• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kyoran Kazoku Nikki.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Kyoran Kazoku Nikki is, to put it mildly, a weird show. You've probably seen many of the elements used before in other anime series, but probably not combined together like this. The antics of the characters are somewhat like that of Excel Saga or Pani Poni Dash. The dynamic between the main characters, Kyoka and Ouka, and their "family" is somewhat reminiscent of Kyon and Haruhi and the SOS-Brigade. And the tone of the show can switch from zany to dead serious or vice versa with frightening speed, like Kodocha.

One day, Ouka encounters a shoplifting catgirl (trailed by a score of police officers whom she subdues with her "cellphone" [read: psychic power]) who refers to herself as a god. Once she finds Ouka works for the office of paranormal phenomena, she demands to be taken to his superiors. Once there, Ouka discovers that he will be married to Kyoka, the catgirl, and will adopt a number of other beings known as "Children of Enka" in order to teach them love and kindness, because otherwise one of them might destroy the world. Ouka and Kyoka's "children" include: a talking lion, a biological weapon (that looks a like a robot version of Predator), a jellyfish, a flamboyantly gay young man, and a little girl. spoiler[A couple more episodes in, they take in another girl who is a completely normal human and not a "Child of Enka".]

The cast of characters is varied and, although generally they come across as parodies of common (or uncommon) archetypes, they do sometimes display a greated depth. Ouka, the "father", is a no-nonsense everyman. He's reliable and kind, but lacks the capacity to truly love anyone. In most cases, he would be a fairly uninteresting character, except that in this situation, a person with his kind of attitude is needed to stand up to Kyoka's selfish and often childish actions. Kyoka often seems like a typical (albeit 20-year old) catgirl: hyperactive, arrogant, and silly; but her regular boasts of omnipotence and omniscience are not entirely empty, as she actually is one of the smartest characters in the show, and she'd probably give most shonen heroes a run for their money in a one-on-one fight. What's more, she genuinely cares for Ouka, and not in the cliche manner of a tsundere. She lavishes him with playful attention and lashes out at him only when she feels slighted. She does have the trait of being an dangerously horrible cook, but it only pops up every couple of episodes.
Teika is the talking lion, last of the Bister Kings, a noble and honorable character who is especially fond of Yuka (the little girl), but at times he seems like more of an unusual pet. Hyoka is a three-year old intelligent weapon of destruction. His words and actions imply something of a childish innocence, despite his creators' attempt to make a heartless killing machine. Gekka is a (female) jellyfish who loves sushi. A lot. spoiler[She also is apparently thousands of years old, a beautiful human princess, and more powerful than Kyoka, but nobody else knows that, because she erased their memory after saving everyone in the one episode.] Yuka is, apparently, a normal girl, with the exception of being able to eat Kyoka's cooking without adverse effects. She is the first character whose life before becoming a Midarezaki we learn about. Ginka is a flamboyantly gay young man, but occasionally, when necessary, displays an appearance like that of a knight in shining armor so dashing that one character makes it her goal to turn him straight (and marry him, one would assume). spoiler[The sixth child, Chika, is Yuka's biological older sister, who had tried to bring Yuka back to her old, abusive family, because otherwise she would have become the target of abuse. Kyoka, however, takes pity on Chika and alters the brain of a member of the paranormal phenomena bureau to allow Chika to join the family.]

The episodes mostly focus on the absurd situations that the various family members get into (usually the result of Kyoka wanting to do something fun), like one episode where a travel agent uses black magic in an effort to sell Kyoka a honeymoon package, going on a treasure hunt with the least pirate-like pirate captain ever, or Kyoka temporarily becoming a magical girl using a wand that inflicts pain based on how much someone loves the intended victim. Sometimes the episode introduces and centers on brand new characters, with the Midarezaki's playing only supporting roles: for instance, a pair of Chinese assassins who abandon their trade to open a resteraunt, or a boy who finds a cat that turns into a girl. The series does attempt more dramatic stories at times and, considering the nature of the series, does it shockingly well. spoiler[The series stuns the viewer when it becomes apparent that there is no joke involved in the abuse of Yuka at the end of the second episode, despite the show being so heavily humor driven up to that point.] At another point, an element that is being played for some small laughs with obvious room for more in one episode ends with a devastating twist; spoiler[I refer to Hyoka's first love, when near the end of the episode it was revealed he was tricked into killing the girl's older sister.]

