• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: First Look at Nobuhiro Watsuki Game Designs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:06 am Reply with quote
So which one is Saito? Very Happy I'm guessing he's the second to the last character profile shown, the one without a photo in it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Omega13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Saitou is the first person on the third page. I checked the kanji in the name, which match up, after remembering that in Rurouni Kenshin, Saitou mentions that he uses the character 'ichi' for 'Hajime' (and I had no reason to think that Nobuhiro Watsuki wouldn't have done the necessary research to make sure it was an historically accurate statement).
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't look like a very good game. I guess maybe it's just not my type of game.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Just did a Properties check on all the images. Saitou is indeed the first one on the third page. As for the others...

First Page
Souji Okita (Captain, First Troop)
Toshizo Hijikata (Shinsengumi Vice-Captain)

Second Page
Isami Kondou (Shinsengumi Captain)
Shinpachi Nagakura (Captain, Second Troop)

Third Page
Hajime Saitou (Captain, Third Troop)
Heisuke Toudou (Captain, Eighth Troop)
Sanosuke Harada (Captain, Tenth Troop)

The one question I have, is that why are they all wearing black & red, as opposed to the blue & white that the Shinsengumi are often depicted in?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
The one question I have, is that why are they all wearing black & red, as opposed to the blue & white that the Shinsengumi are often depicted in?

Not sure, but the outfits seem to have been designed by Red Entertainment, notice that Nobuhiro Waduki's drawings show some of them with blue collars (or collars that are different from the black uniforms).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KiraYamatoX06

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:43 pm Reply with quote
It appears the company that made the game did change the outfits. I am glad Saitou looks good. Saitou is my favorite member of the Shinsengumi due to how he was portrayed in Rurouni Kenshin.
renkinjutsushi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I spent twenty minutes looking up the kanji so I could identify everyone, and it turned out they were all named in the picture filenames. x.x

Does anyone else find the trenchcoat/haori hybrids to be the funniest thing ever? Or is it just me?

Now all we need is a Burai anime. Anime hyper
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:25 pm Reply with quote
renkinjutsushi wrote:
I spent twenty minutes looking up the kanji so I could identify everyone, and it turned out they were all named in the picture filenames. x.x

Does anyone else find the trenchcoat/haori hybrids to be the funniest thing ever? Or is it just me?

Now all we need is a Burai anime. Anime hyper

It's not even the funniest thing I've seen in the last 15 minutes, let alone ever.

So...it's just you.
renkinjutsushi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:30 pm Reply with quote
sinistertaco wrote:

It's not even the funniest thing I've seen in the last 15 minutes, let alone ever.

Hyperbole man, hyperbole.

Cheez whiz, now I remember why I don't hang around these boards. o.Ox; I never did quite get a handle on the sense of humor.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:13 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

If I recal, the actual color of the Shinsengumi is uncertain, only the style is known. The word used for the name of the color can mean either the blue you're used to seeing, or a sort of creamy white. Exact same reading, only one kanji difference (of three kanji in each name, if I recall). So, some illustrators use the white color, though it's more common to see the blue.

I appreciate that Watsuki did a different design of Saitou for the game. It's a bit more realistic than the way he was rendered in RuroKen.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
Is it me, or do the graphics on that game look like Tenchu 1..? You know, from Playstation one? Not to knock the fine character designs, though.. Anime smile very cool/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1