• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Dezaki's Due

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Osamu Dezaki proved himself a director for all seasons and all tastes; he directed the Air and Clannad feature films, showing he had just as much of a flair for quiet romance as he did for action and drama

*spit take*

Really? Okay, wow, guess I need to check those out. I'd given them a pass before, since I'd already had the TV adaptations and figured I didn't need another retread. But with that pedigree...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The one thing that Dezaki pioneered that needs to be brought back is watercolor pictures in anime. I first noticed that technique in G Gundam and it made it look like the next episode was going to be the most awesome anime episode ever just because of how the pictures hyped the next episodes.

Its kind of interesting to see how certain Directors tend to get known for one style and then you look at Dezaki and you see this huge variety from works like Golgo 13 to Rose of Versailles.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Weird old guys like me will remember and revere Dezaki...

It's not weird to admire one the greatest animation innovators of world animation history. Some animation fans admire obscure artists whom most people never heard of.

As child, I enjoyed Dezaki's "Treasure Island". Too bad, that it's not availble in English. I still need to watch "AIR" movie.

There was a NHK TV show (BS Anime Yawa) that actually talked about Dezaki's filming technique back few years ago on a video streaming site. It's pulled out, but luckily I saved it on a physical media.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He would direct five TV movies featuring the Lupin gang, none of them especially memorable.

Hemingway Papers is one of the best entries in the franchise!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I knew you'd be doing a piece on Dezaki, Mike. And it's great to see you bring up so many of his works (including One-Pound Gospel, which I wasn't quite expecting). And, thankfully, you didn't bring up Sword for Truth.

Very nicely done, Mike.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Like Mike, it's Dezaki's work on shoujo anime that intrigue me the most. I've only had the privilege of seeing a handful of episodes of both Aim for the Ace and Rose of Versaillles, but those are the shows that rank in the absolute upper levels of my personal desired R1 releases. Unfortunately for me.

It's also amazing that he's known for helming some of the most macho anime in existence (Ashita no Joe and Space Adventure Cobra) yet also is a seamless fit with the aforementioned shojo anime. Though I suppose in the 70s, there were a lot more of those "So hardcore shojo it goes all the way around and becomes macho" examples than there are today.
treatment

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
Osamu Dezaki proved himself a director for all seasons and all tastes; he directed the Air and Clannad feature films, showing he had just as much of a flair for quiet romance as he did for action and drama

*spit take*

Really? Okay, wow, guess I need to check those out. I'd given them a pass before, since I'd already had the TV adaptations and figured I didn't need another retread. But with that pedigree...

I like his versions of Air and Clannad. Actually own both movies on rj2.

Be forewarned, tho.

Just like Mike mentioned, Dezaki takes core-concepts and expands on them differently.

His versions of the respective series (especially the characters' moe) on both movies were decidedly different from the usual otaku-heavy moe-flavor of the tv-series. He also employed a more artsy cinematography flair on the Air movie.

Most likely, you won't like 'em at all if you're more versed in the tv-series.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
And, thankfully, you didn't bring up Sword for Truth.

Heh, I was almost a bit disappointed that he didn't, but maybe it was for the best after all. Razz

And yeah, this was a fantastic column, Mike. I've seen very very little of Dezaki's work, though hearing about his death did spur me on to pick up the Black Jack movie, and I hope to watch the OVA series at some point too. The man obviously left an enormous legacy to the world of anime.
charpkun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:55 am Reply with quote
Great article!!

Frankly, I've never really looked into Dezaki's history/filmography. I just casually knew him as the director for Tetsuwan Atom and Blackjack, but only because it was easy to associate him with the other famous "Osamu".

Not realizing it, I have watched many of his works. I wouldn't have expected this to be the work of the same person, but once you pointed out all the series he's helmed, I realized the similarities immediately.

And to think that he has continued to work in anime in the "modern" age proves his tenacity and versatility in working with his medium of choice.

Cheers to a wonderful director, you will be missed.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:03 am Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
His versions of the respective series (especially the characters' moe) on both movies were decidedly different from the usual otaku-heavy moe-flavor of the tv-series. He also employed a more artsy cinematography flair on the Air movie.

All of that is actually a part of what made the Air movie so good. I loved the artsy cinematography, and in addition to the non-moe design of the characters, Misuzu came across as a more assertive girl than she was in the series. And although the Clannad movie didn't exactly have everything that made the TV series great (in terms of all the moments and characters), it was still wonderful on its own too. Kudos to Mike for letting us know who was behind those movies.

Last edited by pachy_boy on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
rag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
It's good to see ANN do a small article to the Master. Thanks you.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Aw, I'm a bit sad to see no love for Brother, Dear Brother, but regardless, thanks a lot for the awesome article. (>")>
kailegh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote
gerbilx wrote:
Aw, I'm a bit sad to see no love for Brother, Dear Brother, but regardless, thanks a lot for the awesome article. (>")>

I was a little sad too.. but he did say it was better then average :') & those dramatic watercolor paintings will always be awesome. Always~

Last edited by kailegh on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Dudley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Oh dear, I didn't know Dezaki died till now! Sad
He was one of my favorite anime directors. Even if he long since passed his prime (his last "original" shows - Genji and Snow Queen - were mediocre at best IMO) he'll be sorely missed...

Your description of Ashita no Joe's visual style sounds awesome, I need to check this series out ASAP. I dunno why I haven't yet, I'm a huge old school anime nerd...

Gamba isn't quite as plucky and childish as it sounds here. Actually it's quintessential Dezaki - very grim, intense and dramatic, with a unique art style. And the bad guy, the white hermelin, is one of the most memorable antagonist in 70's anime. He's unapologetically evil and violent and guaranteed to give kids nightmares for days! Twisted Evil

Ace wo nerae's movie version needs to be mentioned as well. It's visually arresting and does a splendid job at compressing the first half of the manga into a mere 90 minutes.
Ace wo nerae is also a great example to show off Dezaki's excellence. There was a second series from 1978 was actually a remake of the first show, but done by a different team. The result is so run-of-the-mill, it's embarassing.

And then there's "Kasei Yakyoku", an undeservedly obscure OVA based on a lady's comic - the first time a lady's comic was adapted into anime! It isn't in the league of RoV, but it's still a very fine effort.

I only have one, very minor nitpick with this article... and it's kinda OT, so you may roll your eyes now. Razz
Shingo Araki was already a household name way before Saint Seiya. He was the character designer/animation director for the first half of RoV, which already brought him much acclaim. And before that, he was CD/AD for classic shows like "Majokko Megu-chan", "Galaxy Express 999" and "Grendizer".
Yeah, I'm pedantic, I know... Razz
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
There goes a visionary and an inspiration. Crying or Very sad Rest in peace, Dezaki-sensei. Ironic how most American otaku have never heard of Dezaki (I only found out about him in the end credits of Black Jack OAV, which is itself pretty obscure), yet he's had such a big influence on anime as we know it.

A few months back I found this great interview with the guy: http://aceonerae.dreamers.com/english/ace_ar01.html[/b]

Last edited by RapidEyeMovement on Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2