• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akebi's Sailor Uniform (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote

Akebi's Sailor Uniform (TV)

Genre: slice of life
Theme: school

Plot Summary: Komichi Akebi is starting junior high at the prestigious Rōbai Academy in the countryside. It's been her dream to wear a sailor-style school uniform and tomorrow her dream will come true.

Jan. 8, 2022 (Saturdays; Crunchyroll, FUNimation)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I wasn't really sure how to react from the first episode, with the second episode I think giving me a bit more to work with. It does have its moments of very pretty animation, and generally pretty breezy watch.

I don't think that it is just my yuri goggles, but there is at least some pretty strong yuri bait parts. First just Akebi's being enamoured by the girl that apparently led to her wanting to wear the sailor suit. But the girl who sat next her during lunch especially, who I think even went so far as to say that Akebi was her type, and was pretty much flirting with the uniform thing, the lip balm and getting her to act out the scene.

I think that there is some part of intimacy that is done with a lot of the scenes, which with a female only cast gives off some queer vibes. Kind of like from Hibeki Euphonium.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this show is made for perverts, but it's definitely made by perverts.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 1: Self contained short film. Nice but unremarkable.
Episode 2: Let's get ready to YURI!!... but tastefully done; This is no Strawberry Panic. I love the scene where the twin pigtails are used to frame a conversation. Hint: Jealous much?

And then there's "Wait, I'm not done embarrassing myself yet." Akebi flashes the class. "There. Even though I thought to myself I should have stopped awhile ago, that was the perfect first impression."

And then there was the girl who tried to get Akebi to take off her blouse during lunch. "It was a joke." I thought it was a genuine proposition, the girl already had her blazer off so...

So? A show made for perverts by perverts about perverts? And why was I already expecting a love letter in Akebi's shoe locker? Pavlov, stop ringing that bell, I'm already salivating.

Speaking of Strawberry Panic, that one had a woman send her niece off to a private all girl school Tri academy, one where the aunt went to herself and so she knew "all about it". In this one, it's the mother who went to that school and wore the outfit her daughter did and had... the experience she will have.

Raising all sorts of "questions" it does...

So DP, yes, the Yuri is baked right in from the top down. Whether if it's just Yuri baiting or the genuine thing is still up in the air... that idol is already there.

Ah. Ah. OH. And yes, that is how my mind works, it rhymed so it just popped in my head. Because that blank spot is "the idol is going to show up in person" and my mind skipped a step and my typing followed that path.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:08 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I don't think that it is just my yuri goggles, but there is at least some pretty strong yuri bait parts.

I was not really seeing yuri that much until Episode 3. Akebi asking to look up Class President Tanigawa's skirt and later telling her that she has pretty legs and wanting photos is quite blatant. But instead of a couple's yuri, it may yet turn into a harem centered on Akebi if the accidental wet clothing incident with Tatsumori (at least I think it is Tatsumori - the Wiki is incomplete) is something to go by.

Have to disagree with the people calling the show perverted - more like innocent exploration by school girls who are still unsure of themselves.

DuskyPredator wrote:

I think that there is some part of intimacy that is done with a lot of the scenes, which with a female only cast gives off some queer vibes. Kind of like from Hibeki Euphonium.

To me it seems similar to Aoi Hana - both being all-girl schools adds to this.

Since we are at the traditional 3 episode go/no go point, I will be sticking with the show at least to the end of the cour (I have no idea if there will be more than one cour or not).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

At this point, I think that it hard not to see this show as super gay. The show continues to do its little fetish things; so much legs and feet, wet clothes and a tad of glasses. Not that it reaches levels of explicit or something. But it really uses these focuses of small animation details to give across this feeling of two girls being close to each other that they notice awkward little details, and as said girl becomes hyper aware, and well it comes across as romantic.

Is Akebi going to make her entire class and or school crush on her?
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I would like this show a bit more if I wasn't constantly so distracted by the faces...the big droopy eyes and occasional ugly profile. Honestly it's super distracting for me to the point I am not sure if I should just give up on this show since it's not super my thing anyway or just keep trying. Is it just me?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 3
So I'm the only one who noticed Akebi did a rather explicit gesture at the end of episode 3 then?
"Here's what I'm going to do." Does the gesture for female oral sex. "The drama club." No, I think she was right the first time. Different culture, different meaning... where did the drama club from again? Regardless... it all seems about right. Some things remain constant despite cultural barriers.

Seeing how this series has already equated taking a lewd selfie as an interest in general photography, I don't think it's possible for viewers to claim that it's all rather innocent. I just saw a girl turn her sleeping face into the crotch of another who happens to be wearing the other's girl's blazer and glasses... then the girl looked up and sleepily said "Mom?"

What is it with daughters and mothers in this series? So far my reactions to moms here have been "Huh?", "What?" and "How?" "Huh" to Akebi's mom helping the girl with her sailor outfit... even though people just buy school uniforms. "What?" to Selfie girl's mom busting on her daughter in.... right, it wasn't but it also was, if you know what I mean... and "How?" to the third girl resting her head in her mother's lap a lot later than would seem... usual to me...

It's all rather innocent. Huh? What? How?

And, yes, it's going to be an Everyone Falls for Akebi Harem show, it's already in the end credits. But don't worry, Akebi was already told it's ok to have multiple... clubs... at their school.

And I still haven't talked about the scene where "absolutely not Akebi's favorite Idol" girl is sniffing her nail clipper. I think I'm skipping names entirely. I'll just group girls by their fetish.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm not sure if this show is made for perverts, but it's definitely made by perverts.

Laughing Line of the day.

And once again DP has strapped on the yuri goggles! Not that you're wrong, of course.

I love the characters expressive faces. Also, I totally love Akebi's family home! ADORABLE! I wanna live in one like that.
justadood

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:30 am Reply with quote
I was trying to recall the mangaka from whom I saw similar art style (since the manga's art was markedly different).... Bai Asuka, the H-mangaka's art style (the way the faces are drawn, with the over-large droopy eyes) is a lot like the Akebi anime...

Blood- wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

Laughing Line of the day.

And once again DP has strapped on the yuri goggles! Not that you're wrong, of course.

I love the characters expressive faces. Also, I totally love Akebi's family home! ADORABLE! I wanna live in one like that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I was a little confused that were starting at the afterparty of the sports festival, but then it started to sprinkle out the events of the festival during it. I would guess tying particular feelings that Akebi during the performance to what was experienced to the events she had just been through.

I liked the series, it was a cute and interesting watch. Something towards the end of the season I really liked was when they went to her old school, which had long past really having much of a student body, and the sight of all the girls sparked emotion in the teacher. Such a nice show that I don't really want to think about a lack of realism that Akebi being so well approved despite her lack of conformity, from what I understand of Japanese culture. But the idea of these I would say intimate shots of these different characters with their individual quirks, was a good shot.

Will still say whether intentional or not, that it comes across as very yuri.

Rating the show, I give it a Good (7/10), where I might have in initially wanted to give it a slightly higher score, I think that it kind of just rested at worth watching but not a don't miss it sort of thing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:25 am Reply with quote
Ah, my feel good Sunday morning show is over (not that it was streamed then, but I got in the habit of "saving" it for that timeslot). I really enjoyed the look and feel of the show despite some moments when being a viewer made me feel like kind of a perv. Akebi was adorable, her little sister was adorable and her house was adorable. A lot of adorableness. Like My Dress-Up Darling, I feel this show doesn't "need" another season from a story standpoint but I definitely want to spend more time in this fun, comfortable, somewhat pervy world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1