• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa, Shueisha, Shogakukan Sue Mangamura Pirate Site for 1.9 Billion Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to know what they're using to estimate those inflated figures. There's no way they lost $3-bil USD in five months. They're assuming that far too many visits would translate to potential sales.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
I'd love to know what they're using to estimate those inflated figures. There's no way they lost $3-bil USD in five months. They're assuming that far too many visits would translate to potential sales.

I agree, after reading the article and seeing this part:

ANN wrote:
According to Japan's Content Overseas Distribution Association (CODA), between September 2017 and February 2018, users accessed Mangamura about 620 million times. The association estimated that this caused 319.2 billion yen (about US$2.92 billion) worth of damage to copyright holders in Japan during that time.

I'm skeptical of this information because how come we never seen this made being public? Why did Wall Street Journal, New York Times, CNN, nor any mainstream media that specialize on East Asian affair never did any investigative journalism on this before this was made public? Also if this Mangamura is accessed 620 million times like the article claimed, how come I've never heard of it?

I like to remind all ANN netizens (& staff) that Japan has been hit by data falsification scandals that has been plaguing Japan's industry for the last few years since 2014. In case for some of you that aren't aware of this, here's are some information:

2014 Times article: Japanese Stem-Cell Scientist Guilty of Falsifying Data (2nd source: The Diplomat), The Japanese scientist who was behind the data falsification scandal committed suicide.

2018 Science magazine article report about the scientist who was at the heart of the stem cell data falsification in Japan

NY Times 2018 article-Kobe Steel’s Falsified Data Is Another Blow to Japan’s Reputation

The Guardian article from 2018 about Japanese firm falsified earthquake safety data on 2020 Olympic venues

2017 NPR article about Japan's data falsification

BBC News from 2017 about Japan's data falsification scandal

In 2018, Nissan admits falsifying emissions data on cars made in Japan

So do I think and do I smell a possible data falsification as a setup and a justification to go after "illegal" pirating sites? I don't rule that out and given Japan's history of data falsification, it wouldn't surprised me that the 3 billion dollars loss thing could've been made up or falsified. I take any data in this article with a grain of salt. How do I know that Japan's anime and manga industry aren't plagued by data falsification too if other industry in Japan are hit with the scandal like I mentioned above.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Damages are so subjective. They should have to calculate based on known loss. Unfortunately, that would likely amount to $0. This should be a criminal affair, not civil. Losses are what you would have lost if you had it to begin with, whereas misses are opportunities for gains that were not obtained. Can’t lose what you didn’t have to begin with.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Can’t lose what you didn’t have to begin with.
wasn't it that it was their property being stolen and sold ?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:59 pm Reply with quote
@ASAnime6 wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Can’t lose what you didn’t have to begin with.
wasn't it that it was their property being stolen and sold ?

He's likely referring to the overwhelming majority of that $2.92 billion of lost gains mentioned. In which case he would be entirely correct.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1