• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spirited Away (movie).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Spirited Away (movie)

Source: Original (by Hayao Miyazazki)

Demographic: Everyone

Animation Studio: Studio Ghibli

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy, supernatural

Themes: anthropomorphs, demi-humans, environmentalism, folklore, magical creatures, spirits, transformations, youkai

Plot Summary: On their way to their new home, a young girl, Chihiro, and her parents stumble into what appears to be an abandoned theme park. But all is not as it seems, as the theme park is a bath-house for the spirits, and not a place where humans are welcome. Chihiro must fend for herself and rescue her parents, as they have been turned to pigs as punishment for eating the food meant for the gods.

Air Date & Platform:
July 20, 2001 (Friday)
Available on: HBO Max

Episode Count / Runtime: 125 minutes
----------------------------------

[Index Pending]

Well, I didn't think this would be better than Mononoke; maybe equal to, but it was. What a deep creation that spirit world is. There's so much detail to the sets and creatures. And the story was quite the adventure, as well. It's not a forest spirit/beast war, but for a ten-year-old girl just trying to save her parents, it was still pretty darn epic. This is gonna' be difficult to get screen caps for, as it's brimming with brilliant art and design. I dare say this is the #1 go-to for anyone ever wanting to see anime at the pinnacle of its production.

I was reading stuff on Wikipedia and stumbled upon a blurb about how Western critics labeled this as a "game-changer," in that it its Oscar win helped boast animation as a viable medium for mature storytelling, since most Western animation usually isn't as serious. But I'm sure anime fans already knew (and still know) that animation has been a viable medium for decades. It's just a shame that it took almost half a century for some non-anime fans to realize it (and continue to).

But yeah, this movie was phenomenal, and I thought that just from speed-watching it. I'll probably be quadrupled in awe when I re-watch it at normal speed on my OPPO-203, which will upscale the picture to 4K and add a 12-bit Dolby Vision layer to make everything look as immaculate as possible, outside of actually getting this mastered in 4K (hopefully some day!).

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Talk about a classic, it is not a movie easily forgotten too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1