• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Adaptations of Shotaro Ishinomori Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenshin5000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood Live Action Adaptation of Cyborg 009?

Now that's out of left field. It's always been one of the most well-known mangas in Japan, but it was too old school for the majority of the American fans (even with the new series).

Hopefully, this'll be one movie that actually gets off of the ground.
BlackCassidy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but be pessimistic about the chances of this film actually coming together. What ever happened to Dragonball Z, Ninja Scroll, Lupin III, Speed Racer, Evangelion, Robotech, etc? A Cyborg 009 movie isn't such a bad idea, though, as it is reminiscent of American superhero team comics.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
If it's true that Japanese companies are bankrolling this independent of it being greenlighted by a major American studio, I'd say this has a better chance than all the on-hold or aborted live-action anime adaptations that were either proposed by American studios whose interest probably cooled greatly once they crunched the numbers and found out how expensive adapting them properly would likely cost (cough cough Fox's Dragonball Z) or were proposed by the company that handles the distribution of the anime in the domestic market but which don't have a studio financing them (cough cough Evangelion).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Heh. I'll believe this when I actually see a movie poster hitting theaters someday in the future. Rolling Eyes
weirdofu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Its interesting that they chose Cyborg 009 (if it is true, of course), since Cyborg 009 was not only old school, but very very politically incorrect in many many ways. The whole thing was filled with stereotypes, cliches, and such based on the nationality of the characters, which in some modern way can be seen as discrimination or racism (sexism in some places). So, really wondering if that will get translated into the live action movie as well.

However, the chances of them pulling it off properly is pretty slim, unless they have the proper budget and an imaginative director and designers in the back.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote
This is rather like asking a six-year-old to write a "Kino's Journey" fanfic.

Expect it to not only bomb, but make a brutal mockery of the original.

The only good that may come from this is the possibility of a cash-in in the form of the unfairly-postponed DVD release of the Cyborg 009 TV series in its entirety...but then again, I doubt Hollywood will do such a sensible thing.
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the live action version of Lupin III, which, realistically, is the one with the highest potential of success considering the people working on it.

Last I heard was that the screenplay for the Lupin movie was completed.

The web address for the live-action Lupin movie web site, www.lupinthemovie.com, is registered by White-Light Entertainment, but there's no content on it yet.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Looks like someone beat them to the Cyborg 009 idea.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Kamen Rider would be nice, thanks.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
let me say this. if they ever even come NEAR 3X3 Eyes, even if theres a mention of it in the press, or if its after i stop being a fan and i see the commercial on TV, i will absolutely LOSE IT Evil or Very Mad .
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
AutoGyro wrote:
Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the live action version of Lupin III, which, realistically, is the one with the highest potential of success considering the people working on it.

They did make a live-action version....sorta.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1