• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arbitral Ruling Finds Cooking Mama: Cookstar Game's Release Unlawful

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:47 pm Reply with quote
This is going to go on for a while. Now Office Create needs to ask a U.S. court to order Planet Entertainment to actually pay the fine. Which they have done, except Planet has of course responded by saying no, they didn't do anything wrong.

If you care to follow all of this, stay tuned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:43 pm Reply with quote
This remains one of the weirdest gaming stories I have ever seen.
Metazoxan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Definitely.

I mean assuming Office Create aren't lying about what they gave permission for (not sure why they'd lie but just for the sake of argument) it's wild to think a company would seriously release a game without permission regardless of if they had a comission or not.

Even if they manage to get away without paying they'll obviously never work on cooking Mama again and it will likely be hard to get anyone else to liscense them an IP.

So their only hope will just be to make origional games and they don't seem like a big enough studio to survive on that alone. Unless they just focus on cooking Mama knock off games since they have experience making one.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:52 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

It is strange, for sure. The Switch release, I could see where maybe there was disagreement on whether the contract was terminated, and Planet Entertainment put it on the shop to get some revenue it thought it was entitled to receive. The strange part is that a year after the publisher got it pulled down, they did it again with a version that the publisher didn't authorize them to make at all. Did Planet somehow think that it received the rights to Cooking Mama and didn't need permission to make it? And then putting it up for sale when they knew by then that the publisher would have it pulled was just asking for trouble. Very odd.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1