• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fall 2011 Anime Spotlight

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:21 pm Reply with quote
You definitely need to read the Gundam AGE story or else skimming it and seeing this:

Flit Asuno
VA: TBA
Age 14. Despite his youth, he has developed the Gundam and the AGE System, based on the data within the AGE Device entrusted to him by his mother.

Asemu Asuno
Age 16. Flit's son.

Kio Asuno
Age 13. Asemu's son.

Will scare you.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
If I had to go by the story and the series designs, I'd have to say it looks like it's going to be crappy kid-pandering.

Any show that honestly wants us to believe that a seven year-old can design a Gundam sounds...iffy. Even the world's smartest seven year-old generally is doing pretty well to put together a toy robot kit.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if SPALLOW is actually supposed to be SPARROW. Rs and Ls. *sigh*
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
So I heard that this series was going to follow a family of Gundam pilots over three generations and I was intrigued... and now they announced they ARE ALL GUYS. Why couldn't one be a DAUGHTER? Huh? There have been female Gundam Pilots before (Roux Louka, Allenby Beardsley, Asuna Elmarit, Cagalli, I could go on.... (and, heh, some people might jokingly add Loran Cehack to that list too)) so could they not have had one of these be a girl. I will still give it a go but this is a huge let down, I was convinced when I saw the trailer initially one of them was supposed to be female, I though 'finally a female Gundam protagonist in TV series' but no.

Last edited by GracieLizzy on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
If I had to go by the story and the series designs, I'd have to say it looks like it's going to be crappy kid-pandering.

Any show that honestly wants us to believe that a seven year-old can design a Gundam sounds...iffy. Even the world's smartest seven year-old generally is doing pretty well to put together a toy robot kit.

To be fair he is modifying a pre-existing design, not starting from scratch according to the plot synopsis and it does take 7 years.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

The complaints so far, which seem to be the same everywhere, are, uh, kind of exhausting and based on oh so very little (neither softer/"silly" character design nor youth worship are new to Gundam - you could even argue the latter is a core element).

I don't intend to be too defensive over it, though, since at this point who knows how it'll really be. It'll just be nice to see something new.

Speaking of being able to see things, this whole set of features with the English logos and everything is very encouraging. I know it doesn't guarantee anything, but hopefully these shows will be simulcast...?
TeenyDratini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Phi Brain looks stupid, but the guy with the afro looks hilarious.
C3 looks like another pointless moe fanservice anime that could've been better if it hadn't been focused on the moe and fanservice.
Don't know about Gundam because I haven't seen the other ones and I don't want to start with the newest one.

I'm not watching any of these.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure there's going to be some complaining about some shows that don't get featured but, I'm really liking this new anime spotlight feature. I'm sure its a ton of work to do something like this and I really appreciate it.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Banken wrote:

To be fair he is modifying a pre-existing design, not starting from scratch according to the plot synopsis and it does take 7 years.

A 100 7 year-olds could work for seven years and they still wouldn't be able to build a car, much less a Gundam.
geishageek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I want to like Phi Brain but I can't help thinking how ugly the character designs are. They almost look unpolished and unfinished to me. I will give it a go as I love puzzles but I may not be able to keep my eyes pleased.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Great job on the showcase so far! I like all the neat details! Razz
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:
Banken wrote:

A 100 7 year-olds could work for seven years and they still wouldn't be able to build a car, much less a Gundam.

Except that by the end of that they'll all be 14. Which is a smidge more believable, after all worlds' youngest university graduate was 10 years and four months and he earned his Junior College degree at 8.

Also you seemed to have missed something:

Quote:

A.G. 108
As the fighting with the UE continues, the previously peaceful space colony Orvan also comes under attack. A seven-year-old boy named Flit Asuno, who has been living here, loses his mother when she is caught in the crossfire. But as she dies, his mother entrusts him with the AGE Device, a memory unit that has been handed down through generations of their family. It contains plans for the legendary Mobile Suit Gundam, which was once called a savior. Following his mother's wishes, Flit decides to build the Gundam.

A.G. 115
Now 14 years old, Flit has been taken in by the Federation Forces' Arinston base at the space colony Nora. For seven years, he has continued his research with the help of the base's engineers, and the Gundam is finally complete. Installed in the Gundam is the revolutionary AGE System, which makes it capable of self-evolution. But the day he has been dreading has finally come... The evil hand of the UE has reached the peaceful colony Nora. And now Flit must fight, using the Gundam of his own creation. Will Flit be able to overcome the UE, the dreaded enemy which has remained completely undefeated for 14 years...?

So in other words a child prodigy provides the research and modifies the designs of a pre-existing Gundam blue-print and it is developed and built by a shed load of engineers. Over the course of seven years. That's arguable on par with Kamille Bidan sorting out the problems that stopped the Zeta from transforming.

Last edited by GracieLizzy on Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:43 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
geishageek wrote:
I want to like Phi Brain but I can't help thinking how ugly the character designs are. They almost look unpolished and unfinished to me. I will give it a go as I love puzzles but I may not be able to keep my eyes pleased.

Same here with too. I wanted to watch Phi Brain at first but the character designs kinda scare me a bit x-x.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Phi Brain looks pretty generic. Shounen-styled male with glasses on his head? Check. And those character designs are just... eh.

When I first heard of and saw the art of C^3 on the chart here: http://neregate.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/neregate.com-Fall-2011-Anime-v6.jpg , I thought it sounded interesting. After seeing the promo video though I am not quite as hyped.

I'm just not watching Gundam. I haven't seen any of them since I was like 7 and it was on Toonami, and I don't think I'll ever start. :\

My hopes are pretty high for this season though. Guilty Crown and Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon I plan to check out, but there are others.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I actually can't wait to see this new Gundam (at least this show won't have any fanservice). This new Gundam will do well with younger and older audience.

Btw, I am crossing -C^3- out off of my list, I am really tired of these moe shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11