• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: MaiOtaku Dating Site Allegedly Imports AniMinneapolis, Meta Con Attendee Profile Informati

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and claimed that users were actually creating the profiles in their attempts to search for them on the system

I don't believe this for a second but let's say I did; what sort of shitty system do you have where it creates accounts just from someone searching for them? Accounts complete with email addresses and credit card info? That's dodgy enough in itself.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Ohh look, more sketchy shit from Kopf. Color me surprised.

harminia wrote:
Quote:
and claimed that users were actually creating the profiles in their attempts to search for them on the system

I don't believe this for a second but let's say I did; what sort of shitty system do you have where it creates accounts just from someone searching for them? Accounts complete with email addresses and credit card info? That's dodgy enough in itself.

I agree entirely. I doubt most people signing up had even heard of or knew about MaiOtaku. Even if they did, and even if they actually WERE creating a profile on it, having it create an account complete with financial information in this manner is beyond dodgy by itself.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Ryan Kopf being a creep. Color me shocked.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:03 am Reply with quote
To quote the reviews from Ryan kopfs Nerd bar which is in no way shady

Starts the Grinch song
You're a SUS one, Mister Kopf . You really are a Heel. You're as shady as a Kyubey. you're as predatory as a zerg. You're a James Charles with a geek clientele.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:29 am Reply with quote
I Find it Disturbing and not all that suprising at the same time. I have heard of MaiOtaku because they were advertising at some convention i went to, but that was many years ago.

It's well known that many dating site providers will combine the users from other sites to increase the pool of available candidates. Users of a specialty dating website like a JDate may show up in a match.com website if they indicate they are Jewish, Same if a person on Grindr may find a user on Plenty of Fish if they indicate they are a man looking for another man. These are just random websites i picked to illustrate but a lot of sites are owned by conglomerates or corporations.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
I Find it Disturbing and not all that suprising at the same time. I have heard of MaiOtaku because they were advertising at some convention i went to, but that was many years ago.

It's well known that many dating site providers will combine the users from other sites to increase the pool of available candidates. Users of a specialty dating website like a JDate may show up in a match.com website if they indicate they are Jewish, Same if a person on Grindr may find a user on Plenty of Fish if they indicate they are a man looking for another man. These are just random websites i picked to illustrate but a lot of sites are owned by conglomerates or corporations.

So the whole industry is rotten in a way. That's disturbing to see people's personal information spread so freely without any input from them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1