• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Film Reportedly Crosses ₹4.50 Crore in 1st Week in India

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perroloco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:36 am Reply with quote
So it seems a bit low, doesn't it? (Comparing it to other countries like the US)
Is India not too into anime? Also, was Mugen train not shown there?
Kaoru G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:41 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
So it seems a bit low, doesn't it? (Comparing it to other countries like the US)

Good questions dear friend. It's still quite rare for anime films to get released in India. If my memory serves me right, it was Weathering with you that was one of the first anime movies to be widely released in India. And that was because of persistent requests by the anime fandom in India.
Following its successful run, distributors in India became more confident and are now more interested in releasing anime films in the future in India on a regular basis.
India has a sizeable anime population. The amount that JJK has earned so far is quite the gross at the moment (no joke) in a country where the film industry is completely dominated and overrun by domestic movies. It'll take a while before anime films can hit the million $ mark in India.

Mugen train was also released, albeit very late (almost a year after its release in Japan) due to the pandemic but I do not know how much it earned.
Sachin Singh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:53 am Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:

If we calculate the average price of the tickets and divide ut with how much it has earned since it's release on 30th january then the approximate amount of tickets sold would number somewhere around 350k-450k, which is still a lot of people. The first anime movie released in india was weathing with you, and it was released 2-3 years ago, and that only happened because there was a lot of fans requesting it. So comparing it to US is impossible, anime films in US have been releasing for decades meanwhile the total amount of anime movies released here won't even reach double digits. The good thing about this situation is that the release window between the movie's release in India vs it's original releasein japan is getting shorter and shorter, the more it decreases the better the movies will earn. One thing the distributors have to learn is that if the movie is already online then people won't bother going to theatre to watch it, this is especially the case with Indian anime fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1