• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Original Live-Action Film Cast Returns for Netflix's Scott Pilgrim Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:51 am Reply with quote
Could this potentially be one of the most expensive anime VO casts? Seriously, these are all huge actors for the most part. Also, I can't wait to see the cast for characters that never appeared in the movie. Finally, what about the kateyanagi twins? They were played by actors who never knew english, and if they adapt the comic, they have a decent amount of speaking lines.
olgita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:55 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, this is happening! And the whole cast is returning? That's actually pretty neat Very Happy
Nigel Planter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:03 am Reply with quote
That's.... disappointing. Many of them were complete miscasts and were nothing like their comic counterparts (Scott especially). Is it going to be based on the live-action movie and not the comic then or going to be some weird hodgepodge/new thing.
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:11 am Reply with quote
"Miscasts" my ass, the movie was near perfect. Couldn't be any more happier with these news.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:27 am Reply with quote
Nigel Planter wrote:
That's.... disappointing. Many of them were complete miscasts and were nothing like their comic counterparts (Scott especially). Is it going to be based on the live-action movie and not the comic then or going to be some weird hodgepodge/new thing.

Bryan Lee O'Malley is deeply involved in this, along with Edgar Wright.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:44 am Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
"Miscasts" my ass, the movie was near perfect. Couldn't be any more happier with these news.

Just wondering, but have you ever read the original comic? Because the movie was quite different from it, especially the character portrayals.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:54 am Reply with quote
That’s a very large budget for A-list stars for a movie that didn’t do that great at the box office (it was up against The Expendables but still).

Still want to see some visuals soon.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:07 am Reply with quote
Now that´s a neat gimmick. The movie wasn´t better or worse than the then-unfinished comic and people will continue to debate which version is better but the comic is a 00s product. A lot of it, as its take on queer characters, is dated and would get flack today so expect changes even if the now-period setting is retained.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Los Nido

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:18 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Now that´s a neat gimmick. The movie wasn´t better or worse than the then-unfinished comic and people will continue to debate which version is better but the comic is a 00s product. A lot of it, as its take on queer characters, is dated and would get flack today so expect changes even if the now-period setting is retained.

Personally, that's why the comic was fun. It's peak early 00s distillation that represents my growing years. But yeah, I imagine they'll probably censor and change stuff for 'modern sensibilities' as is the case with these kinds of projects unfortunately. Don't have too much hope for it with how so many other reboots of old things always end up turning out.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
That's cool they got the cast back. It reminds me of that animated short on Scott and Kim's relationship that also used the movie VA's.

I'm just curious how the animation will look considering I'm expecting they'll be going for something similar to the comic.
charliepanayi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to it, though would be good if like the Fruits Basket anime reboot they did the whole comic this time. Also people saying this cast is A-listers or whatever, they are not, with the possible exception of Chris Evans. There's lot of good actors there, but these are character actors on the whole or people who mainly do independent projects, it's not like they got DiCaprio, Sandra Bullock and Matt Damon or something.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:24 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Could this potentially be one of the most expensive anime VO casts? Seriously, these are all huge actors for the most part.
It even has Hollywood Royalty, whoever thought we would see that in an Anime, even if it is adapted from a Canadian graphic novel.
Los Nido wrote:
It's peak early 00s distillation that represents my growing years. But yeah, I imagine they'll probably censor and change stuff for 'modern sensibilities' as is the case with these kinds of projects unfortunately.
That's depressing, I always though of the 00s as part of the modern era.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It was my favorite series back in it's prime, probably because I was the same age as the characters then. I still have a soft spot in my heart for it, but it is definitely a product of its time. I mean both the comic and movie open up with "Scott Pilgrim is dating a high-schooler" Rolling Eyes

I had no idea that Bryan had done a cover of Shojo Beat!
Zoltan Kakler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree it's a 'product of the time' but not for any kind of moral or sensibility reasons. It was made and represents an era before nerd culture went mainstream. In an era where Big Bang Theory is super huge and Star Wars and superhero cinema is so grossly oversaturated to the point of fatigue it almost seems quaint to make a show like this.

Honestly, it'll probably be pretty cringe if it's kept the same. And if it's updated to be about modern nerd references, it'll be pretty cringe in a new kind of way. Haven't read the comic since I was in high school though. I wonder how my tolerance for ironic hipster nerd humor is these days...
funkfoot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
It was my favorite series back in it's prime, probably because I was the same age as the characters then. I still have a soft spot in my heart for it, but it is definitely a product of its time. I mean both the comic and movie open up with "Scott Pilgrim is dating a high-schooler" Rolling Eyes

Don't worry, that still happens in the current day. It'll be relatable to modern audiences.

the only thing that wont have aged well is Scott singing Backstreet Boys and other mid-2000s indie Canadian bands no one knows about in the year 2023.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3