• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Metal Mania

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:10 am Reply with quote
The Lowered Expectations thing is from MADTV.

Anyway...

Quote:
or the made-for-TV abomination KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park. (Gene Simmons is in this film too, but without the make-up I didn't recognize him.)

You should look around for "Never Too Young To Die". It's the movie Simmons was made for. Rolling Eyes
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
I had this unrealistic expectation that the Death Metal band in DMC would make some kind of effort to sound like Death Metal.

nope.

They do exist in Japan though. (check out Mononofu)
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ran is incredibly petty. Her callousness towards her boyfriend in the show is particularly troubling. Her monkey-like “showboat boyfriend” Tatsuki cares for Ran far more than she cares for him. Ran is cruel to poor Tatsuki, dodging his kisses and even stooping to dating his younger brother for a free meal in one episode. The question of Ran's love for Tatsuki is left hanging right through to the end.

What's just as bad or even worse is how Rei treated Aya, especially in the second series. He mentally and emotionally abuses her without a care in the world and without even trying to communicate anything, and yet Aya takes it upon herself to understand her boyfriend and change herself. Super Gals is a fun show and I liked it for that, but it's another shoujo title that contains the kind of abusive relationships that shouldn't be enjoyed today even in fiction. As problematic as the relationship between Yuya and Mami still kind of was, I found myself rooting for that more.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
When I laugh, I'm never sure if I should feel proud or if I've wasted my life.

If you enjoyed wasting the time, then the time wasn't wasted.

Also, GO ERIN for bringing Fist of the North Star over to the thanksgiving gathering! IMO that is a MUCH better use of your time then American Rugby.
mckg1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
the combat butler has picked my interest. I'll see If I can check it out sometime soon.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Did SNL do it first? I remember the SNL commercial being older than the MADTV thing.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow... that cover on Hayate... I can't be the only Utena fan who momentarily went, "Wait, those don't come out until next year..." Probably intentional on the show's part, right?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Did SNL do it first? I remember the SNL commercial being older than the MADTV thing.

What commercial? If you're referring to the link, like the comments below the video said, that's MADTV not SNL, the person who uploaded the video screwed up the title. I can tell it's MADTV because that guy has played Eddie Murphy in other MADTV skits (though the only other one I remember at the moment is the "7 Buddy Cops" skit, but one example should be enough).

Anyway, regarding Hayate, I'll wait for boxsets, and pass on the other two. Very impressive shelves this week, some of those VHS tapes make some cool-looking images, I especially dig the Slayers ones.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Wow... that cover on Hayate... I can't be the only Utena fan who momentarily went, "Wait, those don't come out until next year..." Probably intentional on the show's part, right?

No, you not the only one, I also did a double-take.
animepuppy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Your definitely not the only one. When I saw the cover I was like "wait...what the...HOLY CRAP UTENA!!!Shocked"

Also the shelf pics. this week are awesome.
So many VHS tape...
utawoutau

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

The cover totally reminded me about how much I love Utena.

What are you referring to when you said, "those don't come out until next year"?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
What are you referring to when you said, "those don't come out until next year"?

Right Stuf license rescued the series (and the movie) and will be releasing it next year.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:

Utena is coming back to R1 DVD ! The Japanese remasters that came out last year look great compared to the original DVD release, so I am ordering mine ASAP.

Any show that does an Utena shout-out is OK in my book, and proves Erin's point that this show is aimed at old school otaku.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I stumbled across the DMC live action movie about a year ago, and since my family is all into Deathklok/Metalocalypse, as well as weird Japanese comedy it sounded like something we'd enjoy. So we all sat down, with no idea of what were were about to experience, and well... long story short, my brother now has Satsugai as his ring-tone (we all know the lyrics to pretty much all the songs), my father owns all the revoltech figures, we own what's out here of the manga, and await the anime to be licensed. We're all now extremely happy to do away with our digital DMC movie file now for the actual DVD. That movie made my family DMC nuts, and I love it. This dvd was a MUST BUY for all of us, and it'll also be a Christmas present for a few of my friends who loved the movie too.

DMC, this movie and the anime, are pretty much my family's Japanese Rocky Horror/Doctor Horrible in a cult musical loving family.
Quote:

The film throws in the theme; “No music, no dreams,” which seems lame and tacked on. Coupled with Ken'ichi Matsuyama's over-the-top, whiney performance as Soichi, the film sorely misses the point of DMC. The story hinges on the fact that Soichi has a natural talent for being Krauser. He's the best possible Krauser.

I gotta disagree with that there. Matsuyama's performance is probably the only reason why the movie works as well as it does for me and my family. Soichi has always been a little whiny thing that needs to get the metal punched back into him, and compare his Soichi to his Krauzer? You're not giving the boy enough credit. The anime gets away with giving the role two separate actors. Matsuyama portrayed both perfectly, and it helped show what a great actor he is. The only complaint I have is the script made Soichi a bit more "innocent/date movie friendly" than the manga, but I'm not blaming Matsuyama for that.

And "No Music, no dream!"?... I think you completely missed how perfect that theme/catchphrase was for what the movie is. It's THE quote of a movie that's cheesy as hell, but captures Soichi's innocent spirit, and it's and extremely memorable to the point that idiots like my family now yell it out of no where during our Rock Band competitions.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm angry that the DMC anime isn't out in America. I have been holding back on rewatching the series in hopes that someone releases it out here. I've been buying terrible anime lately and I want to buy one series KNOWING it's good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2