• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re "Funimation to Expand Anime Streaming Outside N. America"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
ref "Funimation to Expand Anime Streaming Outside N. America"

I missed this article since it wasn't in the UK news here or reported on any of the other UK-specific site that I'm aware of.

FUNimation updated their site yesterday as it happens, and naturally, there is no change (I still can't even access the site without filling out a CAPTCHA!). They've been vague assurances of possibly eventually allowing access to more regions since at least the beta of the current site and I'm yet to see any signs of anything actually happening.

The last FUNimation simulcasts we could watch directly in the UK was around 2011, with shows like C3, Aria and Freezing available through YouTube. From the season with Haganai they stopped putting simulcasts on YouTube for a while and since then most videos have been locked to North America regardless of what rights they own for them (IIRC Haganai was later added unlocked, but Haganai S2 was locked).

UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa are the regions usually included in their licenses (i.e. their unlocked YouTube videos commonly have the regions set to "AU,CA,GB,IE,NZ,US,ZA", with some variations). They sub-license to Manga in the UK/IE and Madman in AU/NZ. I have no idea what they do with South Africa.

Since Madman has their Animelab service now though (and indeed have recently announced a slew of FUNimation licenses they are streaming), AU and NZ probably wouldn't be included in anything FUNimation does.

Manga UK doesn't have a streaming service. The one show they tried streaming themselves was FMA:B but they missed an episode and never actually finished it. A few of their titles are on Netflix and others are available DTO on iTunes etc. For one season recently we had some FUNimation-licensed titles simulcast here on Animax UK. It hasn't happened again since so we got to watch the first season of Wixoss, but not the second...

Agent355 wrote:
They already seem to have exclusive rights to some countries that they can't stream to. Funimation streams a whole bunch of shows that Crunchyroll streams outside the US--*except* for native English speaking countries. It's suspicious, and there is speculation that Funi actually has English streaming exclusive rights. Now they'll be able to actually stream them overseas.

Oh, they certainly do (and I have had specific confirmation in some cases; IIRC Sophie confirmed to me once that they had Strike Witches 2 for the UK). I've been working on a spreadsheet for the UK/AU although it is woefully incomplete (and largely informed speculation of course): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F8_e4YMr29zRYXiRnZpc9HYoGO_sqLdFCPsxvAm1bn4/edit#gid=0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1