• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking: February 20-26

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryne11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:56 am Reply with quote
Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but are P4's sales what one would call good? Numbers for DVDs are not my forte
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:16 am Reply with quote
Yes, pretty good.
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
All of the numbers you see in this list would be considered "good" at the very least. And P4's numbers go above and beyond that.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
ryne11 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but are P4's sales what one would call good? Numbers for DVDs are not my forte
Generally, two to three thousand is what qualifies as 'good' for most anime volumes.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I expected Haganai to sell a bit more than volume 1 due to the nude scenes. Those always bolster sales.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see such a strong debut for Heaven's Lost Property. Hoping to see sales stay strong.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
ryne11 wrote:
Generally, two to three thousand is what qualifies as 'good' for most anime volumes.

That's not really "good". 3,000 is just what is generally believed to be the break even mark for an average show. A high budget show would presumably require more. I would call 2-3k "okay". Not exactly good, but not complete failure either.

RyanSaotome wrote:
I expected Haganai to sell a bit more than week 1 due to the nude scenes. Those always bolster sales.

There is usually a volume to volume dropoff unless there's something really special in a volume, like an OVA episode or an event ticket. Haganai #2 actually sold slightly *more* in the first week than the first volume did. Whether that was due to the nudity or something else, who knows.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, Gunbuster! Laughing
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
3,000 is just what is generally believed to be the break even mark for an average show. A high budget show would presumably require more. I would call 2-3k "okay". Not exactly good, but not complete failure either.

Are you saying 3,000 total? Surely the discs continue to sell after the first week, so if they sell 3,000 in one week that means they made all their money back in one week and then it is gravy. If they sell 1,000 the first week, they might sell 3,000 within a month (even after falling off the list). That means everything they sell in the second month and thereafter is pure profit.

Yes? Question
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
3,000 is just what is generally believed to be the break even mark for an average show. A high budget show would presumably require more. I would call 2-3k "okay". Not exactly good, but not complete failure either.

Are you saying 3,000 total? Surely the discs continue to sell after the first week, so if they sell 3,000 in one week that means they made all their money back in one week and then it is gravy. If they sell 1,000 the first week, they might sell 3,000 within a month (even after falling off the list). That means everything they sell in the second month and thereafter is pure profit.

With anime, it seems like first-week sales comprise 80-90% of total sales. Otaku, who would buy, would buy it ASAP.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
LaFreccia wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Yes? Question

No, not really.

Anime releases get most of their sales in the first week. The only shows that sell significant amounts in subsequent weeks are the ones that sold huge amounts in their first week. Even then, the drop off is usually about 90%. A show that sells 10k in its first week might sell another 1000 in its second week then a few hundred after that and will probably not rank again. Shows typically have to massive sellers to rank more than about 3 weeks.

If a show sells 1000 in the first week, its not going to sell an additional 2,000 more over the next month, its going to sell another 100-200, possibly a lot less.With a very few exceptions, anime sells virtually nothing after the first few weeks.

Now, no one outside of the companies actually knows what the break even number is for any given show. And the numbers reported aren't the actual total, just the reported total; like with the reporting systems for U.S. movies and books, not every single store is tallied. Furthermore, some stores will have purchased stock that may not get sold for a long time but money still went up the chain when they purchased them.

Apparently someone in Japan must have said something a while back to indicate that selling 3000 in those reported numbers is roughly what is needed to break even. That said, its quite possible that the move to HD and BD has caused that number to increase.

But anyway, no, if a show only sells 1000 copies in its first week, its definitely not going to hit 3k a month later. And whatever the actual break even number is, it seems pretty safe to say it has to be somewhere above 2000, so 1000 in a first week is going to be a failure.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Just finished Gunbuster. Glad to be one of the 13k with it. I can live without the subtitles.

Ya from my experience next week sales usually taper to 10-20% of the initial week. These guys know whats up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1