• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - The Princess Diaries

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
Huh... I have complicated feelings about Princess Knight. Was no one else as bothered by the implicit invalidation of feminine power and capability as I was? Confused

Edit: 1000th post, woo!
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
I was hoping Gate 7 would get a better review, as I've been looking forward to a new Clamp manga. Guess I'll wait for vol 2 and see if the plot picks up before starting the series. Just extra money I can put towards Christmas presents. Confused
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I kinda liked Tokyo Mew Mew, so I'm glad that Kodansha is re-releasing it. And besides, it makes perfect sense, since Mew Mew and Sailor Moon are so very much alike.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:09 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Huh... I have complicated feelings about Princess Knight. Was no one else as bothered by the implicit invalidation of feminine power and capability as I was? Confused

Ed Sizemore reviewed the first volume of Princess Knight and tackled this concern I had as well... that when her female heart is dominant suddenly she is weaker and suffers from Damsel-in-Distress syndrome. I'm quoting the specific section of his review below. I don't consider it spoilerific myself, but I'll put it behind spoilers just in case.
Ed Sizemore wrote:
spoiler[At first glance, it appears Tezuka is asserting traditional gender roles. In Sapphire, it seems only one heart may be active at a time. While her boy heart holds sway, she is one of the finest swordsmen in the country. If her girl heart takes control, she is barely able to defend herself. However, it’s all the same person, Sapphire.
Looking more closely, we discover that Sapphire is not responding to which heart is more dominant. Whether she realizes it or not, both hearts are equally active all the time. Instead, Sapphire is acting as the people around her perceive her. If she is seen as a boy, then she is able to be strong and fierce. If she is seen as a girl, then she is frail and submissive. Tezuka is critiquing the false dichotomy that society creates among male and female. Sapphire needs to learn to be true to herself and not let others dictate who she is or what she can do.]

When I looked at it from that point of view - that her weaknesses were not due to the fact that she was a girl but because she allowed others' perceptions of her affect her judgments and actions - it doesn't bother me so much.

Of course, this is only one interpretation, and I have yet to read the series myself to have any sort of opinion. I've just read up on many separate reviews and looked up summaries, and this was a concern I had during my research. Perhaps my opinion is now clouded, but I'd rather have a positive perception of the series than a negative one since I'm always looking for good series with a lead heroine (I'm a female fan who tends to prefer the female characters).

That one female coming-of-age Korean manhwa sounds really interesting! I'll have to add it to my list of series to buy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:

Ed Sizemore reviewed the first volume of Princess Knight and tackled this concern I had as well... that when her female heart is dominant suddenly she is weaker and suffers from Damsel-in-Distress syndrome. I'm quoting the specific section of his review below. I don't consider it spoilerific myself, but I'll put it behind spoilers just in case.
Ed Sizemore wrote:
spoiler[At first glance, it appears Tezuka is asserting traditional gender roles. In Sapphire, it seems only one heart may be active at a time. While her boy heart holds sway, she is one of the finest swordsmen in the country. If her girl heart takes control, she is barely able to defend herself. However, it’s all the same person, Sapphire.
Looking more closely, we discover that Sapphire is not responding to which heart is more dominant. Whether she realizes it or not, both hearts are equally active all the time. Instead, Sapphire is acting as the people around her perceive her. If she is seen as a boy, then she is able to be strong and fierce. If she is seen as a girl, then she is frail and submissive. Tezuka is critiquing the false dichotomy that society creates among male and female. Sapphire needs to learn to be true to herself and not let others dictate who she is or what she can do.]

When I looked at it from that point of view - that her weaknesses were not due to the fact that she was a girl but because she allowed others' perceptions of her affect her judgments and actions - it doesn't bother me so much.

