• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spy×Family Anime Premieres With 3.1% Rating

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James02

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:37 am Reply with quote
Is that good?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:46 am Reply with quote
James02 wrote:
Is that good?

Considering One Piece episodes average 3.0 on a weekly basis in the Japanese anime episode rankings, then a 3.1% rating isn't bad at all. Most franchises don't even see 2.0% ratings, let alone over 3.0%.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:06 am Reply with quote
If this is all just from ep 1 alone and it already has a huge established fanbase from the original source, than you can tell this is the beginning of a new franchise that will dominate the jp market
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:13 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
James02 wrote:
Is that good?

Considering One Piece episodes average 3.0 on a weekly basis in the Japanese anime episode rankings, then a 3.1% rating isn't bad at all. Most franchises don't even see 2.0% ratings, let alone over 3.0%.
Plus there is the fact that OP is a prime time evening show - but SpyXFamily is running on the nighttime slot, where viewership auditory is way lower. Usually same goes for nearly all top-rated animated shows - they are running in the morning or evening.

It's not Demon Slayer crazy, but it's still really excellent.

Last edited by WANNFH on Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
costmuffled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:14 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, but the anime's first episode floored me. From the very beginning, I can tell this is going to be a splendid anime, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of what it has to offer. I'll probably pick up the manga as well, but not until after the 2nd cour to avoid spoiling the fun.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:24 am Reply with quote
As they say, 3% rating is not bad for morning/afternoon show. But SpyXFamily is a late evening show (23:00/11 PM) in Japan, so it's massive.

If you haven't red SpyxFamily, start now.
Do not, repeat, do not start at the lastest episodes at Viz's Shonen Jump or Manga Plus.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:35 am Reply with quote
Lucky me started reading this at my local library and enjoyed it! The first episode was right out of the manga. Looking forward to watching this!
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:39 am Reply with quote
costmuffled wrote:
I haven't read the manga, but the anime's first episode floored me. From the very beginning, I can tell this is going to be a splendid anime, and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of what it has to offer. I'll probably pick up the manga as well, but not until after the 2nd cour to avoid spoiling the fun.

The anime adaptation was really good judging from the first episode, but the pacing in the manga was better and some scenes had consequently more impact. I recommend checking it too! ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
#sukkar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:59 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
James02 wrote:
Is that good?

Plus there is the fact that OP is a prime time evening show - but SpyXFamily is running on the nighttime slot, where viewership auditory is way lower. Usually same goes for nearly all top-rated animated shows - they are running in the morning or evening.

It's not Demon Slayer crazy, but it's still really excellent.

Slight correction, One Piece airs Sunday mornings.

But yeah, these numbers are absolutely huge for this time slot. Last time I remember reading about a late night show getting such good numbers when Library Wars was pulling in like 4.0s
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:52 am Reply with quote
I hope series will adapt all the published chapters in the second season! And waiting for 3rd season already!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:50 am Reply with quote
#sukkar wrote:
Slight correction, One Piece airs Sunday mornings.

But yeah, these numbers are absolutely huge for this time slot. Last time I remember reading about a late night show getting such good numbers when Library Wars was pulling in like 4.0s

And while it predates ANN's weekly ratings reports, Akagi's first episode also got itself a 4.0 back in 2005. It's rare, but every once in a while a late-night anime manages to achieve surprisingly strong ratings, despite that not really being the intention of those time slots (they're essentially just treated at as infomercials for the later home video release).
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:43 pm Reply with quote
So glad Spy x Family is blowing up. The manga is excellent and glad that it's getting a well done adaptation.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling it would do well, but it's great to see!
Blazaking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Can someone explain how this percentage rating works? 3.1% out of what?
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
James02 wrote:
Is that good?
wouldn't be newsworthy if it wasn't
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2