• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Blocks Several Mandarake Stores From Selling Erotic Books for 180 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, this stinks!

Why don't the Mandarake stores just move?
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:32 pm Reply with quote
EleutheroMaster wrote:
Well, this stinks!

Pretty sure I've heard they have issues when it comes to zoning making it difficult to find ample retail space for the mix of things they sell (like erotic books, doujin manga, and unofficial figures).

All of the stuff in Mandarake stores are also listed on their website so anyone that shops at those stores can still just go online and buy it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:15 am Reply with quote
EleutheroMaster wrote:
Well, this stinks!

I haven't been back to the Nakano store since the pandemic, but the shopping center where Mandarake Nakano is located is pretty packed. The lower levels feature a variety of shops, a grocery store, pachinko and UFO machine parlors, restaurants, etc. while the upper levels feature lots of collectibles including a couple of Mandarake stores and some dentist offices as you near the top. I would expect that finding an empty space, even one that is not near an area where kids would go, would be difficult, particularly in that center.

It's a shame that some compromise couldn't be met, such as still maintaining both stores but simply list "Banned Books" without any pictures as the storefront. Mandarake could then have someone staff the front door to ensure that those younger than 18 (20?) don't enter the store. I'm sure that those in the know could figure out the kind of goods that said store would sell without blatant pictures.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:45 am Reply with quote
Because they were near a hospital? I know in the US we have laws that prohibit adult materials being sold in or near school zones, but a hospital? That seems totally random...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:18 am Reply with quote
Akcoll99 wrote:
Because they were near a hospital? I know in the US we have laws that prohibit adult materials being sold in or near school zones, but a hospital? That seems totally random...

Talk about overreach for sure, wtf; a hospital is not a school or playground. It's an odd law that needs slight revision.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:24 am Reply with quote
EleutheroMaster wrote:
Well, this stinks!

In Nakano Broadway they have 39 shops, each with a specialty. They have stores in other areas such as Akihabara and Ikebukuro. Moving the 39 shops would require finding affordable space, Nakano Broadway is relatively cheap, and them moving everything. Easier to simply find a place for that one store.

BTW the Nakano Broadway mall was almost empty when the first Mandarake opened in 1980 selling used manga. They opened their second store in 2 years, and then opened others, the foot traffic they generated resulted in other businesses renting space making the mall the vibrant place it is today. Even so the top floor has many vacant spaces.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
If the location of the stores means they can't sell certain content, then what purpose is there in blocking those sales for six months? The content wouldn't change in a way that goes from prohibited to acceptable just because the calendar says a certain date. The things the stores are around, presumably, will still be there too. Is it that the Safety Commission has a limit on how long its dispositions can last and they'll renew it later?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1