• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Only First 3 Episodes of Gurren Lagann to be Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Booo!
Taiyz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Well it makes sense considering the huge hit in animation quality most people consider episode 4 to take, plus it should be the last episode of the first disc so there must still be SOME reason to still buy it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cloud1989

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:57 pm Reply with quote
this ****ing sucks, and here I was all excited, oh well.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Three episodes is a perfect amount to introduce the series to new fans, especially with how Ep. 3 successfully wraps up introducing the plot of the series.

ADV's made a smart move by doing this. They're sure to have bunches of sales from it.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I hope episode 4 is redone for dvd release, does anyone know?
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I hope it works out for them. I personally wasn't able to get it working consistently enough sadly. When I actually had the time to watch it instead of playing around I wasn't able to.. Sad
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
As much as I can understand ADV's reasons for doing this I can't say I'm not disappointed. When ADV announced this I finally thought we had a solution to the problem of fansubs. People were now being presented with a legal way to watch anime like it is broadcast on TV in Japan with commercials (only online and through streaming). I was encouraging everyone I could to avoid the fansubs for this series and support ADV's new business model. But I guess this means the industry is still going to remain an almost DVD-exclusive market. I was all for embracing the change, but a lot of people are just going to use this as an excuse to download fansubs. I'm not going to do that (I'm buying this series when it comes out on DVD), but it won't stop other people. At least they did say some series would stream in their entirety, but it still doesn't eliminate the problem.
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
DonQuigleone wrote:

It's not. Why would it have been?
Onibaka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't that put off by ep 4. It just looked more like the art style from the interludes. Wouldn't want to see an entire season of it but not series ending.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
biolizard_alpha wrote:
DonQuigleone wrote:

It's not. Why would it have been?

Because Ep. 4 was a massive failure in animation.

If I remember correctly, there were reports that Gainax fixed the animation for the R2 release and that reportedly looks much better, so there shouldn't be worries..
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Anyone think they decided to change their "statement" once they saw how many views it got? Don't wanna give away for free what so many people "might possibly" buy. Oh well. I've seen it already, and I plan on buying it. And the subtitles on the second half were painfully off from the audio. Maybe they'll fix that in later tries.

PS> I just checked, and no, they didn't redo the episode. The DVD animation is the same as the broadcast animation.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
One of the most popular arguments in favor of fansubs is that it's unreasonable to expect people to drop money on a new series without being able to sample it to see if they like it. Well, you got your free taste. If you want more, it's time to pay up.

------RM
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Hehe, this is probably the point that we realize most of that argument was just there to justify the action and that actually providing for that justification won't actually change anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing is really dissapointing to me. I was very happy, and very proud to see ADV doing this.

Now it feels like we've taken a step backwards. In reality, we've just taken a smaller step forward than originally believed, but it's still dissapointing.

Obviously we're no where near where we ultimately need to be, and that's having the anime industry provide North American anime fans with complete alternatives to DVD.

One thing I can tell you about this "about face" on ADV's part in relation to GL, is that they really did want to present the entire series for free online. It just worked out that it wasn't feasible for them to do it in the end. It's a pity, but their intentions were there. Hopefully we'll get the full monty on another series soon enough.

-t
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:13 pm Reply with quote
1) ADV stil fail fantasticly, they should be punted back into the kitchen and told to make me KERORO PIE until thier effing explode and then make more.

2) ADV's TAN VOD sucks balls anyway so no one actauly saw the damn thing anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3