• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Play Arts Kai Ichigo Kurosaki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
Man, those legs are horrible... I really makes Ichigo look like a giant mech on the bottom half. Shame too, since like you said it looks really nice on the top half.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't see what the big deal is. Yeah, the legs are chunky, but no moreso than I'd expect from a pair of hakama pants made of plastic. Sure, it'd be better looking if it cost $200, but what wouldn't? For something in the sub-$50 range, I can't think of any other way they could have made this that would have looked any better. The only thing I could thing of would be to do "naked" hard plastic legs covered with that really light plastic they used on the old Star Wars figures for capes, which wouldn't look very good in any pose, and would be very prone to breaking. Either that or go with zero-articulation "single piece" legs, which would be even worse for potability. It certainly looks a lot better than if they'd tried to give it ball-jointed knees (with the legs contracting to awkward points above and bellow them).
_Emi_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hopefully Megahouse will make something soon.

I really wish Megahouse would show as much love to Bleach as they do to One Piece. They don't even have a Chad or Ishida PVC. At least give me my Kenpachi figure. At least what they did make is rather nice. Although, you probably can't tell what with my crappy picture taking skills. And speaking of PVCs, how about some PVC reviews? I've been rather disappointed that this column has become nothing but action figures.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
At least the last Astro Toy that included the adult version of Nel was a lot better.

Was kind of hoping this issue of Astro Toy would have been about her sister Hanibel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I got him at NYCC and I've been quite pleased with him. The legs aren't that bad. From the side they do look a bit odd, but I have him standing straight, and with the cloak, those joints aren't that visible anyway. I think it's tough to find a good compromise between look and mobility with the hakama legs (I think that's part of the reason there were virtually no poseable Bleach figures until now). I love the detail and the heft of the figure. It just feels really solid. I only have two complaints: 1. No stand!!!! I have him standing, but he's leaning against something. I've gotten him to stand on his own, but his weight always ended up tipping him over. It's really annoying. 2. The chain on his sword, or rather, the fact that it isn't a chain. It's just a strip of black plastic made to look like a chain. The only reason this bothers me is because there's a Play Arts line where almost every figure has actual chains on them: Kingdom Hearts. And this is Play Arts Kai which should be bigger and better in every regard, so what gives?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Bummer about getting a defective unit. I've purchased from Animewild via Amazon before and had a good experience, but mistakes happen.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Luckily, there's a 1/6 action doll of Ichigo with some very nicely detailed clothes with wires inside for wind-swept displays. It's sold-out everywhere I know, but it sure looks nice.

http://i56.tinypic.com/1zmko06.jpg

Mod note: images shouldn't break tables, thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1