• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Garden of Sinners (movie series).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote

(The) Garden of Sinners (movie series)

Genres: action, drama, horror, magic, psychological, romance, supernatural
Themes: gore, murder, mythology, school

Plot Summary: Mikiya Kokuto finds himself intrigued by two things. The first is by Shiki Ryougi a beautiful, yet rather unsociable, girl and the other is the strange series of violent deaths that start occuring in his town. As he attempts to get closer to Shiki, he soon learns that the two are connected and that there are many supernatural forces at work which could very likely get him killed as well.

----------------------------------

Kara no Kyoukai (The Garden of Sinners) is based on a novel series (as in a real paperback novel) from the peeps who later formed TYPE-MOON. Seven movies are planned with each movie based on one chapter of the novel, and interestingly enough, they're animated by ufotable. The first movie released on DVD deals with Chapter 1 of the novel where spoiler[there were mysterious suicides that are happening at Fujyou Building, and not to mention the appearances of ghosts around there. Somehow these events are related to the fact that the guy named Mikiya ended up in a deep trance. So it's pretty much up to Shiki Ryougi to figure out what the heck is going on.] It's a rather simple plot though it sort of caught me off-guard where it got philosophical on the concepts of flying and floating and their relations towards life and death. Thankfully it wasn't too pretentious like say GitS: Innocence.

Ahh, and there's Shiki Ryougi and if anyone who has seen Tsukihime, she has the same abilities as Shiki Tohno. spoiler[In addition, she has an artificial arm in which a woman named Tohko Aozaki makes for her (let's see if any Tsukihime fans can pick out why Tohko Aozaki sounds familiar to a certain extent Wink).] Shiki Ryougi is a far more hardcore badass chick especially during those battles she encountered. Man, when is the last time I heard Maaya Sakamoto in this type of role?

It was really interesting for ufotable to animated something that looks gorgeously brooding and melancholy especially since I've known them for doing crazy bishoujo comedy series. Of course being ufotable, their signature claymation segment was in the movie at the very beginning showing the audience to shut off your cellphones at the movie theater. Laughing

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Fri May 30, 2008 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Triple_Dude

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
Finally! I was wondering when someone would make a thread for Kara no Kyoukai!

It was artistically made, the first episode (although directed by some weird fellow that I've never heard of--and I looked him up on ANN, he's only got a few director's cred to him... Hmmm). Everything was reshuffled for the animation, in terms of chronology (spoiler[In the original novel, Mikiya's trance isn't the focal part, and in fact, only occurs for a very brief period while Shiki goes dealing with the ghosts... Well, I'm not too sure, been a while since I read it Laughing.]).

I honestly wanted to love it, I've been looking forward to it for about a year or so, now... Buuut, after seeing it, it left me with a "huh?" taste. I'm a big fan of Type-Moon/Kinoko Nasu's work, but this adaptation hasn't totally wowed me--yet. I'm still willing to give it a chance, it's still early Wink. Episode 2 looks wicked, from the preview. But hey, at least the music is awesome!

I hope they really flesh out the characters in the later episodes, and explain a lot more than what the first episode have done so far (In terms of actual content from the original, I'd say the first ep only used less than 50%... which leaves people confused, IMO... On the other hand, I showed it to my friend who's a first timer to the Kara no Kyoukai universe and apparently he "LOVED IT!"...).

I'm not sure if this is spoiler, but I'll just tag it just in case:
spoiler[All of Type-Moon's games/story, including Kara no Kyoukai, takes place in the same "world". That means Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night and Kara no Kyoukai shares the same universe, and Aozaki Touko is also mentioned in Fate/Stay Night as a "puppet maker", whereas her sister Aozaki Aoko... Which reminds me, typo on your part, it's Aoko, not Aoki Wink]

Another thing is that Kara no Kyoukai's movie adaptation will be using the same quirky chronology that the original did; namely, the lack of chronological order in the chapters. Kinoko Nasu originally wanted to re-write the story so that it'd be in chronological order, but I believe Masaki Hiramatsu wanted to present it in its original form. I don't really care either way, as long as they do it properly Wink.

