• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Supernatural The Anime Ships in North America in July

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
Jared dubbed 'all' episodes but Jensen only dubbed select ones?

I'm confused...

...Oh well, looking forward to checking the show out.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:12 am Reply with quote
Maybe it was too expensive for Jensen to be on the whole time? (which would be odd, considering its Warner Brothers.) Severe scheduling conflicts? Anyway, if the situation is what it sounds like it means, then there'll probably be some sound-alike for the character in the "non-select" episodes.

Have never cared to get into the series, but having seen the trailers for the animation series and the original series itself highlighted on Rob Bricken's Topless Robot Blog, this definitely has my interest piqued.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:16 am Reply with quote
Surprised they care that much about Japanese tracks, considering this is a spin-off of an American show. Maybe they're hoping to attract casual anime fans who don't watch Supernatural with this release?
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
This is good news for Supernatural fans who may be interested in the anime series. I had picked up the first Japanese blu-ray, but had not gotten around to watching it yet. (It had English dubs on it as well.)

Hopefully the crossover potential will be good for sales. I'm reminded of Witchblade and how fans of the comics (apparently) help drive sales for that title.

Glad to see Warner thinking about a larger audience!
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:21 am Reply with quote
I believe Jensen only dubbed the last two episodes or so. The rest of the episodes are dubbed by another guy who is pretty comparable. I've been watching Supernatural since the first episode 6 years ago and when I previewed the first episode, the V.A. for Dean is pretty good. Sounds pretty close so it didn't bother me at all.

I'm pretty excited for this. I've been debating on importing this the past several weeks. I figured it would probably make it over here eventually but I was getting too impatient. Hopefully all the extras make it over this way.

I hope they keep it "Supernatural: The Animation" though because "The Anime Series" looks so lame, imo.

EDIT: According to the press release, it looks like all of the extras should be there and sadly "The Anime Series" logo isn't going anywhere.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:13 am Reply with quote
Right on, can't wait!
sonickid101

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:02 am Reply with quote
so they dont have the original actors, and its not on TV? soooo what was the point?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Surprised they care that much about Japanese tracks, considering this is a spin-off of an American show. Maybe they're hoping to attract casual anime fans who don't watch Supernatural with this release?
I have no interest in Supernatural (or American live-action TV) but I'm willing to check out the anime since I'm hoping it wont have the same problems as the show. So yeah, I guess you can say that. Appeal to anime fans who don't care for American shows, makes sense.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:
so they don't have the original actors, and its not on TV? soooo what was the point?

This was aimed at the Japanese market. The U.S. release is a bonus.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
The VA for dean is fine, but the only reason that i can see they aren't using jensen is is if he just didn't want to. I mean i don't blame him, if you've ever watched a behind the scenes of people dubbing it's hard work, especially if your not even used to it. You can tell that jared isn't good at it since his words often don't sync up with the lips.

Anyway whether it's the dub or the sub i can't get through 2 minutes of the show without busting out laughing at the way they made dean look, he looks like a freaking pedophile.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
The VA for dean is fine, but the only reason that i can see they aren't using jensen is is if he just didn't want to.

I would speculate it's more about money than VA work, since he has VA experience playing Robin in the WB feature Batman: Under The Red Hood (recommended, by the way).

Last year was to be the last of Supernatural in the US, but apparently enough new and crisp $100 bills in a suitcase was enough to get both actors back into the roles, which was why you see Sam's haircut change vastly in the closing scenes of the final episode: they re-shot it all.

I haven't been keeping up with the series as I've just decided to buy the entire series on DVD.

This anime series will be set right along with the rest of it given this is truly one of the best television series to come out in quite some time, an opinion that's just not my own.

EDIT: Fixed Batman title. Hey, give me a break. Just watched it yesterday, after all.

Last edited by PetrifiedJello on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
The VA for dean is fine, but the only reason that i can see they aren't using jensen is is if he just didn't want to. I mean i don't blame him, if you've ever watched a behind the scenes of people dubbing it's hard work, especially if your not even used to it. You can tell that jared isn't good at it since his words often don't sync up with the lips.

Pretty sure he's used to it, since he has done voice work before in Batman:Under the Red Hood as The Red Hood, and he was in the Tron: Evolution video game.

And even live-action actors need to do ADR sometimes, which I would imagine would be harder than dubbing for anime, with its simple mouth movements.
AnimeGuy1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I watched episode 1 dubbed, very disappointed. Dean's face looks like he's surprised or some sort of joker. Plus the voice actor they used did not sound like the dean from the show at all.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
AnimeGuy1 wrote:
I watched episode 1 dubbed, very disappointed. Dean's face looks like he's surprised or some sort of joker. Plus the voice actor they used did not sound like the dean from the show at all.

Wait, what? Last I checked, Ackles did voice Dean in the anime...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
So.. any opinions from people who don't care what the characters look/sound like and judge it by itself? I'll be watching it subbed either-way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3