Of course, this is only one interpretation, and I have yet to read the series myself to have any sort of opinion. I've just read up on many separate reviews and looked up summaries, and this was a concern I had during my research. Perhaps my opinion is now clouded, but I'd rather have a positive perception of the series than a negative one since I'm always looking for good series with a lead heroine (I'm a female fan who tends to prefer the female characters).

I wish that were the case, but the scene I was linking to actually takes place during a brief period of time when spoiler[her boy heart was removed from her entirely, suddenly making her weak and fearful] so it's not a matter of preconceived notions or one heart being "dominant" over the other - at least not in that specific case, which I chose to highlight because it most clearly illustrates the problem I had with Princess Knight.

And I totally know what you mean, I wanted so badly to like this series! I hate having to point out flaws like this, I don't get any enjoyment out of it either. But I do feel it's an important thing to know going into the series, if only so you won't be as disappointed as I was.
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
I was hoping Gate 7 would get a better review, as I've been looking forward to a new Clamp manga. Guess I'll wait for vol 2 and see if the plot picks up before starting the series. Just extra money I can put towards Christmas presents.

I've been keeping up with the scans, so I can tell you that it does get better. It's one of those series that probably requires at least 2 volumes before you can get a good feel it.

But yes, the first volume kind of suffers from a lack of focus and a bunch of floating plot threads and exposition. The second volume starts to draw things together and introduces the central villain of the series (so far, anyway). The main character's role in all of this is still kind of uncertain (he's more of a bystander than anything else), but I'm willing to trust CLAMP and assume that he'll get grow in importance as the series progresses.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:56 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I wish that were the case, but the scene I was linking to actually takes place during a brief period of time when spoiler[her boy heart was removed from her entirely, suddenly making her weak and fearful] so it's not a matter of preconceived notions or one heart being "dominant" over the other - at least not in that specific case, which I chose to highlight because it most clearly illustrates the problem I had with Princess Knight.

And I totally know what you mean, I wanted so badly to like this series! I hate having to point out flaws like this, I don't get any enjoyment out of it either. But I do feel it's an important thing to know going into the series, if only so you won't be as disappointed as I was.

There's also the issue of looking at it in the context of other Tezuka works which are decidedly lacking in strong female characters. There are a few here and there, but he was definitely a product of sexist times. When I first heard the "she has two hearts!" element, I groaned because I suspected it might mean something like this. I'll still check out the book, but ugh.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
The only reason I got Mew Mew was I wondering why 4Kids wanted the anime so much. But it's pretty damned weak.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
YOU'RE ON FIIIIIIIIIIIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:

Well that's horribly disappointing. Sad Damn. I'll still probably buy it just to support Vertical's release of it, but I'm nowhere near as enthusiastic as I was. Thanks for informing me though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:52 am Reply with quote
I've learned not to expect "girl power" from Osamu Tezuka's works. I chose not to read "Ayako," "Swallowing the Earth," or "The Book of Human Insects" because I strongly suspect they'll just make me wince with near misogynistic depictions of women. Not that *all* female characters in Tezuka manga are that bad, but when a character is told that "she isn't a women anymore" in Black Jack, or a character is willing to forgive-and perhaps even fall in love with-her rapist in another manga, well, that just lowers my expectations over all.

Still, I was very pleasantly surprised by a female Tezuka character in his boy's action classic, "Dororo," and from the review, "Princess Knight" seems to mirror some of the grand adventure feel that "Dororo" had. I think it deserves a chance. At least, as a children's manga, it probably won't have sexual assault to show how women are either "innocent" or "evil."

Rumiko Takahashi does creepy horror very, very well, but Rinne sounds like another long winded romcom, more Ranma than Mermaid Forest, so to speak.

I can't believe I just read a review of the "Color of Earth" series that didn't mention flowers! Color of Earth felt like a cheesy '50's sex ed film strip to me--did you know that young women blossom like flowers? And love is like flowers? And losing a lover is like wilting...you get the point. I just couldn't get past that to enjoy the manwha for what it was, but plenty of people loved it, so don't mind me! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1