• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otaku Hunting

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Maybe you've heard of the recent crime wave where bad dudes hang around Akihabara waiting to relieve unsuspecting geeks of their cash. This blog post links to a publication of questionable veracity where they interviewed one such "Otaku Hunter." Choice quote:
Quote:
Q: Why do you hunt otaku?
A: Its easier to steal money from otaku than oyaji [old guys] or others on the street. Besides, otaku have loads of money.
Q: Don't you feel guilty?
A: Not an ounce (laughs). I sometimes feel bad when stealing money from oyaji though. Otaku are dirty and smelly. They should be exterminated. Its just like Dragon Quest where you beat the monster and take the gold.
Q: Why do you hate otaku that much?
A: No reason. Well they are like cockroaches. They have the same smell.

This guy sounds like a real creep. What kind of person goes around sniffing cockroaches?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:19 pm Reply with quote
First off, I'd always be inclined to doubt the veracity of this type of reporting.The lurid tell-all shocker style doesn't really ring true.

But assuming that this is a true report... I trust I am not the only one who can see the immense irony in the fact that this guy uses a metaphor from Dragon Quest to describe the way he hunts otaku....?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
But assuming that this is a true report... I trust I am not the only one who can see the immense irony in the fact that this guy uses a metaphor from Dragon Quest to describe the way he hunts otaku....?

- abunai

I was wondering about that, seeing as how Dragon Quest is one of the most popular games in Japan. It's an interesting article, it reminds me of an episode of Welcome to the NHK where spoiler[Sato, Misaki, and Yamazaki all got scammed when they were trying to help Sato return the stuff in which he got scammed for the first time. Then when on the train they realized they got scammed themselves, haha good times.]

Quote:
Q: Who do you aim for?
A: The ones who seem to be wandering around - the weak ones. I dont go for the ones who have dyed their hair brown or have a good build.
Q: And why is that?
A: Its not as if I'm scared of them. Just want to be able to get my money easily without hassle.

EVERYONE DYE YOUR HAIR BROWN AND YOU'LL BE SAFE Rolling Eyes
Truered

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess I should feel lucky living in England. We're all targets over here!!! Laughing

Of course the people around my place probably wouldn't be able to pronounce otaku let alone track us down. Besides don't real geeks either shop online or spend all of their money before those "normal folk" are awake? Wink
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Truered wrote:
I guess I should feel lucky living in England. We're all targets over here!!! Laughing

Of course the people around my place probably wouldn't be able to pronounce otaku let alone track us down. Besides don't real geeks either shop online or spend all of their money before those "normal folk" are awake? Wink

Well we may all be targets but it's a damn sight easier to avoid our thieves...hell they all look the same, just look for burberry, sports wear when not doing sports and massive gold sovereigns...or just listen out for the most incoherent mob you can find.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:

Unfortunately, while it might be an ironic remark in the US, it's not so much the case in Japan. Nearly all Japanese males 40 and under have likely played and enjoyed Dragon Quest at some point in time... making it as mainstream as can be.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:30 pm Reply with quote
You guys do understand the difference between a Japanese Otaku and an American/overseas/gaijin otaku, or at least the different ways they are perceived right? There actually is a difference y'know.

In Japan otaku are seen as exactly what that guy was saying. They're viewed as anti-social pariahs who are actually a detriment to the social structure inherent in Japanese society. The stereotypical otaku lives in his bedroom and never changes his clothes or bathes and makes Gundam models all day. (Probably this is the idea of where the whole "cockroach" thing comes from. ) In a culture that seems to pride itself on group-oriented behavior and mindset, these are the stickout nails that need to get hammered down. Certainly I'm not condoning what this guy is saying, he is a creep regardless, but I think it's important to look at the cultural differences and see why otaku might be viewed as perfectly viable victims for a criminal to take advantage of.

I think it's hard for people who associate being an "otaku" with liking anime a lot to realize that this term actually has no real positive connotations in the culture it comes from. Calling yourself an otaku among your friends who like anime is one thing, but be careful when you try and translate across the Japan/Outsider cultural barrier.
chicogrande

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
The term itself, "Otaku Hunting" is distasteful.

Ok, the whole description of Otaku sounds like a total stereotype, but that's not saying is completely false. Like Genshiken taught us: Otakus come in many guises.

The Japanese media should be careful not to give too much validation to these thugs by featuring them too often. Some Otaku may be not the ideal members of society, but these "Otaku hunters" are no better.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
no one is condoning, robbing people.

Disliking Otakus on the otherhand, well, Its not good but keep in mind, the american equivilant to the true Japanese Otaku is basically this guy:

You cant tell me that deep down you don't kinda wanna rob that guy. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Well if it's one person doing the hunting, then there's a such thing as going in groups. I guess people haven't thought of that yet. Or maybe people should be working out and dying their hair.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
Uh, yeah that "article" is really sketchy. Nevertheless this is really sad that geeks are no longer safe in their mecca.

abunai wrote:

Heh, heh; that's so true.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
Hmm...tabloid press?

I don't think Akihabara is about to become a crime haven just yet. If it's real though, that guy has, ah, problems And ought he not be arrested or something?
ikillchicken wrote:
*picture*
Laughing
Subaru19 wrote:
*post* [just look up the page, people =)]
I myself find that the tendency to bully the weak and the isolated is more universal than cultural.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:29 am Reply with quote
Beating the crap out of the weak has been the longest running group participation sport that humans have ever created.

I'm sure that if one were to transport a Neanderthal forward in time to today, showed him that "Otaku Hunter" and friends and their Prey, the Neanderthal would instantly recognize what they are doing.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quote
I hope that this isn't a sign of change in Japan where reading comic books will make you an automatic looser like here.
Subaru19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:47 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Hmm...tabloid press?

I don't think Akihabara is about to become a crime haven just yet. If it's real though, that guy has, ah, problems And ought he not be arrested or something?
ikillchicken wrote:
*picture*
Laughing
Subaru19 wrote:
*post* [just look up the page, people =)]
I myself find that the tendency to bully the weak and the isolated is more universal than cultural.

I totally agree with you. I was just pointing out that there's a reason one might, in Japanese society, view otaku as particularly weak. I think at least when it comes to foreign otaku there are some degrees to which that statement doesn't apply. but yeah otaku come in many guises. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2