• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tomo-chan Is a Girl! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:20 am Reply with quote

Tomo-chan Is a Girl! (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 8 Volumes, by Fumita Yanagida)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Lay-duce

Genres: comedy, romance

Theme: school

Plot Summary: Tomo and Jun have been best buds since they were little kids, but now that they're in high school, Tomo wants to be more than friends...... too bad Jun just sees her as 'one of the guys.' Tomo may be a tomboy, but she's determined to prove to Jun that she's a woman, too.

Air Date & Platform:
January 4, 2023 (Wednesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

The title was probably enough to be pretty sure that it would get my attention, although with associated worries. I like me some gender stuff, and a character that blurs the line with gender like a tomboy, is going to be someone I might start off liking quickly. My associated worries might be something along the lines of saying that being a tomboy is an okay phase when young, but to mature into an adult they have to act like their assigned gender, which I think sucks. And honestly in the first part of the episode my worries were proving true, where it was some flavour of implying that she needs to act like a proper girl/woman.

And then a little better when the male senpai, who I guess was implied to be a bit feminine, said that she is plenty charming herself, and that she shouldn't concern with changing herself. And then he got weird about seeing her cleavage, which I really hope won't be some part of her needing to try and make herself feminine, because her boobs do that enough.

And then we had a section with some girlier (aggressive) girls, who wanted to kind of pick a (non-physical) fight with Tomo, because they thought that she was too close to that senpai, who they liked. And then Tomo mistook their mention of liking the senpai as them wanting love advice, so they should be her friends to get closer to him, and by some trope of masculine girl, they maybe got a little attracted to her. I kind of hope that the last bit isn't just a sort of mean spirited joke of them finding her a bit attractive, because I have kind of gotten sick of romance anime that treat queerness as just a joke. There is already some level of queerness to this show, with a not typically gender presenting character.

But oddly, I think my actual favorite parts of the episode in terms of comedy, would probably be between Jun and Gundou, specifically the parts where he pushed her into the rain, and he took off her scrunchy and tossed it onto the ground. They were just so petty but annoying acts of Jun getting back at her for trying to rile him up, that I just found it very funny. Her character type tends to be the edgy ones who can just do things to other characters without really getting anything back without it really being serious, and especially by such a male character.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:51 am Reply with quote
After one episode, it's still not clear to me if I'll hang around to the end, but I feel mildly hopeful. I like the dynamic between Tomo and Junichiro and I LOVE Gundou. I was initially confused over whether Junichiro really didn't understand that Tomo was a girl or whether he knew she was a girl but just treated her like a guy. It seems to be the latter. Willing to check out more to see where this is going.
zfunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:08 pm Reply with quote
The unofficial Good Luck Girl! spinoff starting Ranmaru Rindo sort of. The main character reminds me of Ranmaru, at the very least her father is just like Ranmaru's dad. Though really she is kind of a combo Ranmaru and the GLG MC Ichigo Sakura. In terms of body type, not having many female friends, and boy raised as a girl.

Actually those girls that Tomo got into a confrontation with, look two of the mean girls from Good Luck Girl!

I am sorry no GLG comparison, overall this show was hilarious, and it has a lot of hot.

Personnel I am more interested in Tomo having only female friend, and feeling isolated from the other girls, and I more interest in Tomo making female friends than the love story. Not that I have anything against getting together with Junichiro.

I thought I was done with talking about Good Luck Girl!, I felt similar with Ichigo's relationship. I more interested in making friends with Ranmaru and Nadeshiko and those relationship than her relationship with Keita.

It is similar feelings here so far. Tomo outside of Gundou having all guy friends, and no female friends because they are scared of her, that is interesting and kind of sad.
SJHHJ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:15 am Reply with quote
This is still unclear for me after first series . I appreciate how Tomo and Junichiro interact, and I adore Gundou. I wasn't sure at first if Junichiro truly didn't comprehend that Tomo was a girl or if he did, but he still treated her like a boy. The latter seems to be the case. willing to investigate further to see where this leads.I work as a chair.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Gundou kind of reminds me of that female character on Fruits Basket who could read waves.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:43 pm Reply with quote
The bus scene where Tomo, as strong as she is, didn't want to retaliate while Jun was nearby, was a pretty real scenario, maybe too real for a comedy. I know why the scene was in there, obviously to establish Jun as a standup guy with some faults of his own.

I'm not too crazy about Carol Olston. I would prefer if they didn't go with the trope of a dunderhead blonde with large breasts and poor speaking skills.

Still the show has been good so far, so its a modest 3.5 out of 5 stars this episode.
zfunk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Carol's voice actress does interest me, she the person in both the original and the dub, so kudos to her for trying such a task.

