• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Sunday to become six-hour block

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriggerZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:30 pm Reply with quote
that good, but y the repeats. why not just show different shows
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Because far fewer people would be watching, so getting the licenses to show additional shows at that time would be a waste of money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:11 am Reply with quote
6 hours? holy shit. seems like a stupid idea though. if people can't watch it now, what makes them think they'll be able to watch it even later in the morning?
Meson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:17 am Reply with quote
But people can watch the show. Adult Swims ratings are good. Where did you get the idea that no one was watching? The aniem fans that complain about the time? Remeber, most anime fans are in school, and therefore not members of Adult Swim's target demographic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:36 am Reply with quote
Well I am in the target demographic as a twenty-year-old college student, and sometimes I am up that late already. I am in fact, disappointed by all the young kids I saw at con's wearing Inu Yasha and other AS cosplay. (This was during the spring). If they have satilite, I understand them getting an East Coast feed, and if that is the case, you can see the same people the repeat, because then they can watch it at the same time as those on the west coast cable feed.
Magar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I think the general theory is that replaying the AS block from 2am-5am if probably going to generate better ratings than replaying Powerpuff Girls and Ed, Edd, 'n Eddy.

The ratings would however be too low to show new or different shows. What's the point of running new episodes of anything at 4:30am? It's a typical 3 hour block rebroadcast, which a LOT of cable channels do - rerunning their 8pm-11pm block from 11pm to 2am for West Coast viewers. It just happens that Adule Swim starts and runs later, that's all.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Meson wrote:
But people can watch the show. Adult Swims ratings are good. Where did you get the idea that no one was watching? The aniem fans that complain about the time? Remeber, most anime fans are in school, and therefore not members of Adult Swim's target demographic.

i'm saying if people can't stay up to watch the first showing, they're obviously not going to get up any later to watch the second showing.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:57 pm Reply with quote
This actually makes more sence for the west coast really. Since there's only one feed right now, Adult swim starts at 9pm on the west coast compared to 11pm on the East Coast. This means the repeat would actually be shown at 12am, a much more reasonable time.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:00 am Reply with quote
Why not show other shows that they already have, rather than showing things twice. Like, Gundam Wing [uncut] or Tenchi (more uncut would be nice) Outlaw Star, Big O 1 and 2. I mean they have the rights to other shows...

Of course, I'm not sure how this works, but maybe they have to pay a rolty every time they show an eps. Not that they have the rights to show any show more than once... I'm not really sure how it works. But even so, won't they have to pay cowboy bebop more than once a night? ...Who knows. -_-
Justin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:27 am Reply with quote
I am very pleased that Adult Swim is going to run twice a night. On my box, Adult Swim starts at 9PM when I am still at work. Re-running it at 12AM gives me a chance to get home and watch it.

I'm pretty sure this is the goal of Cartoon Network. Make the show run twice and more people will watch it. I'm sure ratings won't increase drastically, but they will increase.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:21 am Reply with quote
Well, obviously they likely have to pay something extra to the licensor in order to show the episodes twice in one night, but the cost is probably far less than licensing new shows outright.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:44 am Reply with quote
Umm Emerje, there is a west coast feed and only people with Sat dish get the East coast feed, in my experience. Of course it varies between cable companies, but there is a west coast feed that I have.
Edit:
Also, the shows they show depend on the scheme they have with the companies. If it is a site thing, and all of AOL/TW has use of it during the time, they can use it unlimited times. It could also be a showing issue where they have a limited showing set explicitly.
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's kind of good for me. Some times I came home from work just when AS is over, so the repeats are nice. But, I mastered my VCR (Soon to be DVR.), so it was never an issue. Meanwhile over in TechTV land, they are cutting back "Anime Unleashed" to one hour a day and one and half on Sunday. Hmm, time for TechTV to find a nice long title to pull people in. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:04 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Umm Emerje, there is a west coast feed and only people with Sat dish get the East coast feed, in my experience. Of course it varies between cable companies, but there is a west coast feed that I have.

OK, my mistake then. It does seem that only a few areas get it, mainly those in the Pacific time zone. The others, according to the CN schedule, use the Eastern time feed.

But really, what they'll be doing with AS is no different than what they do with CCF on Friday evening and night, sometimes reshowing shows as many as 3 times through the night.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1