• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Synthpop's YMO to Hold 1st L.A. Concert in 32 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astro98

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
That's cool. Yellow Magic Orchestra are one of the greats, and not just in Japanese music, but electronic music in general.
crazychild

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 am Reply with quote
On one of their live albums from an L.A. concert, you can hear some jackass yelling, "Pearl Harbor!," and other rude comments in between songs.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
The Yellow Magic Orchestra Biography at allmusic.com states:

The trailblazing force behind the emergence of the Japanese techno-pop sound of the late '70s, Yellow Magic Orchestra remains a seminal influence on contemporary electronic music -- hugely popular both at home and abroad, their pioneering use of synthesizers, sequencers and drum machines places them second only to Kraftwerk as innovators of today's electronic culture. YMO was formed in Tokyo in 1978 by keyboardist Ryuichi Sakamoto, who at the time was working on his debut solo LP; among his collaborators was drummer Yukihiro Takahashi, himself also a solo performer as well as a member of the art rock group the Sadistic Mika Band. The third member, bassist Haruomi Hosono, boasted an even more impressive discography, including four solo records as well as a number of production credits. ~ Jason Ankeny, All Music Guide
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Crap, right after I moved from California. I probably know every Cibo Matto song, and a few from YMO. Also, this is like 5 days before Anime Expo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Mangaka Riichi Ueshiba is their biggest fan and had included many YMO references in his manga (Discommunication in particular).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Michiru Oshima composed Le Chevalier D'Eon's score, not Sakamoto. Also, I think some of the credits in his entry belong to another "Ryuichi Sakamoto" (primarily the non music-related ones).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samehat ryan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Just got my tickets--- what a dream line-up Smile

In high school I was able to see Cibo Matto two times in Detroit in 1999 and 2000, though have seen Miho play both in support of of her bossa nova stuff w/ Smokey Hormel and her lovely solo album Ecdysis. They are

Seeing Hosono, Takahashi & Sakamoto live without having to fly to Japan will be the main treat though; unreal to get the chance; YMO has been on my WISH LIST OF BANDS TO SEE SOMEHOW BEFORE I DIE, which also previously included Kraftwerk, Prince, and Bowie. Going to be mega-fun!

Tickets are still on sale via the LA Philharmonic site for fans in California or surrounding areas!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1