• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bo^7 serialization issue, Shaman King leaves SJ

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I just got my July 2007 issue of Shonen Jump in the mail, and lo and behold, Bobobo-Bo Bo-bobo was in the magazine! Very Happy

But there's 1 problem: the serialization starts at Chapter 110. Mad

If there is any reasonable explanation to this, then please, tell me.

Otherwise, WHY, Viz?! Anime cry

On the other hand, Shaman King will stop appearing in SJ. The last chapter(s?) to be released in the magazine will be in the August 2007 issue. After that, the serialization will cease as of the September 2007 issue. Beginning January 2008, Viz will then release the the rest of the series bi-monthly, ala DBZ. (If anybody wants proof, then I can provide a scan proving this later.

To be honest, I was expecting this to happen. Out of all the titles in SJ right now that needed to leave the mag and accelerate the release, Shaman King was the one. With the anime being over for quite some time now, the marketability for this show is pretty much dead. The series is also quite long, and it'd take a VERY long time to finish the series. In comparison to the other titles:

- Naruto, One Piece, and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX won't leave the mag in the forseeable future due to marketability.
- While the same can't exactly be said for Hikaru no Go (in terms of marketability), the anime is still ongoing, and it's not terribly long. It has something going for it, at least.
- While Yu-Gi-Oh! and Yu Yu Hakusho are technically in the same department as Shaman King, they aren't as long as Shaman King, and they will actually end in the forseeable future, so it would make sense to keep them in the mag and simply finish them.

SK's my 2nd-fave title in the mag (first being Yu-Gi-Oh!), so not being able to read it anymore is going to suck. But IMO, it had to happen eventually. Simply put, it was about time.

Also, it's been annonced that another title will premiere in the January 2008 issue, but the title itself is unknown ATM.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Once again you get SJ early. Lucky with the US postal service I guess.

Anyway...yikes for both stories. I'm not too interested in Bo7 but it'll be nice to have a new series....even if it is 100 chapters in (wtf?).
As for Shaman King...it was kinda what I look forward to most in the book. The thing is, it's not good enough to be worth buying on it's own (especially after the notorious ending, I wouldn't want to invest into it). Well, at least we'll have the new Naruto this fall!!! I really wish they would speed up Yu Gi Oh! I'm really enjoying the final arc but the 1 chapter a month thing is just killing the flow of the story. I want to see how it all ends already.

What could be the new series? Hopefully it'll be a brand new series and not something that's already being released separately (i.e. please GOD not Bleach or Reborn). Maybe Neuro? It's really the only obvious one to be next in line for a licensing. Or maybe Blue Dragon Ral Grado. While it is fairly new (and horrible from what I hear)...it has two things going for it. 1. Obata 2. Video-game tie in (if they wanna cash in on it, they need to release it while it's still relevant).
And then there's always the insane possibility of Kochi Kame.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Thats cool that Bo^7 is going to continue in the US but I don't by the graphic novels for Shaman King because it doesn't interest me that much and I only watched a few episodes on TV since Yu-Gi-Oh or something else was on during its time slot and then I stopped getting up early on saturdays. I wanted to see how ended though but I guess I'll just have to look it up since I don't want to buy the graphic novels. For the new series in 08 its pretty obvious that the Shippuden story is going to start so I think that is what Viz ment by a new series, I could wrong though. Now they just need to put more chapters of One Piece in shonen Jump.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Do you guys know what story arc they are at in Yugioh! right now? Because I might be able to tell when it ends in SJ.
AegisX

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Do you guys know what story arc they are at in Yugioh! right now? Because I might be able to tell when it ends in SJ.

They're in the Final Battle portion of the Memory World storyline. In other words, we still have a long way to go.
fusion duelist

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:19 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

In the most recent issue I have (June 2007) Yugi just showed up to help Atem.

I predict that yugioh R will be the mystery series they will run in august.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
Buster:
Quote:
But there's 1 problem: the serialization starts at Chapter 110. Mad
If there is any reasonable explanation to this, then please, tell me.

I'm guessing it takes place after volume "1", which is really volume 9. Either that, or it takes place after the anime. (Or it takes place after both formats.) Regardless, it's likely an excuse to make you buy the older volumes and speed up the run for Viz in hopes of eventually replacing it with something bigger. It doesn't really bother me, though, since Bo^7 doesn't really have a "plot".

