• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My New Boss is Goofy (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:17 pm Reply with quote

My New Boss is Goofy (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 2 volumes, by Dan Ichikawa)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures

Genres: comedy, slice of life

Themes: adult cast, bromance, workplace

Plot Summary: 26-year-old office worker Kentarō Momose recently changed jobs after his previous boss harassed him. He's worried his new boss will also use power harassment to make his life miserable. Momose is trying to hide his anxious stomach when he first meets his new boss Yūsei Shirosaki, however he's surprised to find his new boss is such a natural airhead that he eliminates all of Momose's anxiety.

Air Date & Platform:
October 7, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

I'm getting vibes of (The) Office, where this guy's boss might be a Michael Scott kind-of-guy. It only has two volumes, but is already getting an anime adaptation, which means it must be either wildly popular or really good (though the two tend to go hand-in-hand). A-1 is also very good at production quality, so I'll definitely give this a shot.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I am going to be real. I had kind of gotten over some of the shows that had done the whole kouhai/senpai thing in the workplace, where despite wanting more cute workplace anime some recent ones had me kind of lose interest over the season and another I could feel was going to make me frustrated. But dang if I found this possibly the cutest one yet.

I think it I felt those sorts of shows tried too hard with the cute short girl to tall man, that I just started to think trying too hard. But this show is just cute, and its between two dudes. And although I know this is probably going to stay just comedy, because they probably think making it romantic would make divisive, it does have me wanting this to be romantic. Maybe even more so when as the boss he refused to grab his arm because it could be sexual harassment, which just feels cuter than what shows would try to pull with some short woman character.

We need more cute guys.

Also, the story on the train with all the passengers reacting to it was perfect. The show also just makes me laugh a few times, like accidentally changing his desktop.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I can see the whole teetering romance, but I honestly feel it's just a plain 'ol bromance, which is definitely a rarity in anime/manga mediums. It reminds me a lot the movie I Love You, Man (2009) with Paul Rudd and Jason Segal, where Rudd proposes to his girlfriend, but it turns out he doesn't have any guy friends to invite for his side of the wedding. So he tries to find and make new guy friends, ending up with Segal's character as his eventual best friend, but there's a bunch of social awkwardness from Rudd, because he doesn't know how to interact with the typical guy, which Segal ends up improving, but a little too much, until it balances out by the end.

I feel like this has some of the same contrasting dynamic where one guy is more socially aloof than the other, but they'll eventually help each other out with funny moments in-between and just be bros for the whole series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I had to pause it until I could stop laughing at him wallpapering Momose. Just remembering it still gives me the giggles. And yeah, the detail of the train riders reacting was a great touch.

On the surface, this seems like a funnier, adult-focused Play It Cool, Guys (even with some of the same jokes, like looking for the phone you're talking on). But what's really weird is how much it reminds me of Boku no Sexual Harassment, with a nice boss instead of a predator. Shocked There's something about the art style that feels like a throwback, and Momose could be Mochizuki's brother from another artist. The scene with the mouse in Ep 1 was pulled straight from BnSH (and that's not the only example I've noticed) and they've referenced sexual harassment several times now. It's hard to tell if it's just using BL tropes, or if the references are intentional. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of what you might think of this series so far, if you're a cat person, you need to watch Episode 3. Very Happy Boss's new tsundere kitten is just what I needed (well, ok, tsundere is kind of the feline resting state, but you know what I mean).

Bonus for the train scene where all the passengers (including a co-worker) think Shirosaki is proposing to Momose.

I hope the manager gets a happier ending than he looks headed for. Crying or Very sad

I can't quite put my finger on what this series is doing that makes it work so much better than Play It Cool, Guys did, but so far there's been something in every episode that made me actually lol at least once, and usually I'm at least grinning my way through half of it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Regardless of what you might think of this series so far, if you're a cat person, you need to watch Episode 3. Very Happy Boss's new tsundere kitten is just what I needed (well, ok, tsundere is kind of the feline resting state, but you know what I mean).

The tsundere kitten was amazing and a little heartbreaking, especially since my sister and I just added two kittens to our household.

This show has been the best surprise of the season for me - it makes me smile every week and it just has such a good heart. I love all of the flashbacks to baby Yu as well; they're sweet without being cloying.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Ep 7

This was an especially funny episode. My immediate thought as they were walking home was, "Didn't they ride bikes there? oO" and sure enough. Very Happy Also lol at spiffing up the bike that wasn't his. And tsunyandere was heartwarming as usual. And plus the cabbie is a treasure too also.

But the best part was both their faces at the ending of "Scariest Stories in the World."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1