Speaking of which, I'm going to re-watch it for like the 4th time now... *whistles*

I think this is one of those anime that you're going to have to watch more than once to catch all the subtleties.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm still a little confused on exactly what was going on with the building and the suicides, but it was still quite impressive. That spoiler[fight scene on the roof] in particular. And the music was equally amazing. I love the theme song, oblivious.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I thouroughly enjoyed the first of the movies as well. Although, I'm also thoughly cofused about what was going on with spoiler[Astral-projection lady and why she killed all those girls] but the superb fight scene and Shiki's awesome skills made up for that. Also I love the design they used for her mystic eyes.

Quote:
Of course being ufotable, their signature claymation segment was in the movie at the very beginning showing the audience to shut off your cellphones at the movie theater.

Yes ALWAYS switch off your cell phone you never know if your date spoiler[has a temper and can see your lines.] Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Bah. How's that product placement going to help sell Volvic? It doesn't even have any talking volcanos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote
This is the anime series I have most been looking forward to.

Did the fansubs just start to release or something? Because I think the show has been out for half a year already or something, if I'm not mistaken. I went to look for fansubs of this show a couple months ago but there were none.

edit: I just checked and I was mistaken, no wonder. The DVD episodes are just coming out now in Japan, they had just been shown in theaters half a year ago.

I'll probably wait before downloading this until all 4 episodes come out, I'm patient and that's the way I like to approach fansubs, that way I can see who finishes the series and who doesn't, and who does the best job irregardless of release speed.

I hope this series releases over here in America. I'd certainly buy it, since it'd be a single-volume 4-episode release and there'd be no threat of cancellation. Same goes for Tales of Symphonia, another recent ufotable show and in my opinion the best anime of 2007 by far.

PS - how can you tell that Shiki is eating ice cream, much less Haagen-Dazs ice cream, in that pic? I can't make out any details other than the fact that she is holding something. Is it just my eyes? Also no offense but she doesn't look that amazing to me in that pic, just an ordinary female in a shirt. -_-;
Clodus

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
Just saw episode 1. Visuals are superb and the attention to detail on the spoiler[suicide corpses] was a wow dam! Its like seeing a high res wallpaper throughout the entire series. Episode 1 was for the most part slow paced except for the badass fight scene on the roof. It was only for a brief moment but I did catch the spoiler["death lines" from Tsukihime but the abilities slightly varies where as in Tsukihime, their existence is completely wiped out.] I'm slightly confused with the whole philosophical flying and falling but never the less, it was very enjoyable. It left me with a feeling of wanting to know more about their past and how their relationship came to be. Episode 2 looks like its gonna explain that and most probably how spoiler[Shiki lost her real arm. ]
Porcupine wrote:
PS - how can you tell that Shiki is eating ice cream, much less Haagen-Dazs ice cream, in that pic? I can't make out any details other than the fact that she is holding something. Is it just my eyes? Also no offense but she doesn't look that amazing to me in that pic, just an ordinary female in a shirt. -_-;

They mention it in the episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
It was only for a brief moment but I did catch the spoiler["death lines" from Tsukihime but the abilities slightly varies where as in Tsukihime, their existence is completely wiped out.]

I think that's just because spoiler[they were not physical bodies. If she did that to a human being or an object, I'm sure it would fall to pieces just like in Tsukihime]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
This is the anime series I have most been looking forward to.

Did the fansubs just start to release or something? Because I think the show has been out for half a year already or something, if I'm not mistaken. I went to look for fansubs of this show a couple months ago but there were none.

edit: I just checked and I was mistaken, no wonder. The DVD episodes are just coming out now in Japan, they had just been shown in theaters half a year ago.

I'll probably wait before downloading this until all 4 episodes come out, I'm patient and that's the way I like to approach fansubs, that way I can see who finishes the series and who doesn't, and who does the best job irregardless of release speed.

I hope this series releases over here in America. I'd certainly buy it, since it'd be a single-volume 4-episode release and there'd be no threat of cancellation. Same goes for Tales of Symphonia, another recent ufotable show and in my opinion the best anime of 2007 by far.

