• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan OADs' English Dubs Premiere on May 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:11 pm Reply with quote
That's strange, i sure i saw these listed as dubbed before on Funimatio, or does it just mean the dubs coming to CR.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:16 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
That's strange, i sure i saw these listed as dubbed before on Funimatio, or does it just mean the dubs coming to CR.

When they started streaming the subbed version in December, they announced the OADs would be dubbed with a 2022 release. That's probably what you're remembering.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:27 pm Reply with quote
That means more Mcfarland ADR directing which is always welcomed.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Mon May 02, 2022 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:38 pm Reply with quote
That's cool to hear! Now we'll pretty much have the entire anime dubbed, I believe.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Definitely going to check out a few of these for a re-watch considering its been years haha
LucyFan998

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It's a miracle that the Attack on Titans OADs are finally getting an English dub, but if there is one other anime from Kodansha that I would love for the OADs to get licensed and an English dub soon, it would have to be the Fairy Tail OADs. The Fairy Tail OAD episodes were released in a bundle with a special edition volume of the manga. What made the OAD episodes so special was the mature content that carries the same level of faithfulness as the manga. Yes, the two films have done it as well; but the OADs have the same animation style as the anime series (for the first 6 episodes of the 2009 series and the last 3 episodes of the 2014 series). I enjoyed the comedy and the fanservice moments with all the 9 OAD episodes and I've been thinking about how the English dub would handle these moments. It would be hilarious and outstanding. For over a decade, Funimation/Crunchyroll still hasn't gained the rights to the Fairy Tail OADs. Not to mention, they did license the movie prologue short known as The First Morning and it was included on the DVD/Blu-ray release of Fairy Tail the Movie: Phoenix Priestess, but it never had an English dub, due to a certain licensing issue. When originally, the short was bundled with a special edition release of Volume 36 of the manga. I know that acquiring the license for the OADs can be complicated, but Funimation/Crunchyroll has been licensing and dubbing other OADs from many different anime franchises for a long time and I am still waiting to see when that day will come.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 2:40 pm Reply with quote
^

there are rumors the Fairy Tail OADs may have been licensed in Latin America,but considering nobody knows when and where the main series may finally debut there to this day(the main series has been licensed and is being dubbed in Spanish and Portuguese for a couple of years now.Rumors say it may go to HBO Max this year),it's probably just rumors.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:39 pm Reply with quote
sadly it will mean that the dubs wont be coming on toonami considering they do not show ovas or oads!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

sadly it will mean that the dubs wont be coming on toonami considering they do not show ovas or oads!

Tenchi Muyo OVAs aired on Toonami once upon a time
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1