• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twins Sent to Jail for Extorting from Akihabara Otaku

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
And he was studying law?

Wow. Idiots.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:02 am Reply with quote
These actions are typical of those going into fields of law and criminal justice - they know how to flaunt it to their advantage so they are usually capable of getting away with what us normal people would go to jail for.

I am sure that part of the scheme was the brother coming over and saying he was a lawyer and they were going to sue the Otaku for XXX damages, unless they paid right then and there.

Why people can get away with that in Japan is beyond me... Geez, if I could collect cash from people every time someone bumped into me I would be a millionaire... Heh, I'm big enough and intimidating enough too, all I would have to do is look at them with a bad attitude and they would probably fling their wallets at me and run away. But still, why is this scheme so darn popular in Japan?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
And he was studying law?

Wow. Idiots.

Yeah, that is scary. And they are idiots. He's ruined his life. He'll be lucky if he'll be able to say "Do you want fries with that?"

But, it does make me think - what were they like in High School? I have a feeling that this wasn't exactly something that they suddenly came up with one day (possible, but not likely). I'll bet, if you interviewed former classmates, you find out that they did similar things back then.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Can't believe it actually worked, what a bunch of goobs.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:31 am Reply with quote
And he was going to law school. C'mon, there's got to be something better to do in your spare time Rolling Eyes
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:33 am Reply with quote
Gee, this sounds like a really bad otakukin of Phoenix Wright; Ace Attorney.
GarBhaD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
What I don't really get is why people give in to such silly demands. Is there actually a law against bumping people? Rolling Eyes
LordRobin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quote
GarBhaD wrote:
What I don't really get is why people give in to such silly demands. Is there actually a law against bumping people? Rolling Eyes

It's the Japanese culture. Quick to embarrass, terrified of making a scene in public. I'd say the victims were really paying the money to make the two go away.

------RM
GTO Neko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
GarBhaD wrote:

It's the Japanese culture. Quick to embarrass, terrified of making a scene in public. I'd say the victims were really paying the money to make the two go away.

------RM

That's about the gist of it from what I can tell. There've always been people who do things like that in Japan and their culture usually does what it can to keep peace at almost any cost.
cl4y

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quote
How uncreative! Shame on them for taking advantage of people, but double shame on them for their complete lack of originality. They're twins! There's got to be some way to use that to one's advantage. Between that and having a higher-than-average understanding of the law, I'm sure you could pull off some really sick cons.

Criminal intent is wasted on the stupid.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
Well, I say that if the otaku of japan are that shy, timid, and nervous to fall for such a stupid thing, they deserved to get their money taken. Seriously, the otaku, and the people of japan, have to start growing a decent pair if people can get away with "crimes" like this. I live in New York, if only this shit worked here in America, I probably wouldn't have problems paying college tuition anymore.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:54 am Reply with quote
And I only thought this kind of thing only happened in anime. Wink
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
For some reason this reminds me of the most recent episode of Pushing Dasies w/ the twin funeral directors.

Why did the sister get less time if it was her idea?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The plan was hatched by the sister, who is currently still under probation for a hit-and-run accident that occurred earlier this year. She suggested the plan to her brother, who was studying to pursue a career in law himself. In his final statement before the court

Why is that the least surprising most underwelming statement of the year. It's good to know that Japan has its fair share of blood sucking, ambulance chasing, extortionists. Or at least the Japanese equivalent mindset.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
megumi's guy wrote:
And I only thought this kind of thing only happened in anime. Wink
So did I -- I guess it's a case of "art imitates life" if there's basis for it in reality. And the "extort timid rich otaku" idea has also come up in anime, though it takes some different forms than the classic *bump* -> You'd better apologize!! sequence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2