The movies are actually a 7 part series of films. The first DVD, which is the only real way to make a good quality fansub out of a theatrical film, containing the first film, Garden of Sinners: Overlooking View only just released which is why it took so long as you gathered. If you do decide to wait you'll be waiting for quite a long time and truthfully it's not really neccessary as each film is a different chaper and fairly stand alone. I don't think it has chance of being liscensed here now that Geneon is down and out, they were the only ones who went for Type/Moon stuff, though that would be awesome. The movies are 50 minutes long I don't think they'd put 4 of them on a disc. They'd most likely would release one per disc in standard movie format.

Oh and the Hagen Daz thing: There's better views of it in the movie where you can see the label better and it's specifically talked about in a conversation in the series.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh I see. Thanks for all the info Kruszer. I guess it is a way bigger project than I realized. That pretty much makes Kara no Kyokai the equivalent of a 14+ episode TV series, except probably done with better animation quality and a faster-paced directorial style as is typical for movies or OVAs.

It does seem like it would make for an awkward release format, I don't think many people here would want to buy seven 50-minute DVDs plus Geneon USA is down. Oh well. It's still a new series coming out in Japan so any R1 release would naturally be 2-3 years down the road anyway, who knows what the R1 market will be like then. Maybe things could be sorted out by then.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
Chapter 1 uses alot of metaphors dealing with life/death/flying/courage so I was a bit confused at first but after a second viewing, things are much more clearer but still a bit hazy. Speculation about episode 1 spoiler[Mikiya mentioned he had a dream after the coma about a dragonfly flying energetically and a butterfly trying to follow him. He also vaguely mentioned he think he was the dragonfly which would make the bedridden girl Kirie the butterfly. If you look carefully at the first corpse in the beginning, you can see the blood forming the wings of a butterfly. Mikiya also said if the butterfly wasn't trying to fly but was floating instead, it could have stayed in air longer. Anyways I think that it means that if Kirie would just have been content with living in the hospital and looking at the outside scenery instead of trying to go out there and experience talking to the girls herself, she would have lived longer. Instead the girl wanted to try it and the "butterfly ran out of steam and landed on the ground." Or perhaps it was a continual struggle for courage over time to keep living a painful life vs dying]
I would like to see it from anothers view so if anyone has a different perspective, I would very much like to hear it. Theres one thing I still don't understand. What Kirie and Shiki said spoiler[after the climatic finishing blow. Kirie:"a bone huh?" Shiki:"no, a lily."]

I think if anybody would license this, it would be ADV since Funi has their hands full atm. I can also see them doing it. Who knows, if the reception is well in Japan, we might get lucky. It'd be nice to get Mnemosyne over here as well since they are both similar in format but kara no Kyoukai obviously has better animation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
The second movie is titled "Murder Speculation (First Half)" which is based on Chapter 2 of the novel, and it's actually better paced. And I seriously give props to ufotable; the animation, the backgrounds, and cinematography give off one heck of a gritty environment, and they really know how to up the creepy factor.

spoiler[Chronologically, this movie takes place before the first one as it deals with Mikiya first meeting with Shiki. There's also string of murders that's been occurring in which Mikiya suspected her. But of course he didn't want to turn her in even though it was painfully obvious. He believes there's a good side in her as his day in the mall with her proved. It's also revealed that Shiki does have a split personality within her.]

On another note, spoiler[has anyone find it amusing for Mikiya humming the old classic "Singin' in the Rain"? ]Laughing

And as for the ufotable's claymation segment, don't record stuff in the movie theaters! Surprised
Ultenth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious about this show, but just so I know what I'm getting into, how violent is it? I've seen it listed as supernatural as well as thriller, but I'm just wondering what it compares to in regards to any horror/violence elements. I'm not a big fan of guro, like Higurashi, so I wanted to find out before I decide to look into it more or not.

Thanks!
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
It's got some pretty deatailed nasty looking corpses but I wouldn't say it's all that gory since the scenes are pretty brief. It's about on par with what you'd see in Type/Moon's other two works, (Lunar Legend Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night) only a little worse since these are movies and they can get away with more things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5