• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad DVD 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The pace and feel of the show have far more in common with independent films than, say your average magical idol singer show (or your average anime show period).

Yes, that right there is exactly why I f'n love this show.

It been a while since I watched vol 3, and vol 4 should be arriving tomorrow. More BECK, I can't wait.
chronium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Chiba's singing style just seems better suited to the English language

That is where I have to say you are completely wrong, Chiba rapping would have a been a lot better if the VA didn’t sound so awkward and slow. The Japanese singer is an actual rapper and you can hear the difference even though he is rapping in Japanese.
Nermal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah I prefer the Japanese rap as well. Typhoon 24!
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I love the integration of the ED song in the third DVD. I've always loved that song, and it makes sense that it would be a Dying Breed song.

I still stand by my opinion that Beck really borrows many conventions from sports anime. The school band competition reminded me of so many other sports anime especially the scene near the sinks after the event is done.

I'm also glad that they hired a couple of native English speakers for the band members of Dying Breed, since most of the English from the other characters is awkward at best.
WesW

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
I thought that volume three was where the show finally hit its stride. Most of the first 8 or so eps were, imo, wasted on the school drama with the bullies and such. I didn't feel that there was any need to build up sympathy for the lead in this manner. Once he finally joins the band, things get rolling and the series truly becomes about a rock band rather than a generic school drama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1