Carol does have a bit of Chika Fujiwara vibe. Tough with bigger boobs (and that is saying something because Chika is stac in her own right) and maybe even a bigger airhead if that is possible. Though Chika is funnier. In this episode role reversal she was the student to the male lead, while Chika is the teacher to the male lead when she and the male lead have focus episode.

I mean two episodes, this show is hilarious, and I see no reason to stop watching, through the grope part was not funny.

Last edited by zfunk on Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:24 am Reply with quote
<<The bus scene where Tomo, as strong as she is, didn't want to retaliate while Jun was nearby, was a pretty real scenario, maybe too real for a comedy. I know why the scene was in there, obviously to establish Jun as a standup guy with some faults of his own.>>

I have mixed feelings about it too. I would have enjoyed seeing Tomo rip the perv a new one. I also understand that the feeling of shame and humiliation making her quiet is a realistic flaw. I guess what bothers me is that it's not being addressed as something she should work on.

When she and Gundo talked about it, Tomo didn't even seem bothered by her lack of response. She had already moved on with an "Oh, Jun took care of it." That bugs me.'

The scene was more about making Jun look good. That said, it's not like I'm screaming to boycott the show or hating everything about it now.

I thought Gundo's reaction to the perv incident was interesting. There's obviously some back story there.

Anyhow, except for that, I enjoyed the episode a lot. Whether Carol is blonde or has boobs or whatever, I would have found her bizarre straightforwardness/awkwardness funny regardless of what she looked like. I'm not sure she's dumb so much as living on her own planet.

And I said this in a post about Ice Guy and His Cool Co-worker, but romantic comedies live on the strength of their leads, but they'll die a slow death if they don't have some interesting support characters. Gundo is shaping up to be pretty awesome.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Not sure why I really liked the bit where Carol interrupted Tomo's questions of why they made her have lunch with him, to make a tune for the return of her Carol's headband back to her. Maybe reminded me of a favourite recent gift I got recently was a nice headband, which I thought I lost, but actually just happened to find it. But the character doing her own thing is also fun.

I know that the two girls, Mifune and Ogawa, as being queer in having a clear attraction to Tomo. But it is also fairly easy to read into other places Misuzu I think getting jealous over Tomo being touchy with Carol, or really also just in how Carol was sounding about wanting to be close with Misuzu.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:04 am Reply with quote
I love Carol! How unusual that a seiyuu would also do the English dub. I'll have to check that out, for sure.

For me, what this show is doing very well is surrounding its two leads and their limited premise (dude isn't treating her like a girl and she has a crush on him) with very engaging secondary characters. I feel like the show is not putting too much weight on the show's central premise. It's an approach that I wish Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible would use more.

eta: just checked out Sally Amaki's performance as Carol in the English dub - she's just as awesome as in the Japanese audio! She was born in LA so makes sense her English is very good. Huh. I wonder if there other examples of dual roles out there. I'm pretty much a sub-only viewer so I'm not real plugged into the dubverse.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
eta: just checked out Sally Amaki's performance as Carol in the English dub - she's just as awesome as in the Japanese audio! She was born in LA so makes sense her English is very good. Huh. I wonder if there other examples of dual roles out there. I'm pretty much a sub-only viewer so I'm not real plugged into the dubverse.

I'm really surprised that they didn't do that with the character Mia Taylor from Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club. She's played by a voice actor that's bi-lingual and lived in Australia from age 2-18, so she could have easily played that character in the English dub.

What I really like about this and Kaina of the Great Snow Sea is that the two shows really showcase how good a voice actor Rie Takahashi is with the characters Tomo and Liliha.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:11 am Reply with quote
Those two roles really show Rie Takahashi's range. If you hadn't mentioned it, I would never have guessed that it's the same seiyuu doing both roles. As expected from Megumin!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't comment on this when I first saw it, but I've been freaking out a little over it ever since. Personally, I think all four of the main Konosuba Japanese voice actors are A list.

So I watched Tomo's birthday episode. I'm liking Jun more - I never hated him, but he was probably my least favorite. Didn't expect to find out that some of his issues come from a feeling of inferiority. And Carol doesn't even annoy me a little bit now.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
Gundou kind of reminds me of that female character on Fruits Basket who could read waves.

Absolutely. I hadn't thought of that myself but as soon as I read your post, it made sense. Anyway, it was fun seeing Tomo all girled out. She cleans up nice and can even do a girl voice when she puts her mind to it. Carol as ever is a delight. Man, I wish I had a friend who could give me a huge gold bar as a birthday present.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2