• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Adds Working!! Restaurant Comedy Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
Awesome! Glad to see this title get licensed. Although I have to wonder why they chose to go with Wagnaria instead of Working?
The Count

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
This was a surprisingly fun little show. And since I've always worked in customer service it was a bit therapeutic to sit back and watch. Now assuming the transfer isn't complete shit, and my disc don't come to me looking like someone was skating on asphalt with it, then I will pick this up.

Come on NIS, I know your new to the game and I want to support you but you have to step it up a bit.
feitian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:57 am Reply with quote
Nice, been waiting for this. :3

On the chans some were speculating that there are TV series in the state already have the name, might be a trademark confusion issue.

Although personally it might just have to do with the name itself, since when I first saw the screens on komica, its literally impossible to find information on the series by using the search term "working!!" or even "working !! anime/manga" and like.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
I don't know why they decided on the title change, however it was an okay show to watch. Not sure if I wanna buy it though.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
This show was not as great as I hoped it would be before I watched it. I will not be buying this. Still, I know a lot of people who are fans of this so I am happy it got picked up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
I have not bought a single NIS show yet simply because they don't stream the shows anywhere so I could sample an episode or two. Since my computer is also used for my work, I don't download fansubs.

NIS is the only company that does not seem to have an outlet for me to view a sample stream. I can't afford to buy shows anymore just by reputation. I need at least a sample or a comprehensive trailer of some sort in order to get an idea of what I am buying.

If anyone knows a place where I can legally view such content I would really appreciate it. NIS prices are a bit steep for sub-only. So I would like to have an idea of what I am paying all the $$ for ahead of time.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
feitian wrote:
Although personally it might just have to do with the name itself, since when I first saw the screens on komica, its literally impossible to find information on the series by using the search term "working!!" or even "working !! anime/manga" and like.

Yeah, I'll bet anything it has to do with the exposure of the title on Google, since "Working!!" turns up nothing there on the first page.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
Also, there was a short-lived sitcom starring Fred Savage called Working that I believe aired on NBC about a decade ago, if I remember correctly, so the name change could be to avoid confusion with that show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
The title Wagnaria seems confusing to me, but at least this anime is licensed for the N.A. DVD release. I may want to get this when it comes out.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
The title Wagnaria seems confusing to me, but at least this anime is licensed for the N.A. DVD release. I may want to get this when it comes out.

it's the name of the restaurant the characters work at.

funny , underrated show.GG NIS. one of the better animes of recent times. underrated like crazy
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
This show had some funny characters, but they just focused on the girl who punches dudes too much. I dropped it in the middle.

Glad to see NIS licensing titles though. I was worried they would just take a peak, release two or three titles and then decide to leave. Although I'm not interested, I'm sure there's Someone Else who is. Hope it sells well for them.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:48 am Reply with quote
Definitely getting this. And come March, I'll have my very first NIS America title.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Also, there was a short-lived sitcom starring Fred Savage called Working that I believe aired on NBC about a decade ago, if I remember correctly, so the name change could be to avoid confusion with that show.

If so, that would be why the title was changed. Two properties in the same field (TV/film in this case) can't have the same title.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

If so, that would be why the title was changed. Two properties in the same field (TV/film in this case) can't have the same title.

That didn't seem to stop Urasawa's Monster from being released here with the original title, despite an academy award winning movie also sharing that same name. So I'd think it also depends on other factors as well.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quote
The title can lead to confusion in other ways, too. I scheduled a few eps for a viewing room at NebrasKon 2 weeks ago, after first seeing it at Anime Iowa back in August. One of our tech guys walked in to check on things, watched for a few minutes, and asked me about the show. I said, "It's 'Working'," though I didn't shout it. He responded, "I can see that, but what's the title of the show?" "That is the title of the show, 'Working' with two exclamation marks."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7