• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Lays Off 300 More Employees

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Los Nido

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:22 am Reply with quote
The Netflix bubble has officially burst.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:27 am Reply with quote
Press F to pay respects.

F
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:14 am Reply with quote
I feel for the employees.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:41 am Reply with quote
The “Netflix you’re greenlit!” era is officially over.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm still fuming at them for shutting down the animation department and RUINING Don Bluth's new movie....I don't think they can sink any lower.... Twisted Evil
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
adding that the company is focusing on "creative development, personalization, and language presentation/localization."
In English?
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It's already evident at this point that Netflix is only gonna change their bussiness models to make the platform and programming worse,so I'm personally expecting and hoping they lose much more subscribers.

I mean, keep paying millions of dollars to transphobic, "comedic" has-beens, make up shitty tiers without lowering the prices of others, and make other stupid changes without the high-quality programming to back it up if you want, just don't bitch about your losses when the roosters come home to roost.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:18 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
It's already evident at this point that Netflix is only gonna change their bussiness models to make the platform and programming worse,so I'm personally expecting and hoping they lose much more subscribers.

I mean, keep paying millions of dollars to transphobic, "comedic" has-beens, make up shitty tiers without lowering the prices of others, and make other stupid changes without the high-quality programming to back it up if you want, just don't bitch about your losses when the roosters come home to roost.

If you're referring to Dave Chappelle then Netflix has said multiple times that Chappelle's specials are the most watched comedy specials on the platform. People's personal feelings aside, that's not an actual financial problem for Netflix but is in fact good business decisions on their part to keep financing those comedians to make content.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
If you're referring to Dave Chappelle then Netflix has said multiple times that Chappelle's specials are the most watched comedy specials on the platform. People's personal feelings aside, that's not an actual financial problem for Netflix but is in fact good business decisions on their part to keep financing those comedians to make content.

So???

They're still losing subscribers, firing employees and still screwing over their users with dumb practices, so paying hacks like him is not a wise bussiness move at this time. You can't expect to cater to one type of audience in a way that will then alienate the other into unsubscription, and then bitch and moan about money problems and having to fire employees because in layman's terms wErE nOt mAkInG eNouGh mOnEy.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Not good for the employees for sure.

In terms of Netflix in general...I am very glad they invested in Spriggan. It has needed a fuller anime adaptation for decades, and this adaptation was about as good as one could expect for a 30-year-old franchise with a niche following in this day and age. I hope it gets a Season 2.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Yikes . That can·t be a good sign for the Investors of either the Magic: the Gathering CGI series or the Cyberpunk: Edgerunners anime .
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

If you're referring to Dave Chappelle then Netflix has said multiple times that Chappelle's specials are the most watched comedy specials on the platform.

Netflix can say whatever it wants, but their leaked internal numbers show that Chapelle's most recent special never turned a profit because they paid him too much.

The advantage of standup specials isn't viewership, it's that they usually cost almost nothing to make: it's just a person standing in front of a brick wall talking for an hour. Netflix somehow managed to screw that up by paying this washed-up hack about 50 times what he's worth. And that's before you get into how much it cost them in terms of PR. Netflix had managed to cultivate a pretty good LGBT following thanks to shows like Orange is the New Black and Sense8, then they threw all of them under the bus for the sake of one rich comedian's ego. Companies that rely on subscriber loyalty can't afford to insult their subscribers like that, especially not when they have more competitors than ever.

Guile wrote:
People's personal feelings aside, that's not an actual financial problem for Netflix but is in fact good business decisions on their part

In April, Netflix lost $54 billion in a single day. That's one of the biggest drops any company has ever suffered, ever. I would not accuse the people responsible for that of "good business decisions."

Especially not when their master plan to win back subscribers is "let's add commercials."
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Whoever said that streaming services are the futture of entertainment and that movie theaters and regular TV channels are relics of the past must be feeling very embarrassed right now.

That said, I feel bad for the former employees. An executive probably fucked something up and now employees will face the consequences.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Vladimir Morales wrote:
Whoever said that streaming services are the futture of entertainment and that movie theaters and regular TV channels are relics of the past must be feeling very embarrassed right now.

I mean, TV channels are still pretty much becoming a relic of the past. On-demand streaming of TV channels' content in my country eclipses live viewing figures. There are just simply too many streaming choices now for one to be able to hold the top spot anymore.

That aside, only thing that kinda bums me out is that Netflix is the only streaming service that seems to care to translate obscure overseas TV shows, and I really don't see any other service bothering to pick that up if Netflix goes bust or whatever, they're probably not wildly profitable.
Vladimir Morales

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
Vladimir Morales wrote:

I mean, TV channels are still pretty much becoming a relic of the past. On-demand streaming of TV channels' content in my country eclipses live viewing figures. There are just simply too many streaming choices now for one to be able to hold the top spot anymore.

That aside, only thing that kinda bums me out is that Netflix is the only streaming service that seems to care to translate obscure overseas TV shows, and I really don't see any other service bothering to pick that up if Netflix goes bust or whatever, they're probably not wildly profitable.

Now that people have practically unlimited forms of entertainment at their disposal, it's next-to-impossible for the average person to keep up with all that entertainment, forcing people to be selective and content creators to make some... controversial decisions to hold their audiences' attentions for more than just a few microseconds.

The biggest victim of this change in the landscape of TV might as well be The CW, which has never been profittable to Warner Bros. Discovery.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3