• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Teikoku Databank: Record 39.8% of Anime Studios Were in the Red in 2021

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:12 am Reply with quote
This is discouraging news... for anime fans and aspiring animators Sad
Gray.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:21 am Reply with quote
Studios are picking up alot of Isekai series nowadays
There are more than 5 Isekai shows every season, it's ridiculous,it got boring already.
xaelcry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:18 am Reply with quote
Gray. wrote:
Studios are picking up alot of Isekai series nowadays
There are more than 5 Isekai shows every season, it's ridiculous,it got boring already.

It's not only that.
The problem lies in how the industry works,
BD is very hecking expensive and they push anime that is just isekai isekai isekai every single season with quality between average or below.
With the expensive licenses (so it could be localized outside and sold or streamed), expensive VA for hire, and the industry over-saturated towards the A grade VA, and the animators didn't get enough appreciation.

Oh yeah, don't forget about COVID.
TexZero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:50 am Reply with quote
This is good news in disguise.

Now as opposed to liscencing every generic isekai they'll need to turn to products that can actually move a market.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:37 am Reply with quote
@TexZero

In the past, when the market contracted the production committees got conservative and put out what they perceived as most likely to be hits. That meant more of the lowest common denominator. This is likely to mean more isekai rather than less.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:21 am Reply with quote
Dang it...I was going to also make a snarky isekai comment but at this point it would be redundant...so I'll make a serious comment instead.

I would be very interested in seeing a more granular breakdown of this data. Because while the industry as a whole may have contracted, there are likely studios that did well. Looking at those studios, their successes/output would be fascinating. Because that way we can potentially assess what shows aren't taking off and what are selling.

While I suspect it is the big, blockbuster anime that is doing well, I wonder if there sre other shows that are flying under the radar.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:01 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
That meant more of the lowest common denominator. This is likely to mean more isekai rather than less.

Exactly, I think there is just going to be more generic shows. Investors want risk-averse investments, not necessarily the biggest profit on the block. Guaranteed audience, even if it is smaller is better than flipping on coin on if a show will explode or flop.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:29 am Reply with quote
1/3 of anime bomb, 1/3 break even soon-ish after release or at least ad value the IP they are supposed to advertise and 1/3 are hits. So goes the rule of thumb. I can't say I am surprised. Covid delays plague the industry to this day so the slight rise isn´t too surprising.

The average revenue continuing to drop is the more concerning part. The low revenue in general also explains why the average anime look like an off-model slide show by ep 3 at the latest. There isn´t enough money to invest back into future products. Who knows if Covid remote work is to be blamed but I remember a time when anime used to look at least a bit better only years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:59 am Reply with quote
Stop picking up abysmal isekai and then you'll be in the black like you should be. Last Friday's trash dump pretty much explains why companies are suffering outside of Covid-19 and staff shortages.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Stop picking up abysmal isekai and then you'll be in the black like you should be. Last Friday's trash dump pretty much explains why companies are suffering outside of Covid-19 and staff shortages.

While I am sure that the influx of isekai is not helping things, a reminder that a lot of anime beloved in the west(cowboy bebop, certain gundam series, Trigun, etc.) Did pretty bad in terms of sales. Trigun was so unpopular that the premiere for the movie was in the US rather than Japan first.[/url]
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:31 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
1/3 of anime bomb, 1/3 break even soon-ish after release or at least ad value the IP they are supposed to advertise and 1/3 are hits. So goes the rule of thumb. I can't say I am surprised. Covid delays plague the industry to this day so the slight rise isn´t too surprising.

The average revenue continuing to drop is the more concerning part. The low revenue in general also explains why the average anime look like an off-model slide show by ep 3 at the latest. There isn´t enough money to invest back into future products. Who knows if Covid remote work is to be blamed but I remember a time when anime used to look at least a bit better only years ago.

If there's more anime being made, but the market isn't really expanding an equivalent amount, than even the anime that are successful will make less money on average.

Let's say there's three mexican restaurants in a city. Restaurant A gets 100 customers a night, Restaurant B gets 150 a night, and Restaurant C only gets about 50, for a total of 300 across the three of them. A gets 33.3%, B gets 50%, and C gets 16.6%.

If you doubled the amount of mexican restaurants in the city, but the amount of customers only went up by 100 in response, what would happen? There's basically two possibilities.

1) A, B, and C get the same amount of customers, which represents a smaller amount of the average. The new Restaurants, D, E, and F have to split the 100 new customers between them, which results in them all making less money than even C.

2) Some of A, B, and C's customers start going to D, E, and F instead. Even if D is as successful as B, both B and D would be making less money than B used to, and every other restaurant would be suffering.

There is much more anime being made now than there used to be, but there doesn't seem to have been an equivalent increase in demand - demand has increased, but not as much as supply has. This leads to a situation where the modest hits are making less money than they used to, and shows that would have been mild failures are now being completely buried. The only shows that are in the same place or doing better are mega-hits, which we still only get one or two of a season, because the demand hasn't increased enough to allow for many more huge hits.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:58 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
While I am sure that the influx of isekai is not helping things, a reminder that a lot of anime beloved in the west(cowboy bebop, certain gundam series, Trigun, etc.) Did pretty bad in terms of sales. Trigun was so unpopular that the premiere for the movie was in the US rather than Japan first.[/url]
Cowboy Bebop not doing well in Japan is a complete myth. It's actually one of the most popular anime of all-time there. It sold extremely well on home video every single time it was released.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210121224323/https://www.someanithing.com/312
https://web.archive.org/web/20210121210532/https://www.someanithing.com/334
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Its surprising that most of those who've commented b4 my post on this site don't know how this industry works... Isekai isn't to blame to say the least and its pops which is why we get so much. This is happening due to things like licenses, studios and or their employees not being paid enough and relying on BD sales and being forced to make more shows than they can financially handle amongst other things such as animators and others in the Biz not being paid enough and that INCLUDES Voice Actors (VA) as they don't make enough either from my understanding of the US VA and I'm sure that includes JP VA too. In the US VA have to take on other gigs to make ends meat, it's not a job u can do and live off of from my understanding. Basically, the industry at present, to me, sounds a lot like gambling or trying to predict the stock market... I also agree we'll see more Isekai in the future unless they change how the industry works which i doubt will happen that fast or that easily if it does at all... Basically, Isekai might be here for another 5 or so years as I think a specific theme/genre tens to stay relevant for about a decade give or take as this is nothing new.

If anything I've said is not correct, my apologies, it's been years since we last had Answerman on this site and it'd be nice to see it return even if its periodically when there's change in Japan for how anime is made and the process involved.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:43 pm Reply with quote
@Villain-chan

Also agree with you. Besides things like Covid, its interesting to see how other things can influence the state of anime nowadays. Even small guessing like Answerman would do.
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:55 pm Reply with quote
This is normal in every single industry or anything regarding business. Nothing goes up and keeps going up non-stop, there will always been retraction, including sustained retraction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2