• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: RIN-NE GN 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
I personally think some reviews are too harsh, remember this is, Rumiko Takahashi, this is only the 5th volume which is practically less than page one for her since all her major series are LOOOOOOOOOOONG! So basically it's still in the intro phase. InuYasha for one took about 9 volumes to introduce Sango but the series turned out great in the end. I think some people need to develop some patience for slower or long-running manga series.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
Takahashi's always been an episodic writer. (Was even Maison Ikkoku filler-free? I don't think so.) Like Gosho Aoyama kinda.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote
I kind of like Takahashi's filler...... not that anything would stop me from picking this up though.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
Isn't all her stuff filled with filler though? Even Inuyasha which was the series with the most structured story had lots of monster of the day chapters.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:35 am Reply with quote
For Takahashi, the "larger plots" are the filler - a way to introduce new characters, like Rinne's dad.

What the review calls "filler" is the main dish - the same one Takahashi has been churning out for years. Like it or hate it, that's mostly all there ever will be.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Takahashi's always been an episodic writer. (Was even Maison Ikkoku filler-free? I don't think so.) Like Gosho Aoyama kinda.

Rumiko Takahashi plans out each chapter by a week by week basis. If you read her series it's clear that she never really plans anything which generally results in her series losing steam by volume 20 simply because she doesn't know how to end it.

Denouncing her writing for not having continuing storylines would be like denouncing Cowboy Bebop for the same. Did Mushroom Samba or the episode with the cowboy have a point or continuation of the storyline? No, but there are also two of the best episodes in the series.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
Rumiko Takahashi is what got me into manga in the first place but after how long Inuyasha ended up being (and unlike a series like One Piece it definitely did drag) I decided after the first two chapters to not continue reading Rin-ne. I am sure it is a fun series (and like others here I don't mind Takahashi filler) but I dread the thought of how long it might end up being.
kill-chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is exactly the definition of manga filler, where storylines that matter are pushed aside in favor of quick, easy romps that leave the protagonists unaffected. It's a form of plotwise procrastination, like puttering around the house doing chores because you're too intimidated to start on the big assignment that's due for school or work.

I can see Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku e Ranma 1/2 in every single word of this quote.

The problem is elsewhere : for me, Rin-ne just lacks in inspiration
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Rinne's "fillers" really aren't that bad. Takahashi always comes up with a new, interesting concept each time, and the endings always have an unexpected, and usually funny, twist.

And right now, with 9 volumes, it's not so bad. But she's going to have to watch herself after 20 volumes have passed. I think that Rinne would be better off with less than 30 volumes. Having 56 volumes would just kill it for me.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
Takahashi's work, since "Lum" and through "InuYasha", has been plagued by occasional droughts of creativity that result in plot lines which are entertaining but ultimately serve no purpose ("Ranma 1/2" is perhaps the greatest example of this). However, to her credit, she always manages to follow it up with a really fantastic storyline that reminds readers why they love the series in the first place. As a fan of her work, I've come to grow used to this pattern, and use the defense that reading this filler is actually beneficial, because it gives us a glimpse into the artist's brainstorming process.

I am LOVING "Rin-Ne" at the moment, and look forward to the next major part. Anime smile
Dardre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit surprised that the reviewer is surprised at filler in a Takahashi series.

Anyone that's read her other long series would know that this is what she does. She did it in Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, and Inu Yasha.

It's so much a part of her long series that I'd be shocked if it didn't have filler.

Though those expecting something significantly different from those other three series are probably going to be disappointed.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:
I'm a bit surprised that the reviewer is surprised at filler in a Takahashi series.

Anyone that's read her other long series would know that this is what she does. She did it in Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, and Inu Yasha.

It's so much a part of her long series that I'd be shocked if it didn't have filler.

Though those expecting something significantly different from those other three series are probably going to be disappointed.

For that reason, I find this reviewer's opinions are meaningless. Why review the work of someone whose works you don't even like, clearly it's not for you and clearly he's not a Takahashi fan.

Damn, what is up with critics these days? Why do they have to have a say in every damn thing that they DON'T expect to like? Reviewers are just pointless these days, it reminds me when YuGiOh the first movie was listed among the worst films ever made. I don't like the series at all, but clearly it's NOT meant for other than the fans so why the hell were the critics and non-fans bitching about it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1