• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AMC Networks Acquires Sentai Holdings, Sentai Filmworks, HIDIVE

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Will this change anything,what it just being a holdings company.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:15 pm Reply with quote
AMC exec 1 "Quick we need a way to make ourselves more attractive to potential acquirers!"

AMC exec 2 "Sony seems interested in boosting it's anime business right now"

AMC exec 1 "What US anime company is cheap right now? and can it get Netflix interested as well?"

AMC has been looking for a buyer since late 2018 but with The Walking Dead ratings collapse on top of the cable cutting acceleration no one has been interested. Can this acquisition sweeten the pot enough to get interest? find out over the next 12 months.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well this came out of nowhere and is a likely sign that Sentai is continuing to struggle competing against FUNimation and Crunchyroll for newer titles, both of whom are now owned by Sony Pictures.

I'm hoping this doesn't cause problems similar to what happened when Sojtiz bought 20% of A.D. Vision. After that deal fell apart, ADV was crippled (seriously, what a mess-many of these were incomplete, and most weren't out long enough to get box sets, also I recommend the following Crunchyroll article), they had nothing but re-releases over the next year save for Kiba, and Sentai was created as an escape route. I'm glad nothing similar happened under the Cool Japan partial ownership, but I continue to worry about Sentai's future. BTW, Sentai's release slate over the past year or so has been a bit similar to post-Sojitz ADV's, plenty of re-releases due to a lack of newer titles.

Last edited by BigOnAnime on Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:21 pm Reply with quote
This morning, I noticed too that the Crunchyroll section on HBO Max was gone. Yet isn't Sentai the company that's known to blow up the prices of their releases?
Newshawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:36 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
...isn't Sentai the company that's known to blow up the prices of their releases?

What do you mean by that?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:42 pm Reply with quote
So when's Discotek next?
iluvrice2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:43 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
This morning, I noticed too that the Crunchyroll section on HBO Max was gone. Yet isn't Sentai the company that's known to blow up the prices of their releases?

If by "blow up" you mean selling releases for exorbitantly high prices, that is Aniplex. If you mean that they drastically reduce their prices over time (barring limited sets that sell out) then yes, that's Sentai.
Prede

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:03 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Well this came out of nowhere and is a likely sign that Sentai is continuing to struggle competing against FUNimation and Crunchyroll for newer titles, both of whom are now owned by Sony Pictures.

I'm hoping this doesn't cause problems similar to what happened when Sojtiz bought 20% of A.D. Vision.

I don’t think they’d make the same mistake again. I’m sure if Ledford has any business sense at all he’d make sure that could not happen again with this sale here. I am not as doom and gloom about the anime industry as everyone else. I don’t like how sony-mation-roll has a monopoly right now and I want sentai and discotek to get access to more titles. And I hope that will happen. I’m not sure if AMC will be able to do that for sentai but Ledford and co. Certainly think so. I love this company, they’re the best out there. They make the best dubs. I hope this goes smoothly and helps them out. AMC has some big money so they can throw their weight around, get some stuff.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:05 pm Reply with quote
iluvrice2 wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

If by "blow up" you mean selling releases for exorbitantly high prices, that is Aniplex. If you mean that they drastically reduce their prices over time (barring limited sets that sell out) then yes, that's Sentai.

Yeah, I got them mixed up. Sorry about that.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:11 pm Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time before Sentai got bought out. I was a little surprised to see that it was AMC, but considering that Shudder sent out emails with a discount for HiDive, it’s not all that surprising. AMC is one of the few mid level content providers left, so it will only be a matter of time before they merge with someone like Viacom or Lion’s Gate or are bought out. This should give Sentai more backing and capital to work with, which is a good thing for competition outside Japan.
torchic91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Instead of competing on scale (like Netflix or Prime Vide), AMC Networks' strategy is catering to targeted niche media. Buying an anime company (still seen as "niche" media) is one more addition to their portfolio of smaller, but focused and successful streamers.
KitKat1721

Worth noting AMC network does have a ton of niche services under their name (like I would have never heard of Acorn TV if not for searching to find a specific British film they happened to have, but the company has been around since the 90s). So this actually isn’t too much of a surprise in hindsight, although I never would have guessed they’d be a potential buyer if asked.
Ryuji-Dono

Well I'll be damned, looks like the anime competition for overseas licensing will be between Sony, Netflix, Disney and AMC.

And now I wonder if Warner, Universal, Viacom and Apple will be next...
Newshawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:13 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Yeah, I got them mixed up. Sorry about that.

No problem.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
I'm hoping this doesn't cause problems similar to what happened when Sojtiz bought 20% of A.D. Vision.

I still am baffled as to why they thought the Sojitz deal was a great idea. They must have been in an incredibly deep in a hole to sign up to that. And Funimation essentially bought up their debt when they bought ADV's licenses off Sojitz. Just incredible really. Some really, really poor decisions were made in the in mid 2000's bubble and in the immediate aftermath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5