• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote
Then by all means Kirkdawg revel in the deliciously smug realization that you are a far more evolved and sensitive dude than I am.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Somehow the pace of this show with 2 episodes remaining...will probably leave a bitter taste in my mouth but I'll ride it out and hope to be surprised.

I'm a little more hopeful than that, since I feel like the end of episode 9 started to get things moving again, with Jinta spoiler[realizing that he doesn't want Menma to disappear when her wish is granted]. Sure, it's not exactly a logical reaction but what about any of these characters has been logical? They're teenagers! :p

And so I do have pretty high hopes for those last two episodes and wish I could watch them now, which is something unique to AnoHana when it comes to anime this season (Deadman Wonderland used to warrant such excitement but it's beginning to implode a bit so not so much these days). Of course, I could be proven wrong but I really am going in believing that we'll get a good ending that wraps things up as much as is possible, given what has happened over the course of the series.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I kind of felt how Yadomi was feeling about Menma was at least implied, which is why I felt it wasn't much of a development when they smack the viewers over the head with it in episode 9. I feel sorry for poor Anaru honestly, I'm looking forward to how they will/will not spoiler[fall out with each other]
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I kind of felt how Yadomi was feeling about Menma was at least implied, which is why I felt it wasn't much of a development when they smack the viewers over the head with it in episode 9.

Oh, it was definitely implied before but now Jinta himself is aware of it, which IMO is a big development for him or at least the beginning of a big development.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
Having recently finished ep 10, I'm not exactly sure how the series will end. However, I am hoping for some kind of good ending that wraps up as much as they can.

But... I don't know... what... to expect... Anime dazed

On another note... personally I thought the "slap over the head" in ep 9 was something that was more than just implied. But it was good to see things come out in the open. And it certainly could be an important development for the end of the series.
ZeroSkyVII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
I rushed to catch up about 4 episodes so I don't remember if it was in 9 or 10, but AnoHana finally brought me to real tears when Menma spoiler[mentioned them being married.] My weak point has always been the 'what could have been, but will never be' point.

Anime cry
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Finale

Well, to start off, I suddenly lost my interest in this show and kind of lost my mood for it, but I went ahead and watched the finale for completion and see if my theory about it's ending would be true.

And... Discussion:

spoiler[The final episode was what I had in mind for an ending. The groups comes together to admit their mistakes and why they "grew apart". Although, that wasn't really the case, they actually talked about their flaws and this realization allows Menma to pass on. Menma's existence in the show was to bring the group back together and make the bond last.]

My reason for my lost in interest in this show is the characters. spoiler[I don't know why but I had a sudden dislike for them. I couldn't sympathize with them and the show didn't really bring me to tears - This, I blame my apathy and my mood swings. Shame, because if I had appreciated the characters more, I'm sure I would have gave this a better rating. Now, before you guys think I'm an emotionless bastard, I have to say there was a scene that was moving. Menma's final words. That scene was something I didn't anticipate and a great way for Menma to say goodbye. I'll also admit that I expected Menma to be fully visible to the group after they confessed but that was wrong. That "change" really enforces the atmosphere during the final moments.]

Overall, I'll give it a Very Good, depending on the criticism given by others, I might upgrade it to Excellent.

Edit: Added more stuff.

Do I recommend AnoHana? Yes, I do, it is a heartwarming tale of friends who regroup after years apart only to find out the distance between them have grown. If you can sympathize with this, you will find enjoyment within this anime. Some may view the show as force drama but I'd say it creates a new message of moving on.

The music was glorious as well and for it being beautiful, it gets this message about it being glorious.
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
I have to say, I've seen quite a bit of anime, but this one hit me pretty good. I didn't cry, but it tugged on some strings.

I like the closure especially[spoiler[spoiler]how everyone can finally move on in the end. You see Jintan and Anaru being flirty, Tsuruko and Yukiatsu also kind of being flirty, Poppo trying to get back in school.]

It was really refreshing and my favorite anime of the season.

I know people like to be stingy and not give out masterpieces, but I will give credit when credit is due. It has superb animation, top notch voice acting, a very good and intriguing plot, and even though it has a theme that's been done time and time again, it still brought enough to make it unique and fresh.

It's a masterpiece to me.[/spoiler]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
I don't like starting my Friday's off with tears running down my face in front of a computer, but I've just watched the finale so that's the way this one is starting off.

EmbraceMe - I get what you said about not liking the characters even though I don't feel the same way. I pretty much liked everybody except for the Tsuruko (Glasses Girl) and Yukiatsu (Crossdresser).

For myself, I'll give the show an Excellent rating. Every now and then I like to have my heart's strings tugged and this one did the job very nicely. I think Menma was a great creation and the animators and her seiyuu did a great job of bringing her alive (no pun intended).

I'm also assuming Jintan will commence boning Anaru promptly.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
LIKE A WATERFALL!!!!!!!

A LOUD, SNIVELING WATERFALL!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I definitely got a bit teary-eyed too. It was a very lovely show, IMO the best this season had to offer (though best of the year still goes quite easily to Madoka).

I actually really liked all the characters, though Yukiatsu and Jinta both drove me a little crazy at some times. But even then they still have relatable characteristics that made them still feel real, or at least as real as any character in a melodrama such as this one.

Definitely a show I would recommend watching, though I can't call it a must-see.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the ending. So, spoiler[are they gonna have her and Jinta's mom reincarnate already, because if they're not going to in some sort of sequel, then why bring that up and then cockblock it by not delivering? Or are we supposed to write fanfic to make that happen? Is this supposed to be an inspiration for user-generated content]?
richter3456

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Every now and then I like to have my heart's strings tugged and this one did the job very nicely.

^ That's just like me. I don't usually watch animes that revolve around drama. Most often, you'll find me watching comedy or slice of life, but every now and then I don't mind this kind of an anime. I would give AnoHana an Excellent rating. The only thing that I have to say is that there is too much crying, and over the same subject at that. But it's still a good anime and I would recommend it to anyone.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how it happened, but I totally missed it when the series came out. I marathoned the whole thing in two days, which was not all that difficult.
Except for the last episode, I really liked it, and I was about to give it an excellent rating up until episode #10, although I could not really relate to the strange obsession of Yukiatsu and Jintan. Childhood love is one thing, sniffing a wig hidden in the closet is another.

Anyways, much as I liked it, I found the last episode a bit exaggerated; I guess the point of the crying seance was a sort of psychotherapy where everyone would say what bugged them for the past few years. But the goodbye itself was too much of a good thing perhaps... So all in all, a very good rating from me.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for resurrecting this thread simply because I just saw it last night in a marathon (CR had a T'shirt special (those daily things) and it mentioned it was from this... didn't even know it existed until I did research on the shirt).. does anyone have ANY information if this will ever see the light of day in the USA?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11