• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Goo Poll: Which 90s Shōjo Manga to Remake as Live-Action

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Japanese portal site Cobs Online conducted a similar poll, asking users which manga should not be made into live-action films. One Piece received a majority of votes in that poll.

Agreed
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
marmalade boy sounds cool Cool
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Ai Yazawa!!!

I miss her, and hope she regains her health soon.

But what's the deal with her most popular works being unavailable in English?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
A live-action Marmalade Boy sounds good.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
marmalade boy sounds cool Cool

Ah, such soap opera! Laughing
Redlinks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I would actually watch all of these if they became a live-action. I've enjoyed all of these shoujo series.
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Not surprised to see two Ai Yazawa series at the top of the list, nor Marmalade Boy, which is the quintessential 90s shojo series, in my opinion. It's kind of surprising that Marmalade Boy never got a Japanese live-action series, actually, considering it got one in Taiwan. The biggest pleasant surprise on this list is Kodocha - I would have loved to see a great drama series of it (or really, just more of it in general) because it's my favorite series. I wasn't expecting it to make the list since it's not as talked about nowadays as, say, Fruits Basket.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:51 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Ai Yazawa!!!

I miss her, and hope she regains her health soon.

But what's the deal with her most popular works being unavailable in English?

Her most popular and, IMHO, her best.
The Goron Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:37 am Reply with quote
I just cannot see Cardcaptor Sakura being made into a live-action drama or whatnot.

Like I know fantasy dramas are certainly possible, but... I just can't see it.
BluWacky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
CCS and Please Save My Earth live action would be odd. I wouldn't like to see PSME on a dorama budget; the Moon scenes would be on wobbly Doctor Who sets, I'm sure.

Now a PSME full length TV anime would be the stuff of my wildest dreams. And obviously it would be a huge hit so they'd have to move onto The Moonlight That Surrounds Me, too.

Obviously.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
The Goron Marshall wrote:
I just cannot see Cardcaptor Sakura being made into a live-action drama or whatnot.

Like I know fantasy dramas are certainly possible, but... I just can't see it.

No girls can be that moe. And those costumes won't look good worn for reals. Laughing
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
If they give up before even trying then sure everything sounds impossible. As far as I can see Japanese are pretty into tokusatsu and 'cuteness' is in the eye of the beholder.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
If they give up before even trying then sure everything sounds impossible.

You have a point there. That's why they should give anime-turned-Hollywood-liveaction films a chance before they decide that it's impossible.

ArsenicSteel wrote:

As far as I can see Japanese are pretty into tokusatsu and 'cuteness' is in the eye of the beholder.

What real girls can be as moe as anime moe? A reason anime fans turn into 2D is because 3D can't hold a candle to 2D in some aspects like moe. So yeah, in the eye of the anime-holder, it won't look right. Laughing
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You have a point there. That's why they should give anime-turned-Hollywood-liveaction films a chance before they decide that it's impossible.

Apples and oranges. They as in Hollywood are not the same they that do anime Live-action shows in Asia. The they in Asia have a history of sticking as close as possible to the source material in order to sastify existing fans. Hollywood on the other hand has a history of changing the source material in order to try and attract people who don't even know the source exists.

Quote:
What real girls can be as moe as anime moe?

I don't know what that has to do with Live Action remakes. I have never seen any poll or fan outcry that since actresses can't be as moe as anime girls they shouldn't do try.

Quote:

A reason anime fans turn into 2D is because 3D can't hold a candle to 2D in some aspects like moe. So yeah, in the eye of the anime-holder, it won't look right.

That might be a reason for a group but there are groups that your claim does not apply to, the poll shows there are fans that want it. I counter your presumptuous and baseless "It won't look right" with an equally factless opinion, "It will look right".
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:19 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

Apples and oranges. They as in Hollywood are not the same they that do anime Live-action shows in Asia. The they in Asia have a history of sticking as close as possible to the source material in order to sastify existing fans. Hollywood on the other hand has a history of changing the source material in order to try and attract people who don't even know the source exists.

It's not apples and oranges. All you said was that it's impossible unless they try. Remember, Hollywood hasn't been trying anime-liveaction till recently and yet still not that much. Took them 2 decades to get 80's cartoons and even longer for fantasy films. So it's not impossible.

ArsenicSteel wrote:

Quote:
What real girls can be as moe as anime moe?

I don't know what that has to do with Live Action remakes. I have never seen any poll or fan outcry that since actresses can't be as moe as anime girls they shouldn't do try.

Oh, I hear that in our anime club all the time! Nobody could live up to their expectations. Laughing

ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

A reason anime fans turn into 2D is because 3D can't hold a candle to 2D in some aspects like moe. So yeah, in the eye of the anime-holder, it won't look right.

That might be a reason for a group but there are groups that your claim does not apply to, the poll shows there are fans that want it. I counter your presumptuous and baseless "It won't look right" with an equally factless opinion, "It will look right".

It's not baseless. (You sure have a habit of automatically calling baseless that's not agreeing with you, like that Xbox 360 modding thing, until it was shown to you how it is.) You yourself just said it's a reason for a group of people - and that group of people are those who turned to 2D because 3D can't hold a candle to 2D. I never said that claim applies to everyone, and let me be clear that it doesn't apply to every anime fan. But it does apply to those anime fans (some of whom exists in our anime club). And if the liveaction film is trying to stick as close as possible to the source material in order to satisfy existing fans, as you say, then those fans are a big part that film is trying to appeal to. Don't automatically assume claims are baseless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2