Kyoran Kazoku Nikki works because it acts like it is going to take the expected route (as much as crazy anime comedy can be considered to have an expected route), but swerves wildly in a different direction. It's probably not a good show for a newcomer, but it's worth a look for someone who's been into anime for a while and wants a change of pace.
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Funny. I just started watching this yesterday with my friend and thought it was an excellent show to give some giggles in after some high story driven animes. You are right as well. Taken what you have said, its the kind of anime like Excel Saga or Pani Poni Dash, which brings back those feeling of happiness where ridiculousness is a good thing.
I like the opening and ending for Kyoran Kazou Nikki, its hilarious and random, which also is sign that this anime will be a lot of fun.
Hopefully, I get to see it end well.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
G-mofactor wrote:
I like the opening and ending for Kyoran Kazou Nikki, its hilarious and random, which also is sign that this anime will be a lot of fun.
Hopefully, I get to see it end well.

There are seven other endings, one for each member of the family. I think I like Kyoka's the most, but they're all good and appropriate for their character.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I actually started watching this show just because I saw all the EDs on youtube, and liked most of them (which is a terrible reason to start watching a show).

Honestly, I thought some of the early episodes were really bad, but as of episode 11, it's gotten a lot better. It does a surprisingly good job of mixing funny with serious, even if the funny often misses the mark...
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
This show is tied as one of my favorites of the spring season leftovers right now (along with Chiko). I haven't caught up completely, so I'll be able to make better comments after I catch up this weekend.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Ouka, the "father", is a no-nonsense everyman. He's reliable and kind, but lacks the capacity to truly love anyone.

This last part about his character intrigues me. I think the main reason why I love Ouka so much is because I want to see him change the most. All the others in the family are so... strange that I feel Ouka will be the hardest to develop. But right now I think he's hilarious as the "no-nonsense everyman."

As for Kyouka, after watching the first episode, I really didn't like her because I thought she'd turn out to be some generic character. Boy, was I wrong! Kyouka is one of the best characters this show has to offer, if not *the* best. Like D_A said, she's pretty much everything – from crazy/selfish/immature to caring/mature/motherly. So dynamic.

Quote:
spoiler[The sixth child, Chika, is Yuka's biological older sister, who had tried to bring Yuka back to her old, abusive family, because otherwise she would have become the target of abuse. Kyoka, however, takes pity on Chika and alters the brain of a member of the paranormal phenomena bureau to allow Chika to join the family.]

After this episode, spoiler[Chika became one of my favorite characters, not that I can easily rank them or anything, but it was just so heartwarming what Kyouka did for her. Not only did she save Chika from her horrible former family, but she also cheated to allow Chika to join her mixed-up yet lovable family as well as reunite her with her sister, Yuka, and childhood love, Ginka. I think she's become a great part of the team so far.]

Quote:
The series does attempt more dramatic stories at times and, considering the nature of the series, does it shockingly well. [...] At another point, an element that is being played for some small laughs with obvious room for more in one episode ends with a devastating twist...

It really is a nice change of pace for someone like me. What I love best is the fact that they do the dramatic scenes so well while mixing in humor that's actually funny. Anyway, it's just a great series to discuss and I'm glad a thread was made for it. I would've if I hadn't started the thing so late and got caught up with my other threads.

Oh, I also love the OP theme song, too. MOSAIC.WAV never seems to disappoint me. My favorite ED theme is Hyouka's, but I still like them all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
I just watched episode 18 earlier today. Good times. Very good times. Gekka looked hilarious in an apron and maid bonnet. And then later wearing a hat to protect her from the cold. Chika punishing Ginka for un-masculine behavior (and I think he liked it?).

And, ah, poor Kyouka, wanting desperately to nurse Ouka back to health, but having not the slightest clue how to do so. She means well, even if that does require her to temporarily stopping her beloved's heart.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Santa Claus is badass.

Also, I think that episode has one of the more unsettling images I've seen in anime. You know, when they're showing sleeping children in horrible living conditions with a neatly wrapped gift next to them. spoiler[I'm sure the kid holding an AK-47 while he sleeps is hoping he gets a cuddly little toy for Christmas.]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I didn't notice it, but it wouldn't surprise me if KKN did that. I really love how the series mixes bizarre and outright insane comedy with some really dark and disturbing stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1