

To loosely quote the late Jack Kent Cooke at the time he was owner of the LA Kings NHL franchise, "There are 600,000 Canadians in southern California, and they are all here because they hate hockey".

I will not claim to be Canadian beyond having a birth certificate from the "Prime Minister Wacky Bennett" regime having come to the USA while Tricky Dick was President, only attend an IHL game every few years, etc., but I know enough of the game to say that so far Puraore! Pride of Orange is showing respect for hockey as a sport.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:44 am Reply with quote
Hey! Thanks for the comment,Redbeard 101! It's well appreciated. Well,since ANN in based in Canada,I thought it might attract some interest from Canadian readers. Since I know hockey's popular up there,it might something that they might like. I don't know how Tempest would feel about this anime or about hockey in general. All I know is the guy's Canadian and they've long enjoyed hockey since it was invented there.
As for you,Piglet the Grate,I didn't know you were originally from Canada. That's good to hear. I want to say thank you for your insightful comments on this show. They're appreciated and I'm grateful for them. I also hope there are more comments here soon. I'd like to hear more about how others feel about this. Again,you've done well with your comments,Piglet the Grate,and we hope to hear more from you,especially here.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:50 am Reply with quote
Recently,I saw another video from Jojo Talks Too Much and it's back on "Pride of Orange." He said he wishes that he could get into seeing this anime,but he couldn't. He said he watched three episodes of the show and he was unable to get into it. He said that there were still some idol aspects of the show,but again,he didn't see a whole lot of it. But,he did see an episode which I assume is the third one in which the girls get defeated nine to one. And,they didn't just get defeated. They got blown out of the water.
Now,according to Jojo,there have been instances where hockey players may go easy on certain teams for reasons like when a teammate's about to leave the sport or something like that. Now,I've never been into sports like hockey and stuff like that,so I don't know. I'm going by what he said. Like he said,after three episodes,he wasn't able to get into the anime. There are others who might,but not this guy.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
...But,he did see an episode which I assume is the third one in which the girls get defeated nine to one. And,they didn't just get defeated. They got blown out of the water.

It was the junior members only of the Dream Monkeys in their very first game ever, against an experienced team. Nothing unrealistic here.

Through the most recent episode, minimal to no idol content. One thing that has changed is that all the hockey playing girls have for the most part dropped doing embroidery to concentrate on hockey.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:47 am Reply with quote
Well,thanks for telling us this,Piglet the Grate. I don't know about the rest of the series,but thank you for updating us on this. I appreciate it a lot.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to give everyone an update. And,yes. This show got an English dub recently. While for a lot of people this would be exciting news,I've got a feeling that there are three people who might not share that opinion. Those three people would be Jojo Talks Too Much,Glass Reflection,and Mother's Basement. They watched the show in Japanese and didn't like it. I doubt seeing it in English would change their opinion of it very much.
If you want to,go see "Pride of Orange." I doubt these three will,but you might like it if you give it a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2