Quote:
To be honest, I was expecting this to happen. Out of all the titles in SJ right now that needed to leave the mag and accelerate the release, Shaman King was the one.

It doesn't really have an ending though, so I don't see the point. Plus I don't see it being very popular enough to increase its rate. (Of course if it wasn't popular enough, it'd only get a quarterly release, so I could be wrong. ) I'm guessing this is really part of their plan to speed up Naruto to the Japanese edition.

bahamut: Viz appears to be getting pretty close to the Japanese run of Bleach, and Reborn's too short, so I doubt it'll be those titles. I'm hoping they'll be publishing one of Toriyama's better one-shots.

fighter: Third arc, somewhere between the fifth and sixth volumes.
detective392

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Thats kinda gay even though i dont read SK they should not add Bo^7 that's one the most stupidest anime/manga i have ever seen shouldent even have been brought to america they should have added something better that will do well.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
fusion duelist wrote:
In the most recent issue I have (June 2007) Yugi just showed up to help Atem.

I predict that yugioh R will be the mystery series they will run in august.

Oh, then they're almost done then. Haven't even bothered to read R because of the end of the first series.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Just got my issue this morning. Like others said, Shaman King isn't "pulling it's weight." Although Faust recently showed up again I was kinda looking foward to that. However I'm unwilling to pick up 30 odd volumes of this series so unless I find this in the library I'm pretty much done with Shaman King.

On the otherhand...anything but Bobobo Crying or Very sad I'm assuming they started serialization at 110 because they plan on releasing bimonthly or so graphic novels starting from the beginning and they don't want people bitching about it coming out slow so they just skipped a lot of chapters into the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Wait, what?! SHIT! Looks like I'm going to be adding a shitload of manga volumes into my buying roster. I love Shaman King and I will definitely pick up the volumes of it...even though it will completely kill my wallet. If they're going to start doing this, it's quite likely that I'll stop buying it. Because I'll be doing that with SJ and SB, I have a ridiculous list of manga to start buying, a lot of which is freaking long.

I'll be picking up:

1. One Piece
2. Shaman King
3. Yu Yu Hakusho
4. Quite likely YGO (including Duelist)
5. Hikaru no Go
6. Nana
7 Crimson Hero (maybe)
8. Vampire Knight
9. Backstage Prince (if there was more than the magazine ran)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
What's wrong with Bo^7? It makes sense to release that as a monthly, since the humour's all over the place, and you don't have expectations of it going anywhere, and being disappointed that it's stuck like OP and SK.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
Wait, what?! SHIT! Looks like I'm going to be adding a shitload of manga volumes into my buying roster. I love Shaman King and I will definitely pick up the volumes of it...even though it will completely kill my wallet. If they're going to start doing this, it's quite likely that I'll stop buying it. Because I'll be doing that with SJ and SB, I have a ridiculous list of manga to start buying, a lot of which is freaking long.

I'll be picking up:

1. One Piece
2. Shaman King
3. Yu Yu Hakusho
4. Quite likely YGO (including Duelist)
5. Hikaru no Go
6. Nana
7 Crimson Hero (maybe)
8. Vampire Knight
9. Backstage Prince (if there was more than the magazine ran)

Wow

So I have to add SHaman King to my list
Let's see....
Too many to list. I'm actually happy to see titles end most of the time. I buy about 20-30 manga per month.

SJ is incredibly drawn out here. In Japan they seem to put out a chapter a week--we're getting one or 2 per month. We should be much further in a lot of these titles than we are. They need to give us more pages or fewer titles so we can get more chapters per month on all these titles in SJ.
Trytan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Shaman King used to be my favorite manga in that magazine when I wasn't a big manga fan, and just kinda read my cousins extra issues, but now for some reason I just don't really like it. As for bobobo, just a guess but I think that they were already publishing it and were way farther. Its just like, if they started serializing Bleach (which they may have, I read that May 07 issue, and that had Bleach in it, but i'm not sure if they continued in the June issue), they would start on like volume 17.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Trytan wrote:
Shaman King used to be my favorite manga in that magazine when I wasn't a big manga fan, and just kinda read my cousins extra issues, but now for some reason I just don't really like it. As for bobobo, just a guess but I think that they were already publishing it and were way farther. Its just like, if they started serializing Bleach (which they may have, I read that May 07 issue, and that had Bleach in it, but i'm not sure if they continued in the June issue), they would start on like volume 17.

Bleach was just there as a special occasion for the full color chapter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2