• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nausicaa, Moribito, Eden of the East, Other U.S. BDs Dated

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
I wish Disney wouldn't be prudes about Only Yesterday and release it on R1 already. There's an online petition, if anyone's interested.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:58 am Reply with quote
sheez, I'm going to have to rob a bank or something, OI! Chobits to replace my broken disc 5?!! FLCL, I doubt would be better than the syncpoints I have... I wonder if Moribito is new enough to benefit greatly from the Blu-Ray Can they do much with Nausicaa? Won't it show the limit of the source material? ... and I just got the Samurai Champloo Blu-Ray about a month ago, so what's up with that? Guess they didn't get the memo on doing this stuff before Christmas, but who am I to complain? :Mine is an evil laugh!: Plus Summer Wars, and EVA...
mudduck454

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:40 am Reply with quote
I hope all they do is repackage the japanese blu-ray release of nausicaa and release it here, because the japanese release looks stunning,

and I was surprised at the moribito blu-ray, all I have is the walmart spindle pack on DVD, so a blu-ray is a great way to upgrade

and I also can't wait for chobits, but since it never had a japanese blu-ray release, I hope funimation doesn't screw it up, I will keep my 7 disc set untill I see the quality
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:36 am Reply with quote
Arthur: Miyazaki apparently had an anime-gasm from the re-mastered version, so I guess it worked out ok. Rolling Eyes
HiroNotHero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, a domestic blu-ray release of my favorite Studio Ghibli movie, Nausicaa! This is AWESOME news. Also, I'm looking forward to the Chobits blu-ray box set, Yu Yu Hakusho blu-ray, and the Moribito blu-ray.
Annf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote
I'm in the club of people waiting to see if the U.S. release of Nausicaa has lossless Japanese audio (unlike the U.S. Ponyo) and doesn't have the video mucked with like the U.K. release.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:00 am Reply with quote
I feel bad for ANN whenever Media Blasters makes a release announcement because I guess professionally it is obligated to treat it as actual news instead of the complete bullshit it will turn out to be.

Memo to Media Blasters: until you get your shit together, stop making announcements you know you will not be able to fulfill. Thank yew.
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
The UK BD for Nausicaa had DVNR dumped on it, so don't get too exited just yet.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:50 am Reply with quote
It was cool the first time I heard of the release dates for Evangelion 2.22 and Summer Wars, but it's really about time they have a release date for Tales from Earthsea. I'm currently waiting to hear if Funimation's FLCL set will have the same additional features that the previous synch-point box sets have, otherwise it's not worth replacing my single discs.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:35 am Reply with quote
I eagerly await the day that Blu Ray producers stop making the packaging so goddamn tacky.

edzieba wrote:
The UK BD for Nausicaa had DVNR dumped on it, so don't get too exited just yet.

What's DVNR?
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

What's DVNR?

Digital Video Noise Reduction.

Here is some information about that

http://www.lyris-lite.net/dvnr.html#intro
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
edzieba

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
What's DVNR?
Digital noise reduction. Nausicaa, being animated on cels and mastered on celluloid, as well as being a little old, has a lot of film grain. The JP BD release displays this film grain, but the UK BD release has edited this out. While it initially looks 'cleaner', it is mathematically impossible to smooth out the film grain without also destroying high frequency data (i.e. fine detail).
Basically, take a photograph, load it into photoshop, then ramp up the blur slider. That's DVNR. Some people may like the 'clean' look if they're used to purely digipaint shows (most shows made since the mid 90s) but many others hate it because it destroys detail that cannot be recovered*. The really annoying thing is that any half-decent TV can perform this smoothing process in real time as you play the disc with very close to the same 'quality' than DVNR applied before the disc is mastered. However, once the DVNR has been applied, it cannot be removed at playback.

*By this I don't mean that the original master is destroyed, but that no amount of filtering of the disc you have purchased will get that detail back.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote
oh man, so much blu-rays. I'm glad Blu-ray is catching on faster now, but I so do not have the cash after the holidays. Oh well save save save, spend spend spend spend spend spend spend spend .
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
This is too much release news for one post. I really debated on importing Nausicaa but I'm glad I decided to wait. Even though the Japanese cover was beautiful, I really like this one too. Especially with the new Studio Ghibli imprint Disney is doing.

I thought Summer Wars was going to be a March release especially since it'll be out of theaters at the end of January but I've been waiting for that along with Eva 2.22, Eden of the East, and my favorite shonen Yu Yu Hakusho. And it's all right after Christmas, when I'm trying to find things I actually want.

My bank account is going to look like the great depression through February and March. Anime cry
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 am Reply with quote
Anyone know if Souleater was produced in HD, or is this just another upscale. They are releasing the Japanese Blu-Ray next January so I am guessing that since it wasn't released early its not native HD, correct?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2