• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Actor Jason David Frank Passes Away at 49

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShinuZERO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:53 pm Reply with quote
This one hit harder than I expected. RIP to one of the legends. I drifted away from PR when I found out about Sentai but I will always be thankful to MMPR for getting me into Tokusatsu.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:56 pm Reply with quote
That's heartbreaking. As a fan of Power Rangers during the 90s, he was a favorite of fans since he was a bad boy turned good and people love the storyline of the relationship between the Green ranger and Pink ranger.

Rip JDF, aka Tommy the Green ranger.
dsfjr1190

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Crossposted from reddit:

This one hurts. I grew up watching him on screen. When he left during Turbo, that combined with me aging, it caused me to lose a lot of interest in the Power Rangers franchise. I ultimately bowed out after In Space.

But I always returned when he did. Whether it was for his one off guest spots or for an entire season. I had to see Tommy whenever I could.

JDF always seemed like a passionate guy who genuinely appreciated the property/fandom. Whereas other former rangers seemed embarrassed at having been a power ranger, he embraced it. He never seemed embarrassed or ashamed to be associated with Power Rangers at all.

RIP to an icon.
CrimeVsCrime

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Man, first Batman, now Tommy. 90s kids going through some tragic losses this month. Sad Rest in Power JDF. You were a real one.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:38 pm Reply with quote
This is the 2nd time this year that I'm feeling what I'm feeling right now due to to something so unexpected. What I'm feeling is at a level that I do not feel comfortable being in and I wished to never feel this way again. The first was in July due to unexpected passing of my GOAT, Kazuki Takahashi. What I posted in that article is the equivalent to what I want to say here but reword it relating it to Power Rangers because JDF is my GOAT PR.

I am at a loss for words, especially when the cause was by suicide. I feel uncomfortable saying RIP to that, but I do want to express how bad JDF's passing hurts me. Thank you for the great times. You are the legend of all PR legends.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to say. Power Rangers was my childhood, I grew up watching reruns of the show the original Power Rangers, and then I caught up until I got to SPD, episodes like Forever Red and Tommy's return in Dino Thunder were highlights of the series. I want to express my deepest condolences for Mr. Frank and his family.
PS: Daniel Abundis, who voiced Jason as Tommy in Zeo, Turbo and Forever Red in the Neutral Spanish dub gave his condolences as well.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:23 pm Reply with quote
May his memory be a blessing.
vgiannell5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming his death happened after Cosmic Fury was filmed?
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Power Rangers got me into tokusatsu, and Tommy was huge in my childhood. For better or worse, JDF was the face of Power Rangers for years and years in the U.S. His loss is a heavy one. I hope he rests easy.

Also, FTR: "rest in power" is reserved for people who have died fighting systematic oppression, it might not be appropriate to use it for JDF.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:09 pm Reply with quote
vgiannell5 wrote:
I'm assuming his death happened after Cosmic Fury was filmed?

They're currently in New Zealand now and found out the news yesterday.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Now this feels really really bad.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:47 am Reply with quote
I...I'm just shocked. Honestly and genuinely shocked. I can barely even process this coming so soon after Kevin Conroy's death.

Power Rangers was such a huge part of my childhood and shaping me as a person, watching season after season, but the saga of Tommy Oliver and his journey and how that impacted the history of the franchise always kept me engrossed and he was part of so many memorable moments of the franchise and seemed to love and care for the show and the fans so much.

RIP Tommy. RIP Jason David Frank.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:22 am Reply with quote
I heard about this morning when I woke up, I couldn't believe it and thought it was a online hoax/pranks. But I started to see more confirmation that Jason's death was real/legitimate.

It broke my heart, Jason was the face of Power Rangers and his death is going to hit Power Rangers/Super Sentai franchise really hard in the US/west.

RIP Jason David Frank (1973-2022) Sad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RommieSG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:42 am Reply with quote
CrimeVsCrime wrote:
Man, first Batman, now Tommy. 90s kids going through some tragic losses this month

You said it... Crying or Very sad
3ngag3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:49 am Reply with quote
If you were a kid in the 1990s, chances are that when you came home from school in the afternoon, the first thing you would do is turn on your TV to watch the latest Power Rangers episode to see what kind of badass thing Tommy Oliver would do next.

I was one of those kids.

Give your loved ones a hug if they need it. Suicide is no joke.

Rest in Peace, Tureheart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2