• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oni-con this weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I think it should say Houston TX. Dallas has a comic/scifi show this weekend, but no anime con.
Proz512

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I would be pissed to drive to Houston and find out its actually in Dallas.

(It actually is in Houston).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
No offense to the people of Oni-con, but why does that rate a news item? If it was noting something POST con, or making a note of something that will be happening AT Oni-con, I'd understand, but just out of curiosity, why does the mere fact that Oni-con is occurring this weekend rate a "news" item mention?
(especially considering that there was SUCH excitement to get this "news" out that the information is wrong, ie. the Houston v. Dallas thing)
biliano*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
No offense to the people of Oni-con, but why does that rate a news item? If it was noting something POST con, or making a note of something that will be happening AT Oni-con, I'd understand, but just out of curiosity, why does the mere fact that Oni-con is occurring this weekend rate a "news" item mention?
(especially considering that there was SUCH excitement to get this "news" out that the information is wrong, ie. the Houston v. Dallas thing)

Aw, quit complaining. You don't want anyone to attend?
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:53 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

ANN users, after being chastised for attacking reviewers now seem to be attacking what they choose to post as news items.

Is it really that big of a deal to you that they decide to post a couple lines of text that you need to waste time criticizing it?
Auroch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote
It might have been due to the fact that it is this weekend, so they posted it on the page everyone sees, I know I dont check the events page everyday.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem with people attending it, I know people that will be attending it, I know people involved with it, but Anime Reactor in IL is also this very weekend, yet not a word. AnimeUSA is next weekend, will that be noted? How about Nekocon, the weekend after that? I'm merely curious what the criteria is for such a thing. There are sites like www.anime-cons.com that are devoted specifically to showing you the convention schedule so I understand that noting each con right before it happens is pretty crazy. Had ANN noted something that will be happening at Oni-con I would understand the point. Had ANN reported on something at Oni-con, I would understand the point. Instead, it was simply noted that "Oni-con is this weekend" followed by WRONG information about the place. To me this is like saying "Initial D vol. 10 released on 10/12" (it was vol. 14 released a week and a half ago), but wouldn't such a notice make you wonder "uh, ok, so why are we making a big deal over that specific book?"
Is ANN looking to promote Oni-con specifically? Or was the con chosen at random? Was it a slow news week? I'm asking what the thinking was that got it noted there. What if I want a particular con noted later, is there a process?
BlaznRoarn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Or get on with your life and don't worry about it. It was a fun con. New ADV (hometown of houston) licenses were released so there ya go.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Just to give Heero the reason that it what news is because it was the first year of Oni-con.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:16 pm Reply with quote
He could get on with his life, but he's asking a legitamate question. After all, since this is a news site. It's perfectly valid to ask what the criteria is to have a con posted as regular news; even more so, why a specific con might be mentioned over another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
He could get on with his life, but he's asking a legitamate question. After all, since this is a news site. It's perfectly valid to ask what the criteria is to have a con posted as regular news; even more so, why a specific con might be mentioned over another.

Like I said, it was the first ever Oni-con, that would count as news to me. Granted, it wasn't huge, so people wouldn't be flocking from all over to see it, but those in and around Houston, and all the way up in the Austin or maybe even Dallas area might have come after seeing the news on ANN. Considering they may never have heard of it before.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:13 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
Like I said, it was the first ever Oni-con, that would count as news to me. Granted, it wasn't huge, so people wouldn't be flocking from all over to see it, but those in and around Houston, and all the way up in the Austin or maybe even Dallas area might have come after seeing the news on ANN. Considering they may never have heard of it before.

Anime Vegas was new in September (and notable being the first con in Vegas), O-chibicon was in August (first con in Houston) neither of these were noted in this fashion in the previous two months. Anizona is in March as is Kamekazecon, will either of those get noted as a first year? From what I can tell, Oni-con was VERY successful in their first year and congrats to their team for that. I know members of their team were on cosplay.com and promoted on there for that reason, do they have supporters on ANN that chose to promote them on this site? Or is there another reason that they got noted as a "news" item, seeing as the "it was their first year" doesn't seem consistent with any other anime con.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:54 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Anime Vegas was new in September (and notable being the first con in Vegas), O-chibicon was in August (first con in Houston) neither of these were noted in this fashion in the previous two months. Anizona is in March as is Kamekazecon, will either of those get noted as a first year? From what I can tell, Oni-con was VERY successful in their first year and congrats to their team for that. I know members of their team were on cosplay.com and promoted on there for that reason, do they have supporters on ANN that chose to promote them on this site? Or is there another reason that they got noted as a "news" item, seeing as the "it was their first year" doesn't seem consistent with any other anime con.

From my experience so far....it depends who sends ANN information. When I started KosaiKon, ANN was one of my first places to go to advertise. As such, there was a few mentions of KosaiKon on the front page.
If a convention - new or old - doesn't send out press releases or anything to let the press know that they are happening, then they aren't going to be reported on. It's pretty simple. The Oni-Con people probably just sent something to the editors saying "Hey, we're doing this at this time and in this place." If the AniZona (or whatever convention) people send something, most likely they will get the same treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1