• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magica the Gathering

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or have those shelves been featured before?

Last edited by doubleO7 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
xScar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Is it just me or have those shelves been featured before?

They have, just two weeks ago.

I was quick to notice it as well...
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, that's my bad. New batch coming right up!
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Right Stuf absolutely bends over backwards to include great extras like this.

Those booklets are nice. Nozomi's releases are some of the nicest sets I have. Makes me glad that they were the ones to get Revolutionary Girl Utena. I'm so glad that I'll be able to replace my CPM releases. And speakning of Utena, I've been interested in Hayate the Combat Butler ever since the Utena parody cover. I'll have to rent it. For those who have read the manga, how is it? Although, from what I read, it doesn't seem like it comes with liner notes. A shame. Liner notes should be automatic in pop culture joke heavy shows.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wish Hayate had a dub with an adapted script so I get more of the jokes.

Dear Erin, here's some good news for you to know. Hayate does have an English dub but sadly it only airs on Animax Asia. But the dub is very good and the english jokes were funny as well (bonus points for the fact the narrator for the dub is British and sounds like the Fourth Doctor!) Thank Red Angel Media (the studio that did the english dub) for their good work.

Hopefully you can have a friend who lives in South East Asia record the show for you and watch it.[/quote]
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
The cat picture is the only one that won't display for me.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:33 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Dear Erin, here's some good news for you to know. Hayate does have an English dub but sadly it only airs on Animax Asia. But the dub is very good and the english jokes were funny as well (bonus points for the fact the narrator for the dub is British and sounds like the Fourth Doctor!) Thank Red Angel Media (the studio that did the english dub) for their good work.

Hopefully you can have a friend who lives in South East Asia record the show for you and watch it.

What! That's totally annoying! That should totally be on the Bandai discs...!
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:37 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Quote:
Right Stuf absolutely bends over backwards to include great extras like this.

Those booklets are nice. Nozomi's releases are some of the nicest sets I have. Makes me glad that they were the ones to get Revolutionary Girl Utena. I'm so glad that I'll be able to replace my CPM releases. And speakning of Utena, I've been interested in Hayate the Combat Butler ever since the Utena parody cover. I'll have to rent it. For those who have read the manga, how is it? Although, from what I read, it doesn't seem like it comes with liner notes. A shame. Liner notes should be automatic in pop culture joke heavy shows.

Manga varies from being individual chapters ending in punchlines to carrying setups over a volume or so. Still filled with references, gags and harem throughout. It does also have a plot, you do get the odd fairly serious chapter. Much loved by fans of tsundere, on account of Hinagiku.

Anime is good but season 1 has tons of filler, it's good filler but it is odd when you get to season 2 and it's only a month having passed scince the start. It's not all filler after a certain point either, the odd chapter in the manga is still there intact, but the rest of the arc is in season 2.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Liner notes for Hayate really would be really nice. Especially when you consider that Bandai had put together some nice liner notes for Lucky Star. I have a feeling the budget for the Hayate disks did not include the time (cost) needed to create such notes.

Maria Watches Over Us seems like one of those shows that you will love or, maybe not hate, but just not interested. I'm in the 'love the show' camp. Like Erin said, the characters draw you in, like a soap opera rollercoaster, and won't let go till it's done. The fourth season felt like a fifth could have been created, but I've not heard a peep about that. The live action show will be something to check out in due course.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Maria Watches Over Us seems like one of those shows that you will love or, maybe not hate, but just not interested. I'm in the 'love the show' camp. Like Erin said, the characters draw you in, like a soap opera rollercoaster, and won't let go till it's done. The fourth season felt like a fifth could have been created, but I've not heard a peep about that. The live action show will be something to check out in due course.

Yeah? I've been meaning to watch the show one of these days. I hate chick flicks with a burning passion, but some how this show sounds interesting. Besides, Right Stuf usually licenses decent stuff.
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And speakning of Utena, I've been interested in Hayate the Combat Butler ever since the Utena parody cover. I'll have to rent it. For those who have read the manga, how is it? Although, from what I read, it doesn't seem like it comes with liner notes. A shame. Liner notes should be automatic in pop culture joke heavy shows.

I also really wish the manga had liner notes, but aside from that and the relatively slow release schedule, the Viz translation is really good overall.

The anime is what first got me into Hayate, but I ended up liking the manga better. It's a lot more coherent and forward moving then the anime, even if it is still completely random at times. As mentioned, the manga has a little bit of everything, screwball comedy, light romance, parodies/references, action, even the rare bit of actual drama. (The manga gets more serious as it goes along, but the Viz release hasn't really caught up to that point quite yet.) Typically, you'll get strings of one or two chapter stories to break up the longer arcs.

It's also probably worth mentioning that it's a very long series for a comedy. The manga has been running for six years in Japan with no signs of stopping anytime soon. Seasons one and two put together only cover about half the manga released so far.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
JuicyB wrote:
JohnnySake wrote:

Yeah? I've been meaning to watch the show one of these days. I hate chick flicks with a burning passion, but some how this show sounds interesting. Besides, Right Stuf usually licenses decent stuff.

I can say for certain that Marimite does not succumb to those silly "chick flicks". Hell, the girls don't really think too much about guys, and they each have pretty distinctive and deep personalities.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I've only partially been following the manga and anime for Hayate, but I guess one of my favorite genres are these injoke heavy series. I was sold on the GaoGaiGar parody, along with the Gurren Lagann, Saint Seiya, Yu Gi Oh!! and so on. Lots of fun, in both formats.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Maria Watches Over Us ... The live action show will be something to check out in due course.

Even though I'm lukewarm on the anime, if the live action has a huge budget like Nodame or Hana Yori Dango I would totally watch that!
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
MrTerrorist wrote:

Hopefully you can have a friend who lives in South East Asia record the show for you and watch it.

What! That's totally annoying! That should totally be on the Bandai discs...!

Wow, your really angry about this. Maybe i shouldn't mention the first 3 seasons of Maria Watches Over Us are also dub in english on Animax Asia as well.......Wait. Shocked I just did that.

Oh crap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3